Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2002, 06:06 PM

Default Grand Piano

I just finished recording a grand piano. Used four tracks - two of them were with Crown 160's. Had one sitting on the back crossbar of the grand and another on the floor. They worked very well. I've never used them before as they were borrowed. Anyone one else tried them? If so what for?
Keith
Old 03-03-2002, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Grand Piano

Keith,
I'd love to hear some of the recording. I've been messing around a lot with Grand Pianos on GigaSampler and am quite interested in how it would compare. (I'm sure yours is better, I just want to know how much!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Take care,
MArk
Old 03-03-2002, 07:52 PM

No problem Mark. I could send you the whole project of one the songs. Give me a few days, it is on a machine without internet and the burner is being repaired.
Keith
Old 03-05-2002, 09:35 PM

Mark, In your opinion what Giga based pianos have you found to be the best and most realistic? I've tried a couple and nothing really blows me away. There are a lot to choose from out there. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2002, 09:59 AM

I agree with freeman. Nothing in giga as far as pianos go really sounds convincing.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:56 PM

Maybe I misstated myself. I didn't mean to be condescending. I just want to find the best piano to use with giga. I'm helping someone with a piano based project and I'm looking for ideas. Would a Roland module or a Korg Triton or something be better? (Recording a real grand in my studio is not an option). Thanks to all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-06-2002, 09:20 PM

Hi,
So far nothing is totally convincing when listened to by itself. I do think the better ones on GigaSampler are MUCH better than what I've heard on a Triton or some other synth in that class. The newest libraries are huge - nearly 2GB!

My tests so far:

East West Ultimate Piano - Akai sample set converted by SConverter. 1 layer library. Results - really bad in almost all cases. Sounds especially terrible played stacatto.

GigaPiano - Pretty bad really. Sounds OK for a day or two, but then gets bothersome. I think it's pretty processed. Might work way in the background of some song, but I wouldn't pay for it. (Again!) [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Comes bundled with some version of GigaSampler.

Trachtman Steinway-C - 8 Layer version - much better - Not convincing, but listenable. Able to use it in songs where the piano has to be there, but not a great sound. With EQ and some verb it gets better. This piano had a couple of keys that the pads didn't sit perfectly, so there's some buzzing in the samples. One big trick with this library was to watch your MIDI velocities VERY closely. Not every layer is good.

My next one I have high hopes for - Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer 290. I'm hearing people tell me this library is actually sampled better than they are recording, and that the results are pretty good in most cases. We'll see - there goes another $200. I went and played a 290 side by side with some other really expensive pianos. This beast is absolutely amazing in real life. If you haven't played one, go find one and play it. (How would you know if the sampling was any good anyway?)

BTW - Check this out...
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/204/john_grant1.html

Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-10-2002, 01:27 PM

Hey Mark,

Did you get a chance to follow up on the Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer 290? Sure sounds interesting. Please let me know...

Thanks, Roy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2002, 02:06 PM

Roy,
Not yet. Sorry. I won't list everything here (unless someone wants me to) but I've spent about $750 in the last 3 weeks on other stuff for this hobby and just don't want to spend more for a few more weeks.

At least one nice thing about GSt libraries is the wife doesn't see them! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'll let you know when I get it - probably 2-3 weeks.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 03-10-2002, 02:36 PM

Mark,
OK, that's cool... Hope she hasn't discovered the Sonic Maximizer yet! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
But, if the Bosendorfer turns out to be nice, maybe it will be just what 'Tonight' needs, which by the way, I truly appreciate all your expert help on. So, please let me know if and when...

Thanks, Roy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]