Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 09-04-2017, 01:31 AM

Default How to set up virtual instruments

I posted this in general discussion but probably better here. Sorry for doubling up:
It's been 10 years since i've worked with Kontact in protools (Yikes) and everything has changed , including my memory. I want to work with the virtual instruments, Kontact and Absynth, but cannot work out how to set up. What inputs and outputs for Midi track, aux track, and audio track-- or should I use an instrument track instead of? I thought I had it but then can't hear what I somehow recorded onto midi track. I also wanted to plug in my old evolution keyboard but suspect it's out of date, though it does appear in the midi controllers list. I've checked midi through. Is there a tutorial that shows the set up? or advice?
I've tried Midi track with in: Al and out:Kontact
Aux track: with Kontact as the insert, no input, and bus outputs
AUDIO track: bus inputs and built in outputs
Any advice or direction where to go super appreciated
Budinski
iMac: El Capitan 10.11.6
Protools: 12.5
Kontact : 5
Absynth: 5
Old 09-04-2017, 02:05 AM

Default Re: How to set up virtual instruments

Use instrument tracks. The routing is done for you automatically.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
Use instrument tracks. The routing is done for you automatically.
thanks. using an instrument track and i can see there is sound but it won't record
Old 09-04-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budinski View Post
thanks. using an instrument track and i can see there is sound but it won't record
i wonder if there is something in either a protools setting or the Kontact settings?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budinski View Post
You can't record MIDI? What do you mean by "seeing" the audio? Can't you hear sound?
Old 09-04-2017, 05:45 AM

I'm with Stig here.

Where exactly do you see the audio?

Is it on the track meter?

Do you see it on the Master meter?

Does it appear in the edit window as MIDI information on the track in question?

What MIDI interface are you using?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-04-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I'm with Stig here.

Where exactly do you see the audio?

Is it on the track meter?

Do you see it on the Master meter?

Does it appear in the edit window as MIDI information on the track in question?

What MIDI interface are you using?
Sorry to be unclear. I can't record the midi information. It appears to record-- there is a region created-- but there is no information on the midi track in the region. I see the green meters in the edit window on the track meter and I hear the sound playing in Kontact.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:04 PM

And you are sure you have a solid (not flashing) record light on that track?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-04-2017, 03:49 PM

Thanks for sticking with me Tom! It's now working to record midi on instrument track with the keyboard, not sure why it's changed. What I think I need to know is the i/o setups so i can record onto an audio track. Do I need an Aux track if I'm recording midi on an instrument track rather than midi track? Is there somewhere i can see what all the i/o setups should be? On the Instrument track I've got Kontact as the instrument, showing All and Kontact in the intrument pane. In the i/o pane I have no input and builtin output. That seemed to work with the keyboard controller. To record onto audio track do I need to go into Aux track and bus in and out to Audio track or???
thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 06:38 PM

Default How to set up virtual instruments

I suspect you should be trying to keep things as simple as possible, especially since you seem to be having some problems getting stuff to work.

Just use instrument tracks to record MIDI and work with VIs. You don't need to do anything with sends, you can use track freeze/commit to do all you will need (vs. recording the audio out of that VI to another track or messing with MIDI tracks).

Use audio tracks to record audio, e.g. vocals, or of you want something different than the VIs can deliver then the audio output of an external keyboard/synth etc.

YouTube has a great number of really helpful tutorials that can get you started with working with VIs, track freeze and commit and recording audio tracks.

If you are trying to record external audio... then more info is needed. What audio from exactly where/what instrument are you trying to record? What physical synth/keyboard? What interface are you using and is the keyboard connected to the DI or line inout of that interface? How *exactly*--connector and cable type--is everything connected? You have that interface selected as the playback engine? What troubleshooting have you done to follow the audio signal from the keyboard output etc. What shows up in the Pro Tools Setup>IO>Input page? Post a screen shot of that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-05-2017 at 10:50 AM.