Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2002, 11:38 AM

Default upgrading to most recent version of protools le for mac

I'm still using the original version(version 5.0.1) on my system, mac os9, I received the 5.1 updrade but never installed it. I'm now thinking of upgrading to the most recent version, I have 2
questions. 1) How many upgrades are there between 5.1 and the latest which I assume is 5.3.
2) Are there any undesirable issuses (or bugs) associated with the upgrade.

Thanx for any info that can be helpful.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:51 AM

Default Re: upgrading to most recent version of protools le for mac

I received ProTools 5.2 with my MBox (purchased august 31st). I wonder if you have Time Code Timeline in your 5.0.1 (a friend of mine told me that it exist in his 5.0.1/Digi001). If you decide to update you will loose this timeline (it will be automatically turned to mins and secs).
That's the reason he (a friend) is still using 5.0.1 and refuses to update...
If you do post you have a problem...
Sorry for my English
Kuba
Old 09-26-2002, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by guys:
I'm still using the original version(version 5.0.1) on my system, mac os9, I received the 5.1 updrade but never installed it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do it ASAP! You will not regret! How can you live without multiple undo, auto save and stereo tracks (not to mention other minor improvements)? If you have 5.1 with SN#, you can download beta 32 track version - there are some issues with this release, so I do not recomend that. BUT! - 5.1 works perfectly (I have 001 from the day one and now mbox) and you will not regret. 5.2 is basically the same with internet colaboration stuff, so if you need it, go for it.
Kuba - twoj kolega cos sciemnia, er, I mean your friend is wrong [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] - there were no timecode with LE I think [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Przemek.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the info guys, i'll be upgrading to 5.1 very soon. Kuba, I didn't see anything about "timecode timeline" on my system, I don't use timecode anyways.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:39 PM

If you don't use time code time line you don't have a problem. Just upgrade. I have no experience with PT LE earlier than my 5.2 but I work on PT/TDM since early ver III. I remember that mixer in PT 5.1/TDM sounds different than 5.0.1 (I think better). To check if there is really difference I opened session (mixed and bounced on 5.0.1) and I bounced it again in 5.1. After this I imported both files (one from 5.0.1 and the other from 5.1) into session and inverted phase correlation between them... there was something (if you do this with the same file you will hear the silence...).
Przemek!
Great to see guy in DUC from my home country...
I remember that someone in DUC reported, that you can have time code time line in early LE systems... You must open session from TDM system with time code as a main counter; after this you will see time code in your time line, so this TDM session can be use as a template to have time code time line. After this post Digi treated this "function" as a bug and immidiately "repair" it so since version 5.1/LE time code from TDM is automatically turned in mins and secs in LE. A few months ago I worked with my friend on his project (additional editing and mix). When I open his session there was TIME CODE as a main counter... I'm sure his is right - and still refuses to update...
Kuba
Old 09-28-2002, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuba Pietrzak:
I remember that someone in DUC reported, that you can have time code time line in early LE systems... You must open session from TDM system with time code as a main counter;...
Kuba
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Aha - yes, I remember, there is even template for that somewhere on the net. If someone needs timecode, great, but 5.1 is _so much_ better than 5.0 that there is no turning back - and you can always set 40ms grid if you have to [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Przemek.
Old 09-30-2002, 07:00 AM

Indeed, I agree...
but the question was about any bug or danger in upgrading from 5.0 to 5.1 - time code time line is the only one I know so I wrote about it...
I love 5.1 and higher and I would not go back to 5.0...
Kuba
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]