Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2019, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivvy View Post
Avid needs to fix quantize in 12 not as tight as it was in 9 and 10 protools in next update that would nice!
Have you opened a support case?
Old 09-08-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmixer View Post
Pro tools 9 - 7 updates over 12 months
Pro tools 10 - 9 updates first year - 6 2nd year
Pro tools 11- 10 updates first year
Pro tools 12 - 6 updates first year year 6 second year 4- 3rd year
in fact since the so called support plans Zzzzvid updates to pro tools have actually gone down
PT10/11 had more updates than average, because of AAX and 64bit.

If you go back to DigiDesign times you find that
- PT8 only had 8.1, 8.1.1 (and 8.5 for HDN card owners). PT8 in 2008, PT8.1 in 2010, for what it's worth.
- PT7 had 7.1 for native / 7.2 for dsp, 7.3 (universal binary), 7.4, 7.4.1 and 7.4.2; again, PT7.0 in 2005 and PT7.4.2 in 2007
- PT6 also had numerous updates because it was the first OSX major build, but with PT6 the mid update (6.4 for dsp, 6.7 for native) was a paid upgrade; this time it only took one year to go from 6.0 to 6.4 but they needed to release a lot because OSX was a moving target.
- PT5 got surround in 5.1 (how nice a version number for surround release) -- started with stable OS9 time taking two years from 5.0 to 5.1 but after that, because of surround and hd hardware introduced, PT5 got a bunch of updates up to 5.3.1

Just sayin' if Avid released 4 a year (guaranteed and foreseeable end of quarter releases) it would be fantastic. I don't think they will ever get monthly releases because those builds need to be beta tested too. That team mostly isn't on Avid payroll. And I wouldn't like to update my production system monthly either.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:19 AM

With that said; in my imaginary world 2019.9 release would fit in perfectly. Then waiting for 2019.12. These 3/6/9/12 would be the ones we would expect from Avid and be throghly beta tested. I would be happy with it.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:56 AM

Well if we’re going to go that far back, we should also point out that there were many CS releases that were essentially small updates to fix certain bugs that were deemed high priority.

One could argue that since the support plan came into effect, some of these releases have been solely maintenance releases with no new features which would be (IMO) the equivalent of a CS release.

Just sayin’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2019, 04:00 AM

Yea, true, but very few remember that CS releases were not going through same beta testing than number releases.

The problem today is we don't know which are the good releases. Or at least if we know now that 2019.5 is well tested and 2019.6 little less so, we won't remember it later and some day will think 2019.6 must be better than 2019.5 because it is bigger number, right?

If I was in charge of the releases, first thing I'd do is set a release schedule as I pointed out. People could expect a well tested release end of every quarter, and any other releases that may need to be out can be "CS" updates that are less rigorously tested. And people could choose to ignore those if not suffering from the problem a CS release is fixing.

Just sayin'
Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 AM

Also CS releases were free and every owner of a license got them. As it should be for bugfixes. We paid a price for working software - there are bugs? That's fine, but fixing them should be on you not on us.
Nowadays you don't even get that. I like to bring up the random fullscale noise blasts that took Avid months to resolve. They were dangerous for the equipment and a health hazard, literally.
If you weren't on a plan, you couldn't even wish for getting this fixed. It's madness.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 09-08-2019, 04:08 AM

Months to fix the noise blasts? More like years!!

I saw that bug pop up in various different releases spanning a few years. IIRC when I had that happen on my rig, it was around the PT8 era. Wasn’t pleasant.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Also CS releases were free and every owner of a license got them. As it should be for bugfixes. We paid a price for working software - there are bugs? That's fine, but fixing them should be on you not on us.
True. Which is another point that proves my point (bring back CS updates is the flip side of the coin of scheduled quarterly releasers)
Old 09-08-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Months to fix the noise blasts? More like years!!

I saw that bug pop up in various different releases spanning a few years. IIRC when I had that happen on my rig, it was around the PT8 era. Wasn’t pleasant.

Oh, really was it that long? I only remember experiencing it frequently starting with 11 I think. Didn't happen on earlier releases for me. But with 11 I had it several times a week, almost gave me PTSD, no joke.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 09-08-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I think they started on PT9 when Avid opened PT to 3rd party interfaces. Never heard of a PT8 or earlier (DigiDesign-branded) system suffer from it.