Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Structure drag and drop not working!!

BUT if you noticed what i wrote in post #2 ... you Can Drag and Drop from the FINDER on a MAC ... so a little weird that they say you cannot Drag & Drop into Structure at all .. you sure can .. just not from within PT .. so if you know where your clip is in your audio files folder or you make a Quick Bounce of what you want to drag in you can do it that way .. so have a Folder in your Session Folder that is for this - Structure D&D folder .. bounce or export into it and Bam !!!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
Logic Pro X latest version
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-11-2017, 09:32 AM

I guess I'm misunderstanding what you mean :

There's no change in behaviour, on either Windows or Mac, in terms of dragging audio files from the Finder / Explorer in to Pro Tools itself - either to an existing track, or to a blank area to create a new track.

Or are you saying that if you have Structure open, you can drag & drop from the Finder directly in to Structure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 09:56 AM

With Windows 10 you can only drag-and-drop from Windows Explorer if you don't have 'Run this program as an administrator' selected for PT. This applies to the PT timeline and Structure.
Windows Explorer can't be run in administrator mode so you can't drag-n-drop from a non-administrator mode app to one that is running in administrator mode. It's a bummer really.

But Avid's Win10 optimizations recommend running as administrator or you could have issues with launching PT, midi, etc.

I run PT in administrator mode and just manually import samples into Structure but having the ability to drag-and-drop again would be great.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
I guess I'm misunderstanding what you mean :

There's no change in behaviour, on either Windows or Mac, in terms of dragging audio files from the Finder / Explorer in to Pro Tools itself - either to an existing track, or to a blank area to create a new track.

Or are you saying that if you have Structure open, you can drag & drop from the Finder directly in to Structure?

yes, i tried it this morning while testing to see if i could reproduce the OP's issue of D&D from timeline or Clip Bin ...

so to recap, yes i was able to D&D from the finder window into Structure window ..

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-11-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a 32bit vs 64bit OS / software issue - it was the change of format from RTAS to AAX.

One of the original development team came on the forum, and explained that drag & drop was to some extent a bug to begin with - it wasn't part of the original design brief, or strictly speaking legal code for the RTAS format - they just realised that it could work, and exploited the code to allow it (the sort of coding that, if it had been done by accident either would not have passed QC, or would have been considered a bug).

He said that the AAX format does not allow for the same exploit, and that if they were to reintroduce drag & drop, they would have to go back to the drawing board, and figure out how to redesign it as a feature - which would not be a small task, and take some time to happen.

Bear in mind, Avid subsequently sold AIR to InMusic, so......
Thanks Carl

Still seems strange, if it’s “impossible” - that I can still “partially” Drag & Drop on Windows (as previously described).
I realise you explained “It's a one way street at the moment.”

Then I read DUC Member john1192’s Post #14:
"so to recap, yes i was able to D&D from the finder window into Structure window ..”

Anyway – I voted on IdeaScale:
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...79?submitted=1

Fingers crossed!
Old 03-12-2017, 10:00 AM

I suspect that the reason you can drag & drop from the Finder / Explorer directly in to Structure, is because fundamentally that is just an automated batch of shortcuts, the same as drag & drop to the timeline, linking directly to the audio files themselves.

Whereas drag & drop from the timeline to Structure is using aliases of the audio files (or aliases pointing to edited portions of the parent audio files).

This is just a guess.

It's remotely possible that selecting the bold text parent audio file, in Pro Tools clip list, and dragging that in to Structure may work - but even if that doesn't work, that doesn't disprove my "aliases" hypothesis, so we're none the wiser .

Old 03-12-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I suspect that the reason you can drag & drop from the Finder / Explorer directly in to Structure, is because fundamentally that is just an automated batch of shortcuts, the same as drag & drop to the timeline, linking directly to the audio files themselves.

Whereas drag & drop from the timeline to Structure is using aliases of the audio files (or aliases pointing to edited portions of the parent audio files).

This is just a guess.

It's remotely possible that selecting the bold text parent audio file, in Pro Tools clip list, and dragging that in to Structure may work - but even if that doesn't work, that doesn't disprove my "aliases" hypothesis, so we're none the wiser .

pretty sure i grabbed a Parent File and it Did NOT work ... only from finder .. i can check again in case i am mistaken ....

RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-12-2017, 02:53 PM

just re-tested with Parent File ... nope ...

RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-13-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
just re-tested with Parent File ... nope ...

As I said, that doesn't necessarily disprove the "aliases" hypothesis - as it's still an alias in the clip list - I just wouldn't have been too shocked if it had worked.

But again, aliases could be a red herring, and it's down to an entirely different limitation..., we just won't know, and either it will get added as a feature, or it won't.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
As I said, that doesn't necessarily disprove the "aliases" hypothesis - as it's still an alias in the clip list - I just wouldn't have been too shocked if it had worked.

But again, aliases could be a red herring, and it's down to an entirely different limitation..., we just won't know, and either it will get added as a feature, or it won't.

yeah, i highly doubt it .. thats why i use Kontakt ... !! i have Structure Full Version but never use it ..

RME BabyFace Pro