Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-25-2003, 05:13 PM

Default Re: producers suck

To care for he job and try to do the best for the money is ok. After all we choose to work in this field because we have passion for it But...
I think it's a very dangerous situation when you give much more than you get paid for. Your client knows that not matter what, you "care" and you'll do a decent job with an impossible budget,even if this mean sacrifices on your part .
So why they'll pay the right fee if they can get it for cheap? Where's the pressure?
Afterall the job will be done, because you care.
Do not misunderstand me, I read your post and I see myself doing the same in similar situations. But apparently is not the way.Once they know that is not necessary to pay what it's is worth to get the job well done, they will never ever pay for it in future projects.

My two pesos.

Cheers

Ric
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Default Re: What percentage of total film budget is post pro?

Hi guys, iam doing some basic research for college, in general (big budget films) do sound depts/audio post houses get any extra based on a films profits and success? ie the 'points' system, or commission/bonuses?

is this common practice or unheard of on major budget films?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylrider View Post
Hi guys, iam doing some basic research for college, in general (big budget films) do sound depts/audio post houses get any extra based on a films profits and success? ie the 'points' system, or commission/bonuses?

is this common practice or unheard of on major budget films?
I can't speak for audio post production houses but it's sometimes offered to composers, though rarely on big budget movies since those still have budgets. But for the low(er) budget movies it is not unusual.

Usually this means you won't get anything since there are so many costs and people that are paid before you are. The standing joke is deferred pay = no pay.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM

Dawn of the Living Thread lol.

Curious if any things changed in the industry or just gotten tighter like everything else.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-17-2013, 02:52 PM

My research is into skywalker sound (if anyones got really good sources of information or story's about this company, Please tell =-)

so looking at the top ten highest grossing films, skywalker has been involved in eight of them. based on imdb's estimated budgets for each, I've worked out that on average that 1.5% = $3,331,875 per film *8 = $26,655,000 *2= 3% = $53,310,000
so for 8/10 of the highest grossing films skywalker only got between $26,655,000 & $53,310,000.

Yes this is ruff guestimates, but does this sound right to you?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM

they ALWAYS come back to us, and now that the 2 lowballer studios have gone teetz up , they got NOWHERE else to go........
Old 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
they ALWAYS come back to us, and now that the 2 lowballer studios have gone teetz up , they got NOWHERE else to go........
Reall? I had heard about Airwaves going under.
When did Sharpe sound go [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] up?

Living the dream.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 PM

This is the story of my life. It is so hard for me personally to get work and when i do, it seems like i am competing with the rate of a factory worker at Foxcom! Well, i suppose they have those nets that prevent people from jumping to their death. I am unsure if this is good or bad
Old 01-18-2013, 07:18 AM

Default What percentage of total film budget is post pro?

The lower the budget, the higher the percentage. It's somewhere between 2 - 6 %.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke2242 View Post
This is the story of my life. It is so hard for me personally to get work and when i do, it seems like i am competing with the rate of a factory worker at Foxcom! Well, i suppose they have those nets that prevent people from jumping to their death. I am unsure if this is good or bad
I find the money in LA very good compared to everywhere else.

Living the dream.