Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-23-2017, 09:40 AM

Default Has Avid Quietly Discontinued The Mbox 3

Pro Tools Expert:

"I was browsing through the Avid website this morning to come across something strange. I could not find any Avid Mbox 3 product listings under audio interfaces for Pro Tools. The only non HD Pro Tools audio interface currently listed on the Avid website is the Eleven Rack. I searched through a number of Pro Tools dealer websites to find the Mbox 3 range either "out of stock" or not listed at all. We believe Avid quietly discontinued the Mbox 3 range and furthermore retired the Mbox name altogether, that's a shame - It's an end of an era."
Old 07-23-2017, 12:29 PM

Default Has Avid Quietly Discontinued The Mbox 3

This isn't news. Avid finished discontinuing the Mbox 3 line 2.5 years ago. They've also released and discontinued the Duet and Quartet since then.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-support-dates

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Has Avid Quietly Discontinued The Mbox 3

Jimmy - what is the replacement for MBox 3 Pro these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 07-23-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
Jimmy - what is the replacement for MBox 3 Pro these days?
The "replacement" is any number of interfaces from UAD, Apogee, Focusrite, Presonus, Antelope, Audient, ... the days of Avid doing consumer interfaces is hopefully well and truly over. The only consumer interface they still sell is the Eleven Rack, and that's just hanging in.

If folks are after help here selecting an interface they should describe their computer system, and what you are trying to do/what, computer connection and audio inputs and outputs you need, and price range, and folks can help you. Info on other audio gear, preamps, etc. helps as well.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The "replacement" is any number of interfaces from UAD, Apogee, Focusrite, Presonus, Antelope, Audient, ... the days of Avid doing consumer interfaces is hopefully well and truly over.
And that's because they realized people would pay the same price for just the software that they were previously paying for the hardware and the software.

Really says a lot about the mentality of consumers.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:37 PM

Avid has tried multiple consumer interface lines over the last decade or so and ultimately failed, and tried rebadging others and also failed. They likely just do not have resources to support doing any of this. Lots of the development folks are long gone, many now at these other interface vendors.

And the mentality of consumers is likely that would rather have open choices of interfaces from a large number of providers. Many of who do a much better job of supporting drivers/OS releases than Avid can.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

And the mentality of consumers is likely that would rather have open choices of interfaces from a large number of providers. Many of who do a much better job of supporting drivers/OS releases than Avid can.

Can't agree with that since consumers are now paying more for less.
Can't understand why people are willing to pay more for the software alone than they were paying for the software with an interface.

Even worse now with the subscription nonsense.

The market that suffered the most was the mBox market (which is what this thread was about) because again the software alone cost what they were selling them for.