Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-22-2015, 11:02 PM

Default Bouncing to Disk with outboard FX

I have searched and read what I can find about this issue that is dogging me, to no avail. I have an Aphex Compellor set up as a hardware insert in my system. I load this into the insert space on my submix bus. (all audio from my session ultimately passing through this bus). The output from the submix is my main outs (Mon L/R). When i do a simple playback of the file, everything is fine and I can clearly hear (and see) the compellor do its thing during the playback. However, when i go to bounce to disk, the process seems to execute and I can hear the audio as it is being bounced (real time, not off-line). But there is no audio in the bounced mp3 file. The newly created mp3 has size (e.g. 8.5 MB) but will not play in quick time, wavelab 8.5, or any software app I choose that normally will play mp3s. If I check "offline" during the bounce, a fully functioning mp3 is created, but of course, the compellor is left out of the loop in this case. Through reading the previous threads on this forum, I have learned to turn off low-latency monitoring (done) and increase the HW buffer size. I have tried every buffer size without success. I realize this topic has been discussed several times over the years on this forum but I was unable to find a solution after reading the threads I could find and trying the suggestions. I would truly appreciate any help you can offer. Many thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Bouncing to Disk with outboard FX

Hi,

Is your bounce path definitely set to your main outputs L and R

In the bounce to disk window you can assign the bounce path, check it is set to your Main outputs L/R

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:52 AM

yes - I have tried multiple "bounce sources" in the bounce to disk window. I have deleted my i/o setup and replaced with the default values. I have checked all the outputs in my mix to ensure there are no discrepancies. It's maddening!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:03 AM

One other piece of info that may/may not be relevant. My outboard gear (a couple of Lexicon reverb rack units, the compeller, and an Aphex Expressor) are all connected with my system via a secondary audio interface. My primary interface is the Apollo Quad. The secondary interface - RME Fireface 800 - is connected via ADAT to Apollo. The outboard gear are connected via 1/4" patch cables to the RME. The signal flow works fine in that I am able to route any audio signal from within my protools session to any of this gear without difficulty. I have the Compellor as an insert (i/o) on the main submix bus of my mix. I hear it and see the Compellor meters jumping during playback (whether in bounce to disk mode or just simple playback). I just can't seem to get the audio signal to print during bounce.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:14 AM

Hard to say what's the problem, but if you just need to get the job done, why not Print To Track instead of bouncing? It is going to be realtime after all, because of the hardware insert.

So, route that mix to another audio track and record it there. It is 100% identical to bouncing. Then convert that WAV to MP3 if needed.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM

Janne - thank you for the suggestion. I took it and was able to create the audio file as you described. I did have difficulty controlling the input volume to the new audio track in that I couldn't boost it to get the signal as hot as I would have liked. Not sure why.

Back to the primary issue with the lack of printing the file with the outboard insert in play - I tried directly connecting the Compellor to my primary interface. I basically removed it from the RME (secondary interface) and plugged the 2 Compellor outs into line inputs 3/4 on my Apollo. And Apollo line outs 3/4 connected to the 2 Compellor inputs. I went to my I/O setup window and adjusted in the hardware insert grid appropriately. I inserted the Compellor on the submix bus and once again, I had audio and visual evidence of the correct signal flow but the bounce failed as before. I noticed also that once I had inserted the Compellor, the submix meter "went quiet" with no display during playback or bounce. This did not affect the audio but the submix fader now had no effect on the volume on the channel, and as stated, no metering was visible on the submix channel. I have attached a screenshot of the mix window and the Apollo console where inputs 3/4 represent the signal return from Compellor.

this should work and I would love to find out why it is not!

thanks again for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bounce issues.jpg (66.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-28-2016, 07:10 PM

Im having the same issue!!! Looks like youre running an apollo as well, so am i!!! I have the same damn issue!! Called up universal audio and they dont know whats wrong, called up "sweetwater" to see if they can help (since i bought the hardwear from them, an avalon 737sp) and they couldnt really help. So, now i bought an avid support code and cuz universal audio suggested to contact them. Smh wtf smh
Old 11-29-2016, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixTWCS View Post
Im having the same issue!!! Looks like youre running an apollo as well, so am i!!! I have the same damn issue!! Called up universal audio and they dont know whats wrong, called up "sweetwater" to see if they can help (since i bought the hardwear from them, an avalon 737sp) and they couldnt really help. So, now i bought an avid support code and cuz universal audio suggested to contact them. Smh wtf smh
Are you running the Apollo in PT mode I think it's called?

QAPLA!