Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Default How to achieve good vocal recording/mixing?

Does anyone out there have any experience/skills in achieving a good vocal recording/mix?
I'm close to "that sound" but would like to see what everyone else has discovered.
Maybe a certain preamp or vocal mic, etc.

Please post your comments in the format below (starting with my specs) so we all can see the details along with the technique.

Maybe this can be a cool post for people to really aquire some knowledge in obataining that "industry standard sound."

Thanks ya'll!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware: digi002 Rack, Presonus Blue Tube PreAmp, Sure KSM27 mic

Technique: I use the Digi Stereo (church) Reverb on one Aux Track,
and a digi mono reverb (room 1) and Bomb Factory Compressor on another Aux Track.
I play with the two (inserts) on on the vocal track.

Questions: Can I expect to achieve a good vocal recording with my Preamp and mic combo?
How do people achieve that dry vocal sound and still have a good sounding reverb?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-18-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: How to achieve good vocal recording/mixing?

This post will help you get "that sound".

And this one.

Enough knowledge there to keep you busy for months.

I know I didnt respond in the format you wanted, but it will save me hours of retyping it all again.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 10-18-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: How to achieve good vocal recording/mixing?

Quote:
Questions: Can I expect to achieve a good vocal recording with my Preamp and mic combo?
Yes. But it may not work for 'every' voice, as you may have discovered.

Quote:
How do people achieve that dry vocal sound and still have a good sounding reverb?
Use a 'plate' verb and use delays. Lexicon PCM 42 does wonders for vox. Software equivalent(sort of), would be the Lexicon PSP 42.

But, that's just one of millions of ways that will work. My post above with all the links will get you started.

Hope all that helps.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit