Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2017, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Can't import audio in PT 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
According to this : http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...m-Requirements

10.12.5 is not certified.
Works great with 10.12.5

No major updates that would inflict any bugs in PT.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-08-2018, 09:56 AM

I'm curious if you ever found the solution to this problem. I just got hit with the same thing and can't find a solution.

The only thing that's changed on my setup is that I upgraded my system software from 10.9.5 to 10.12.6 a couple of months ago. I didn't have the problem until just a week ago, though.

Thanks a lot,
Jon

Mac Pro
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon ES
16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

OS X 10.12.6
PT 12.2.0
Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 PM

Yup. I just got hit with this, too. The only thing that's changed on my system is that I haven't booted PT up for months. Other than that, my system is absolutely identical to last time I ran PT and was able to successfully import audio. Downloading to reinstall PT now. it's been, oh, I dunno, 25 years or so, and PT remains far and away the most fragile of any audio app I use.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytheo View Post
Yup. I just got hit with this, too. The only thing that's changed on my system is that I haven't booted PT up for months. Other than that, my system is absolutely identical to last time I ran PT and was able to successfully import audio. Downloading to reinstall PT now. it's been, oh, I dunno, 25 years or so, and PT remains far and away the most fragile of any audio app I use.
You haven't changed anything in your system in months? What operating system are you using? Have you turned off automatic updates if you're using Windoze? Is your operating system compatible with the PT version you're trying to run? You give zero system info which would go a LONG way to helping you. Try reading/following the 'help us to help you' link that's at the top of every forum page.

How are you trying to import audio? Via the menu item? Drag and drop from a folder? Sometimes with a combo of PT and incompatible operating systems using the import audio item from the menu will barf. You end up using drag & drop of the file.

With a properly set up system PT isn't all the fragile.

QAPLA!
Old 07-24-2019, 11:57 AM

thanks for the response!

I didn't list system info because, as I said, nothing in my system has changed for months, actually, years, and I have used Pro Tools extensively in that time, so it is clearly not an incompatibility problem. For the record, I am using a Late 2013 Power Mac running OS X 10.11.6 and Pro Tools 12.2.0. Clearly, I will need to upgrade my OS if I upgrade PT, because newer PT is not compatible with El Capitan, but 12.2 has been fine on my system for years.

I tried dragging audio in from the Finder, using the File>Import Audio command, and importing it in the Workspace window. All produce the identical result described before: the error appears immediately. Actually, the workspace window seemed to not even see audio files,but I will admit that, since the other two methods had already failed, I did not pursue the issue, I just moved on when it didn't work.

As I said, it has been quite a while since I booted PT (I've been using other tools). It's actually not the first time I have had PT booti up with a problem when it hadn't been booted for a while, but it is the most surprising example. Plainly, some file somewhere got moved or corrupted by something that happened in common usage on the computer.

I could try trashing prefs and such, but that does not appear to have helped another poster who had this problem. Given how old my system and PT are, I think it probably easier and more effective to just reinstall, and that is my plan, unless someone has isolated and solved this problem before.

With respect, I have used PT since it first came out, sometimes in professional, high-volume production environments, sometimes in personal studio environments, and I have done music, film, TV, video games, and other kinds of production on it. In my experience, it crashes more often, produces more errors, requires reinstallation more often, and exhibits odd bugs more often than any of the many other audio software programs I have used over the years (with the notable exceptions of the very early and very, very, very bad Hybrid Arts Digital Master and Southworth Total Music).

If it is stable for you, then that is wonderful, but over many years, many studios, many computers, many OSes, and many PT versions, it has always given me far more trouble than anything else. If I totally hated it, I wouldn't be trying to use it, but I cannot deny to myself a quarter century of experience with it.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:52 PM

Reinstalling PT solved the problem. All good again.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytheo View Post
thanks for the response!

I didn't list system info because, as I said, nothing in my system has changed for months, actually, years, and I have used Pro Tools extensively in that time, so it is clearly not an incompatibility problem. For the record, I am using a Late 2013 Power Mac running OS X 10.11.6 and Pro Tools 12.2.0. Clearly, I will need to upgrade my OS if I upgrade PT, because newer PT is not compatible with El Capitan, but 12.2 has been fine on my system for years.
I don't know why I got an email notification about this thread this morning (August 15 2019) but looking at what you wrote here made me take another look and respond.

It doesn't matter that things haven't changed in months or years but with what you are running has basic issues. First off there is no such animal as a late 2013 Power Mac. What you have is a Mac Pro cylinder shaped machine or what we call a trashcan. Second and more important is you're running El Crapitan which is the worst OSX Apple has ever released. It's universally reviled around here.

If you're not running a properly configured system then be surprised if you don't have issues from time to time even though it may work okay for a little while and then start throwing errors. It's like the foundation of a building - if it isn't built right then don't be surprised if things collapse at some unknown time.

QAPLA!