Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-18-2001, 08:13 AM

Default Firewire Drives Oxford Chip

Just wanted to let everyone know that www.ClubMac.com now has the Oxford chipset in the firewire drives they sell.

I don't work for them but I just didn't want everyone thinking that www.OtherWorldComputing.com was the only place to get them.

Years ago I bought a new Seagate drive from OWC and when it failed they told me I had to deal with Seagate. Seagate told me they couldn't replace it as it was a reconditioned drive (which I was never told)

P.S. I just want everyone to know that their are choices.

I've never had a problem with ClubMac so far.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Firewire Drives Oxford Chip

I just bought a drive case from OWC because they are virtually silent, compact and look and feel great. I was aware about the club mac drives, because I bought a firewire CDRw from them at the same time and I asked about the 911, which they confirmed. The main reason I didn't buy a drive from them is that I already bought one several months ago and the housing is pretty cheap and bulky, not to mention that I had to replace the fan three times in a row within several weeks after buying it. It was howling like mad and getting stuck. Even now it makes noise now and again. Piece of crap if you ask me, both the case and the fan.
As for the OWC elite drive, it rocks like crazy. I'm so impressed with it, I'm going to buy another when I get home, rip the drive out of the club mac one and put in a new house. And for those of you asking about overheating, so far I haven't had any problems with it running hot. Of course, I haven't been using it in hot surroundings either.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Firewire Drives Oxford Chip

Producher and tripit

Granite Digital (granitedigital.com) also sells oxford911 chipset firewire enclosures. you can stick your own 7200 RPM IDE drive inside and off you go. their enclosures are 10-20 dollars more than OWC, and i don't know if they actually sell pre-installed drives in their oxford cases.

the GD do have two fans in their cases, so they are quite a bit louder than the OWC, though not as loud as SCSI. the silence of the OWC are great for anyone needing a desktop drive. they don't need fans because their power unit is kept outside of the enclosure.

we haven't had any trouble with either our granite cases or our OWC cases.

i think that choices are great, and i just wanted to add another for anyone looking to get into firewire.

cheers

harry

ps - if you are going to be buying the drive and enclosure separately, i suggest opening your computer and formatting your drive first by attaching it to the internal IDE bus and using the apple drive set up utility. then you should be good to go as soon as you place the drive into the enclosure - plug and play.