Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 10:27 AM

Default What\'s so good about a vintage guitar?

Yeah, I know, the sound.

The sound, the looks, the feeling of holding something that's almost timeless, something that was making decent music back in the days when your parents were still hot for each other.

But surely, there must have been advances in technology and in production techniques that have allowed for (dare I say?) 'improvements' and ways of bringing prices down?

Hold on a moment while I put on my bullet proof vest...

(This thread will go stellar!)

Old 08-22-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: What\'s so good about a vintage guitar?

*runs away confused*
Old 08-22-2004, 10:36 AM

The best thing about a vintage guitar,is it's investment value.That being said,technology with all it's innovations is a step backwards when it comes to guitars.If it aint broke don't fix it.And Fenders an Gibsons etc.from the 50's and 60's where as good as it gets.

I doubt the thread will go stellar.I don't think there are a lot of 'vintage guitar'experts up here.I could be wrong.

Old 08-22-2004, 10:46 AM

Hmmm,
I'm no gtr player..
But from an engineer's point of view, they'll always sound more balanced, require less tweaking and give you the sound you've visioned...
That is of course if all else ( player/amp...) remains unchanged. Go get a drink>>

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 08-22-2004, 12:51 PM

While i am a huge fan of vintage guitars, i will disagree with what has been said in this thread up to this point. The main differences between fender strats and les pauls built today verses 20 or so years ago is that they use computers to build them. Now to many folks this is a bad word just like talking about digital recording 10-15 years ago. Computerizing the guitar building process essentially takes the tlc out of building guitars and at first it was a step backwords, but anymore some of these really cheap guitars are quite incredible. I have seen ibanez, a company i used to totally abhor, go from really sorry guitars to just simply incredible. I know friends that have sold off much higher end les pauls and es335's for ibanez clones which they prefer for sound and feel.

Some of these new low end guitars are offering a lot for very little money. I wish when i started playing guitar i had more options especially in the cheap range like new players have today. My first guitar was a mexican strat that would not tune correctly to save my life. I spent i think $5-600 on it!!! Now you can get twice the guitar for half the money, and i think that is a huge step forward.

My sister was talking about purchasing a piano the other day and she was bragging about her future purchase of a steinway. I think i talked her out of it. Why??? Well because other then name recognition you are paying way more then you should for a piano of so so quality. I have played many pianos of all locations on the price scale. I have come to find out that each and every steinway that i have ever played, play entirely differently...because they are still handmade. Out of 5 steinways you will find 2 that are superiorly built, 1 that is okay and 2 that are substandard. On the other end of the spectrum if i play 2 yamaha's they will sound and play almost identicle....because they are computer built. Sure you may find a superior steinway, but why bother if i know that i can buy a killer yamaha. I will probly get shot for saying this, but this is how i feel.

Overall computer aided design, especially five more years down the road, will only get better and better. One day we will look in wonder at the early years when all instruments where hand made.

Christian
Old 08-22-2004, 02:54 PM

Quote:
The main differences between fender strats and les pauls built today verses 20 or so years ago is that they use computers to build them.
20 years ago was the absolute worst era for Fenders and Gibsons.And does not qualify as vintage.Like I said in my first response to this thread, the best thing about vintage guitars is their investment value.I can sell them as fast as I can find them.

You can take the worst piece of crap that is virtually worn out, and if you have a neck stamp or serial number from the 50's to mid 60's you can pretty much name your price.

That being said, I have several vintage guitars that are absolutely stellar.There is something to be said for vintage wiring that cannot be duplicated.Also there is not the same quality of wood available, unless you are going to pay custom shop prices.

Old 08-22-2004, 03:02 PM

But suppose you're not looking for an investment, and you don't want to pay a fortune for a classic model...

I'm being devil's advocate here Baz, but surely there's something to be said for budget to middle price modern mass produced guitars. Do none at all meet with your favor?

(I'm gonna stir this pot up some! )
Old 08-22-2004, 03:16 PM

I come from the era when these 'vintage' instruments where new.That's how far back I go.My first real guitar was a 1957 les paul jr.My father bought it, and a Fender Princeton amp for $75.That was in 1964.Those same two items would fetch about $5000 US today.

I play a few instruments once in awhile, when I go to the music store and someone says check this out.Sure there are great guitars on the market but if you want a quality instrument you are looking in the $2-3000 range.

My main accoustic guitar that I play (a 1978 Larrivee L10) retails now for around $5000.I bought it new in 1978 and I paid $1795 for it.If I had have bought a lesser guitar. It would have been firewood long ago.

You get what you pay for that is the bottom line.My advice to anyone buying a new instrument is to buy the best.Not only will it last forever it will appreciate in value.Like any thing in life quality over quantity is the key word.

Old 08-22-2004, 03:33 PM

Man,
what I wouldn't give to have my dad's old 50's strat that he sold for $100.00.
Ouch !

Van

"All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie" :: Bob Dylan
¯
Old 08-22-2004, 03:35 PM

I know, it brings tears to my eyes to think of all the guitars I have destroyed,traded off or lost