Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM

Default Fast Track - mono

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here so sorry for my ignorance. I did a search on this question as I feel it's probably a common problem and I just have some setting wrong but I couldn't find anything.

I just purchased the M Audio Fast Track. When I plug in my Shure SM57 and try to use it to record into the built-in webcam on my ASUS Q500A I only get a left-side, mono signal.

Any help in correcting this would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Fast Track - mono

How about the mono/stereo button on the front?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Thanks Ben. The Fast Track doesn't have a mono button on the front. Perhaps one of the other versions (pro, etc.) has that. I believe I've solved this though. It appears that if you have the direct monitor button depressed it records in mono for some reason.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM

There is no stereo button on the Fast Track M-Audio interface.

I still haven't figured out yet what turning the "Direct Monitor" on and off does.

I was guessing that "direct monitor" means connecting the headphone jack to the signals from the two inputs. So I was guessing that you won't hear yourself sing or play guitar in the headphone jack if you turn the direct monitor off, but I actually haven't tried turning it off yet.

I do know that if I just use the interface as a sound card to listen to music with headphones connected to the headphone jack of the interface(it sounds better than the on board chipset on my laptop), turning direct monitor on and off makes no difference.