Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 02:03 AM

Default Re: How are YOU monitoring??

Heh heh, I love how everyone has their own totally different way of doing this! I can't beleive you guys monitor w/ latency like that I'm sure you guys would find my way of doing things equally foreign; I got rid of my board on my home system a few days ago, so I'll be playing around more with monitoring through PT very soon so that's good to know about being able to have many tracks and still keep your buffer very low (every time I set up a system, I set the main buffer to max and forget about it). Do most of you guys monitor w/ plugins active on your PT input? To answer your question about punches, I keep the track I'm going to punch in PT unmuted and the fader down on the console input (or have the monitor remix on the console inactive), then when I need to punch in I either slap the input card into monitor mode or just bring the fader up while simotaniously hiting the mute on the PT track (or the mute on the rtn to the console for that track). Usually once something goes into the computer it stays a stereo rtn for everything. It's easy for re-bouncing, also it sounds better through outputs 1 and 2 on the 001 (only 1 $ 2 are ballanced). Ya know Storm-01 a really easy way to monitor with a small board like that is to have your master outs from the board going into PT 1 and 2 and assign your live inputs to your master buss and have your PT rtn going to 2 free channels on your board which are being routed to buss 1 and 2 on your board (so your are not re-sending the signal back to PT). Doing it this way has limitations, (making sure all but the tracks you're using are muted) but I use that configuration all of the time on smaller systems. Obviously it wouldn't do you any good for tracking a band, but for overdubs/ personal workstation it's very convienient.