Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-21-2012, 09:31 AM

Default Lost Control of a song - need some help

Hi everyone. Here is the sad story: An artist has just finished a series of tracks and he sent an mp3 to an on-line radio company to generate some interest in his work. He also posted a video up on u tube. One week later we were searching and found over 50000 free downloads of the song, about 20 different people have taken credit for the song and three other individuals have posted his video as theirs on u tube. We regularly imbed isrc codes in the red book cd's we create but are at a bit of a loss as to what meta data we should actually put in the meta data of an mp3. I use the most current version of meta data available in PT 10 but have had numerous discussions with the folks at sound exchange, Liquid Compass and others in the business of trying to legally pay internet streaming radio artists and have learned that the systems in place only work for legally operating internet stations. Do any of you have any thoughts on how we can protect the IP of our artists and studios in the current world we live in?

Skip Brown
Final track Studios
Roanoke, Va
USA
Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Lost Control of a song - need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenedgroup View Post
An artist has just finished a series of tracks and he sent an mp3 to an on-line radio company to generate some interest in his work. He also posted a video up on u tube. One week later we were searching and found over 50000 free downloads of the song, about 20 different people have taken credit for the song and three other individuals have posted his video as theirs on u tube. We regularly imbed isrc codes in the red book cd's we create but are at a bit of a loss as to what meta data we should actually put in the meta data of an mp3. I use the most current version of meta data available in PT 10 but have had numerous discussions with the folks at sound exchange, Liquid Compass and others in the business of trying to legally pay internet streaming radio artists and have learned that the systems in place only work for legally operating internet stations. Do any of you have any thoughts on how we can protect the IP of our artists and studios in the current world we live in?
That's pretty much the state of the record industry today. There's not a whole lot you can do about it short of contacting the websites distributing the songs and demand that they take the source down. Or you could threaten to sue (the songs are copyrighted aren't they??), but it probably won't be worth it. I don't know about embedding watermarks or copy protection into the files, but even if you did there would be ways around it...

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 11-21-2012, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Lost Control of a song - need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by awakenedgroup View Post
about 20 different people have taken credit for the song and three other individuals have posted his video as theirs on u tube. Skip Brown
Final track Studios
Roanoke, Va
USA
Just like the telephone , the first person to patent register or copy right wins.
If it is not there song most likely they will not sue you for it.

Copyright your work NOW !!!!!!.
Let them promote it, as theres own , with out saying a word
If it makes money or even released
sue there thieving AXX,S OFF .
Buy a house