Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-13-2003, 12:00 PM

Default How can you penalize who helped you grow?

In a sad mood I come to this forum to express my disbelief

I, like many others, have been a Digidesign costumer since the first days of Sound Tolls, cruising with some revolutionary technology, being one step ahead when only a few believed, paying the prices, sometimes only monetary and some other times being an unpaid beta tester. It has been a long journey but all good so far
Now.... I doubt if I have gone too far the past year has been a kind of a bumpy ride... too many upgrades in so little time and too many dollars for not that many advances, HD came about as the step ahead so much needed, promising a new level of sound quality..partially granted.. the new line of interfaces made a big difference but the higher sample rates fell a little short considering that for a full blown production done all in PT at 192k still is nothing but a dream.
I am fortunate to say that I have made music and money those last 15 years with the help of Digidesign, It is like a relationship, in this case longer then my two marriages put together (without sex) and I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe the divorce is the only solution.
I don't want to get ahead of myself...
My point here is:
How can I get penalized with top prices for every upgrade if I'm among the ones that helped this great company grow?
How can I get penalized for jumping into something that we will find out together how stable it is?
How can i get penalized for always buying it when there is still doubt in the air?
How can I get penalized, in my view, for being a great costumer?
How can Digi charge more for the same upgrade just due to the date purchased?
It does not sound right to me and I bet it doesn't sound any better to most of you.
I hope I'm only a fraction of a very small minority among Protools users, otherwise Digi is in for some tough times.
Peace,
Marcello Azevedo
Old 09-13-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Re: How can you penalize who helped you grow?

Hello. I think about the only thing I could tell you is that no one is forcing anyone to upgrade. There are many professionals here on the DUC who still run very successful, busy, profitable operations with Mix systems. No one is forcing anyone to always be the first to jump on the latest and greatest. As a matter of fact, as you have found out in your own experiences, it is always more prudent and financially viable to wait until bugs are worked out, product lines stabilize and prices drop.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:48 PM

I have to agree with you that nobody is forced to upgrade, but the ones that do upgrade are the same ones that makes it all possible, injecting money and knowledge to the hole process... so why penalize them?
Old 09-13-2003, 01:00 PM

And also...
If the rules where now not to upgrade until x amount of time, following your advice, waiting for the price to drop and full research of functionality, technology advances would be crippled!! I bet nobody would like that.
Nothing personal
Old 09-13-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with you that nobody is forced to upgrade, but the ones that do upgrade are the same ones that makes it all possible, injecting money and knowledge to the hole process... so why penalize them?
Yeah I hear ya, but lets wait and see
I bought into protools last year after getting out in '97 because I thought that the Price/performance ratio wasn't there. I just have the HD1 system so I guess its all good for me, I can buy a used card and go to an hd2 or buy a new accel card for just a little more and get the processing of 2 of the old HD process cards, which I think is not bad. I do hope they'll give us a good deal though
daniel
Old 09-13-2003, 01:27 PM

Marcelo, os caras querem vender o peixe deles. É e sempre será assim. Eu continuo aqui com meu confiável e simples sitema 5.1.1 Mix +. Não é aquilo tudo, mas com uma toneladas de plug-ins ...

To me what hurts more when talking about "pockets" is the need to buy expensive plugs and pay again and again for upgrades that do not give ya very much. What has drastically changed from AMp Farm 1.5 to V2 ( if this is the latest release)? The same with Waves TDM bundles, from 3.2 to 4.0? more plugs for chip? 192k support? i-lok ( urgh)?

I myself can live fine with just Compressor Banks, Filter banks, Waves TDM ( Q6, Paz, C1, Ren Coll.), Vintage Warmer, Autotune, TC Chorus, TC MAster X.
I can not talk about Sony/GM stuff yet.
Nice weekend to all

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:59 PM

Hello. How can car manufacturers penalize so much those who buy their new model year cars? That is so unfair. How can movie studios and movie theatres penalize those who see movies when they are first released. Without those people the movie industry disappears. That is so unfair. How can Apple penalize all those people who bought the G4 when they first came out years ago and now they are so cheap. That is so unfair. They are doing it again with the G5. How can they penalize these early buyers so much. It is so unfair. Without these early purchasers all these industries would never advance and nobody would want that.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:16 PM

Can I give you guys my take on this? I,too, have been a Digi customer since day one. The major upgrade was Sound Designer to Pro Tools. That was one very impressive step. Then came 24 bit. That too is memorable. Then HD. Now Accell. (Did I miss stuff?)

Through out these years I have been VERY fortunate to have my gear rented and paid for many times. HD came out and I held off until last month. I was real happy with a Mix plus/AVXL and 9.22

Now I am leveraged again. But, basically starting over with a 57k investment of stuff. I sold a turn key racked mix plus for 5k - which i know is cheap but whatever. It's all in the act of simplification and karma building. BUT I am thinking, 57k damn, that's a large chunk that could do a lot of good for the world.

So I post with two minds. One is, we do not have to be part of a society that consumes so much. I justify the upgrade as it's for work and my livelihood. But I do believe that Americans (me) have been suckered down the road of bigger-better for so long that we are as trained monkees.

Personally I am for slowing down or buying used. And I am not talking just Digi. So, to the poster who feels so much pain, I say that you might step back and realize that you don't have to be in this emotional place.

My family began this process just before original Sept 11. I cannot tell you how nice it is to let go of certain things you always feel is necessary to have. For instance dropping cable was a beautiful feeling. (And a big money saver) We watch films and DVD's and for my kids we have movies for them too. (We have rabbit ears for PBS)

We have also slowed down on buying cars and just a whole bunch of STUFF. In the meantime we have sold a bunch of stuff, or given it away.

So, i don't mean to preach, but Hell - we all consume too much! there, i said it anyway.

look at the US - we're like pac man gobbling up the mid east. well, we accept that because it's part of our consumptive nature. And it makes us crazy without even knowing it.

So there's more than 2 cents. I do not agree with those who say nobody is forcing you to upgrade. There is no denying a pressure to stay compatible. BUT I do mean to say that the pressure is created from within as well as externally and it's worth looking at....

peace
scott

Old 09-13-2003, 06:51 PM

Quote:
How can you penalize who helped you grow?
Avid is like Pharoah building the great pyramids of Egypt.
We are like the slaves of Israel.
Well, maybe that's a stretch.

Hey it's the American Way. Not to be confused with Amway, who is also into pyramids.
If they just sold out of current stock they would go out of business.
The bait is the new plug in "Impact" SSL type compression. DROOOOOL! I want it!
But I have to take control of my oun obsessive compulsive nature.
Is it right for Americans to sue McDonald's because they became unhealthy and over weight?
No. They are hooked on latest burger advertised.
I'm in this mess myself. I'm in the midst of an HD2 upgrade and I'm not ready to go OSX.
And I know in another year Digi will probably introduce HDX.
Maybe I should start worrying about the G6.
I'm glad I didn't upgrade yet, and I guess I would feel burned too if I already had.
But how can you know what will happen tomorow?

Old 09-13-2003, 11:02 PM

Scott, there are many nice professionals here but there is a special group of guys that I deeply respect for their talent and kindness:

Nika, Andy, Lee, Produceher, John Stephan, Shawn and now YOU´ve just entered my top 7 list
Nice weekend my friend

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.