Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Default Problem bussing audio from one track to another audio track

I have a mono bass track with digi compressor and sans amp plugins. When I buss the audio from this track to another to record the effects, the new audio track is 30 samples behind the original track. I have to nudge it back. Does this seem right if there is supposedly no delay for the plugins. It shows zero delay when I cntrl-click the audio volume indicator.
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 08-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Problem bussing audio from one track to another audio track

Maybe test to see where the problem is coming from. Remove the plugs from the track and see if it still tracks through the bus with the lag. If there's no lag on the first run add plugs one by one testing each.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM

This happens because in your I/O setup, this particular bus path is setup for mono and stereo use. If you want to see it print correctly, delete the stereo bus pair, leaving the mono ones.

What most people don't realize is that Pro Tools LE does have routing compensation, and there are some instances where problems can arise because of it. If you want an example, make sure bus paths are setup for both mono and stereo. Create a bunch of mono aux tracks. Set the track outputs and inputs such that the path will go through them all, and assign the buses consecutively. Route some audio through this path and you'll hear problems because the routing compensation can't work correctly for the mono paths when they are also stereo paired. Pro Tools LE can't handle it when one side of the pair is feeding the other side. Solving this issue is as simple as deleting the stereo bus paths and leaving only mono ones for the buses you want to use mono.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 PM

Check your buffer setting. If its at 1024, try it again at 128(or 64) and see how much offset you have. You could also just save the settings for those plugins and process the audio in place with the AudioSuite version(just recall the same preset and process).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
This happens because in your I/O setup, this particular bus path is setup for mono and stereo use. If you want to see it print correctly, delete the stereo bus pair, leaving the mono ones.

What most people don't realize is that Pro Tools LE does have routing compensation, and there are some instances where problems can arise because of it. If you want an example, make sure bus paths are setup for both mono and stereo. Create a bunch of mono aux tracks. Set the track outputs and inputs such that the path will go through them all, and assign the buses consecutively. Route some audio through this path and you'll hear problems because the routing compensation can't work correctly for the mono paths when they are also stereo paired. Pro Tools LE can't handle it when one side of the pair is feeding the other side. Solving this issue is as simple as deleting the stereo bus paths and leaving only mono ones for the buses you want to use mono.
Top Jimmy, thanks for the suggestion but even setting it up as suggest, separate bus paths not stereo paired, I'm still getting a delay of about 30 to 40 samples. This is with the H/W Buffer size set to 64.
PT 12, Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 ATX LGA2011 MB,Intel Core i7-3930 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor,Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 2GB GDDR3 PCI-e Video Card, Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Blue 32GB (4x8GB),Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler, Rosewill Stallion Series RD700 700W Power Supply,Western Digital Caviar Black Internal system/session/samples,Windows 7 Professional 64-bit,Mbox2
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Check your buffer setting. If its at 1024, try it again at 128(or 64) and see how much offset you have. You could also just save the settings for those plugins and process the audio in place with the AudioSuite version(just recall the same preset and process).
albee, tried it with H/W Buffer set to 64 with the same results. I guess it's either audiosuite it or nudge it. Maybe, it's a problem with sans amp.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryk View Post
albee, tried it with H/W Buffer set to 64 with the same results. I guess it's either audiosuite it or nudge it. Maybe, it's a problem with sans amp.
did you try another plug with zero latency to see if you got the same result?

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
did you try another plug with zero latency to see if you got the same result?
Yes, just tried it with Cmprs/LD3 with no latency. So it's sansamp then. It shows no delay when inserted, however.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:41 AM

Wasn't sansamp one of the plugins that reports latency incorrectly?

Check out this old, old post.

Sansamp is on the list as reporting 0, but actually generating a delay of 28. (if I'm reading it right)

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 AM

yeah pretty sure PTLE relies on the plugin mfgrs to supply the latency numbers. no ADC so i sure wouldn't expect PTLE to be supplyin' it

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff