Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 12-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Massivepack 6 advice

Hi everyone:

Long time LE forum poster, but new to HD. I just installed a HD2 Accel on my old Athlon 64 4200 X2 system, and it is running very well so far.

My question is about Massive Pack. I purchased it a few days ago and it should be here tomorrow. I have a decent idea of which plug-ins I want to authorize, but I thought I'd ask for some feedback from other HD users before doing so.

So, in your opinion, and assuming you had little else insofar as HD plug ins, which six of the optional plugs would you authorize - and why?

Here's a link to the list of plug ins:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5965&ref=mp6-p

Thanks for your opinions / advice.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Massivepack 6 advice

Hi Phil,

Congrats on the jump to HD. I'm sure you will love the extra power and sound quality!

As far as the available plugs I would definately go with the following.

1 REVIBE. I use this verb all the time and have had no complaints. I always tend to come back to it as my go to VERB even when I venture out and try something else.

2. Derfinately the Fairchild 660 and 670. I use these guys a lot over all sorts of tracks from Vocals to stereo Keyboard tracks. i really like the x factor in thse plugs.

3. Bombfactory Classic. I have these plugs and even though I may not go to them all the time, when I do I really like their sound. For example the Purple Audio MC77 often ends up over me guitar groups when doing rock or cruchy country.

As far as the remaining 3, I can't say as I haven't used them as I bought my HD4 during the Massive Pack 4 days. If synths are your thing the HYBRID is great to have in the arsenal and lot of Folk love the Trillium Lane verbs.

Good luck in your HD ventures.

bestr egards,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 12-19-2007, 02:48 PM

Thanks BIG D!

Of the two, if you had to pick one or the other, which of the two BF comp bundles would you pick? I primarily do rock, jazz, Americana - "real" instruments / real microphones type stuff, as opposed to a lot of MIDI, and I already have Synchronic (which I rarely if ever use). I reviewed Hybrid as part of the MPT for LE for EQ magazine earlier this year, and I know it's a good synth, but I don't think I'd use it very often. Oh, I'll also will be upgrading to the whole Eventide Anthology II bundle, so I was thinking about the following as my MP choices:

TL Space (I've been using the LE version and I really like it).

ReVibe

TL Drum Rehab

BF Mooger

DINR

...leaving one remaining choice, and I was thinking it has to be one of the BF comp bundles... but which one is the big question now.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:55 PM

Hey BIG D, one last question, if I may... I was looking at your system specs, and noticed you're also running an Athlon 64 X2, but on an Asus A8V mobo, and that you have HD4. I'm running on an A8N-SLI Premium mobo, and I'm not even sure if I could go to HD3 with my current board or not... are you able to get all four HD cards on that A8V mobo, or are you using an expansion chassis?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 AM

Hi Phil,

Sorry for slow reply. Christmas and all.

Happy New Year by the way.

I tried running the HD4 on the board but the fourth card always caused problems and made the system unstable. I ended up buying an older CHASIS case and it works a treat!!!! have had no real issues at all for 2 years now.

Will have a think about the plugs but you may have already ordered.

all the best,

Big D
3 x WD500gig SATA, 1 x WD1T32mb SATA cache Green
NVIDIA Geforce 7300le,
Command 8,HD2,192,Massive Pack 4
Windows 7 64 bit PTHD 9
Old 01-04-2008, 12:55 AM

I thought it must be an expansion chassis. Thanks for the reply, and Happy New Year to you too.