Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2016, 07:44 PM
dr_daw's Avatar
dr_daw dr_daw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cariboo, BC
Posts: 1,216
Default Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

So, I've been working on a project for a few months testing the 'Collaboration' feature that was to be the 'holy grail' of PT's 12. To say the least, this is one of the biggest waste of resources I have ever been exposed to as a customer.

I run a system that, for my purposes, gives the illusion that it is bullet proof. It is this reason that I reached out to the community to try to do a project via the new feature. The first thing that became apparent is that if you intend on doing a full 'live instrument' project on what Avid provides for free...forget it! In the beginning of the trial I did all my drum takes (8 tracks) into the cloud with only a stereo stem of the mix with no drums. Three takes took up the entirety of the space provided.

To this we adapted, saving the mix or stems as a session, working on it locally until the final takes got approval (via committing the drum buss and only uploading that to the cloud). The project owner then had to purchase more space in order to upload to takes of 8 track 24/48 drums.

After thinking that we beat the system and were off to the races the next hurdle appeared. Once beginning the second song using what we learned after the first; two of the collaborators were unable to upload tracks. Full disk repairs, prefs trashes, reboots did not solve the problem. The result in order to maintain fluidity in the project was to use the FREE space available on Dropbox to transfer files (a method that I've used to complete two EP's with artists and mix engineers across the country).

This resulted in a second change to our workflow in which that only mix stems were uploaded to the cloud, they would be downloaded and saved as a session locally and worked on that way. Again feeling like we had beaten the bag of crap coding sold as a marketing scheme I've attempted to move on to the third song.

I'm now 3 hours into just simply trying to sign in and being plagued with a blank sign in screen, no connections and the like. Being a new father with a finite amount of time for recording. I value my ability to be able to record when creativity strikes; especially when I'm asked to do so by someone else on their project. They have expectations of me to deliver, and when time zones get involved the ability to troubleshoot goes out the window.

This is more of a story that I feel may not be suitable for this thread, and I'm not looking for solutions to my problem. Those of you that know me here, know that I am always open to ask for help. This is more of a statement to confirm what all of us thought...that years (maybe even next year) we'll look back at this collaboration feature and laugh! Just like we do with Mini discs, key-tars, and egg cartons for acoustic treatment.

Here are some screen shots of tonights wasted creativity! Thanks Avid! You guys are swell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 5.39.26 PM.jpg (63.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-12-01 at 7.13.15 PM.jpg (63.5 KB, 0 views)
__________________
FBR recording - https://www.facebook.com/fromthebase...cordsrecording
@FBRrecording - Instagram
Rig
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2016, 08:27 PM
YYR123's Avatar
YYR123 YYR123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 13,732
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

I've never tried it....

I bet there are people who look at how much traffic this feature does/doesn't receive.....I would like to know...I bet it's shocking
__________________
Daniel
HDX - PT12.5.1 - HD I/O 16x8x8
Win10-Pro (v1709)- 6 Core i7-6850k - ASUS X99 Deluxe ii
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue


http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 PM
amagras amagras is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,397
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

I have a Samsung smartphone, just for that my Dropbox was expanded to 50gb free, that's even better than Wetransfer. I record guitars online for an amount of producers, so far none of them has asked about using the cloud collaboration I have listed on my website.
__________________
Dell XPS 8700. Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz. RAM: 16GB. Windows 10 Home x64. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645. NI Komplete Audio 6. Pro Tools Software 2019
amagrasmusic.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 PM
clausiii's Avatar
clausiii clausiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,802
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

I recently started using it with a friend. I like it! Of course it's not perfect, fe i'd like to get push notifications (or a simple mail) even when PT is closed when another one has changed something in the session/project.
__________________
My ears! My ears!
clausiii
-----------------
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.5
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2016, 02:25 AM
deanrichard deanrichard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Waukesha, WI
Posts: 870
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

I don't use it, so for me it doesn't offer any value. My guess it that the percentage of PT users who do is very small, and the ones who pay for the service is much smaller still. But for the ones who use it, I'm sure it's useful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
So, I've been working on a project for a few months testing the 'Collaboration' feature that was to be the 'holy grail' of PT's 12. To say the least, this is one of the biggest waste of resources I have ever been exposed to as a customer.

I run a system that, for my purposes, gives the illusion that it is bullet proof. It is this reason that I reached out to the community to try to do a project via the new feature. The first thing that became apparent is that if you intend on doing a full 'live instrument' project on what Avid provides for free...forget it! In the beginning of the trial I did all my drum takes (8 tracks) into the cloud with only a stereo stem of the mix with no drums. Three takes took up the entirety of the space provided.

To this we adapted, saving the mix or stems as a session, working on it locally until the final takes got approval (via committing the drum buss and only uploading that to the cloud). The project owner then had to purchase more space in order to upload to takes of 8 track 24/48 drums.

After thinking that we beat the system and were off to the races the next hurdle appeared. Once beginning the second song using what we learned after the first; two of the collaborators were unable to upload tracks. Full disk repairs, prefs trashes, reboots did not solve the problem. The result in order to maintain fluidity in the project was to use the FREE space available on Dropbox to transfer files (a method that I've used to complete two EP's with artists and mix engineers across the country).

This resulted in a second change to our workflow in which that only mix stems were uploaded to the cloud, they would be downloaded and saved as a session locally and worked on that way. Again feeling like we had beaten the bag of crap coding sold as a marketing scheme I've attempted to move on to the third song.

I'm now 3 hours into just simply trying to sign in and being plagued with a blank sign in screen, no connections and the like. Being a new father with a finite amount of time for recording. I value my ability to be able to record when creativity strikes; especially when I'm asked to do so by someone else on their project. They have expectations of me to deliver, and when time zones get involved the ability to troubleshoot goes out the window.

This is more of a story that I feel may not be suitable for this thread, and I'm not looking for solutions to my problem. Those of you that know me here, know that I am always open to ask for help. This is more of a statement to confirm what all of us thought...that years (maybe even next year) we'll look back at this collaboration feature and laugh! Just like we do with Mini discs, key-tars, and egg cartons for acoustic treatment.

Here are some screen shots of tonights wasted creativity! Thanks Avid! You guys are swell.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-02-2016, 02:56 AM
Meads Meads is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,903
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I don't use it, so for me it doesn't offer any value. My guess it that the percentage of PT users who do is very small, and the ones who pay for the service is much smaller still. But for the ones who use it, I'm sure it's useful.
Imho Avid should focus on what benefits MOST of their users, not wasting resources catering to a select few, whilst abandoning work on vital things. Like - you know - fixing stuff.
I wonder how much better PT12 would be by now if they hadn't been working on CC.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-02-2016, 03:58 AM
mlemos mlemos is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: new york
Posts: 1,114
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

I came across an article the other day that said that Avid have over 50k paid subscribers for their cloud. That's way more than I would have guessed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:32 AM
clausiii's Avatar
clausiii clausiii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,802
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
I came across an article the other day that said that Avid have over 50k paid subscribers for their cloud. That's way more than I would have guessed.

Interesting!
May i have a link of this article please?
__________________
My ears! My ears!
clausiii
-----------------
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.5
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:35 AM
YYR123's Avatar
YYR123 YYR123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 13,732
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

Yeah 50k is more than I would have expected as well
__________________
Daniel
HDX - PT12.5.1 - HD I/O 16x8x8
Win10-Pro (v1709)- 6 Core i7-6850k - ASUS X99 Deluxe ii
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue


http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 AM
jscomposer jscomposer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Boogie Woogie
Posts: 428
Default Re: Pro Tools Collaboration feature is something we'll look back at and laugh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlemos View Post
I came across an article the other day that said that Avid have over 50k paid subscribers for their cloud. That's way more than I would have guessed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiii View Post
Interesting!
May i have a link of this article please?
If you google "avid 50000 cloud subscribers" you'll see a bunch of articles that say "The company now has over 50,000 cloud-enabled paying subscribers and 40,000 enterprise users of Avid's MediaCentral platform." That does NOT necessarily mean they're paying for or even using the cloud service. I read it to mean that they're subscribed to an upgrade and/or support plan, which includes a few crumbs of cloud storage.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloud collaboration vs real collaboration midnightrambler Pro Tools 12 13 06-11-2015 01:48 PM
Is there a talk back feature on the PTLE 002, If not? TheStriker 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 4 03-23-2008 12:09 PM
Did Digi put "this" feature back in 7.4? teacherman Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 7 11-27-2007 02:30 PM
Internet collaboration 5.2: (talk back, etc) shaggy General Discussion 0 03-20-2002 09:00 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com