Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Default Sort of a re-post! (midi woes)

Hi,
I'm going to try this one again with a different approach.
I certainly hope there is a tech wizard (Digi Support!?) on this forum that at one time or another has selected midi patch changes in PT using the 'patch change button' to set a default patch change in the edit or mix windows for an external midi device. My problem stems from the fact that all of the default patch changes I had set on my Kurzweil PC1X's midi tracks in sessions created over the past 3 years have all reset themselves to 'none' since I upgraded to 7.3.1 and OS 10.4.9...... This has created a huge problem for me as I was just getting ready to convert midi tracks to audio on over 15 pieces of music.. All of my other midi tracks using external devices were set using the same exact procedure and yet all of those default patch changes remain in place. It just doesn't compute in my brain what I could have possibly done to create this problem on only one of the external devices......the only possibility is that I had inadvertantly removed the PC1X using the 'remove device' option in the Audio Midi set-up....which I promptly re added seconds later......could this possibly have anything to do with my problem? Also.....where in the inner recesses of my G5 would exist the spot where that patch change button data lives? If it turns out that this stuff is 'gone forever', I'll have no other option than to re-do the patch changes on everything.....but still...I want to figure out what happened so I don't do it again!!
This problem is really perplexing.

-Scott

Mac OS 10.9
PT 11.1.1
Eleven Rack
Old 06-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Avid

Default Re: Sort of a re-post! (midi woes)

Quote:
.the only possibility is that I had inadvertantly removed the PC1X using the 'remove device' option in the Audio Midi set-up....which I promptly re added seconds later......could this possibly have anything to do with my problem?
Yes, that was it. The patch change documents are associated with a particular device - removing the device removes the association.

The patch name files are located at MacHD>Library>Audio>MIDI Patch Names. You should be able to reassociate the patch name document in Pro Tools, however the question is - did you write patch change data to the track or did you rely on the patch name setting you had made? If you wrote patch change data, you should be safe - if you didn't, you're going to be very unhappy, as in 'dis-associating' that patch name document with your device, any patch changes stored with it are also gone.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Sort of a re-post! (midi woes)

DigiTechSupport,
Thanks for the definitive answer I've been looking for.....
At least I know what I did now!!!

-Scott

Mac OS 10.9
PT 11.1.1
Eleven Rack