Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2015, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Constant 6101 errors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
What exact Mac do you have? I looked at your profile and can't square the ram module speed and cpu's you say you have with known MacPro models. There's only two that I can find that spec 667 MHz ram (the original MacPro and the second MacPro) and neither of those show dual 2.33 gHz processors as options.

Have you done the proper optimizations of your system?

Whose plugins do you have on your system? Are they properly updated?
Thanks for writing:

This Mac is something comparable to 2010 Mac Pro the story goes......It was built for me. I"m not hip to the technical stuff. My brother inlaw builds them. Junk yard dogs. This is what he does for a living. I"m quite sure he did what was needed to optimize the system. He loaded it and burned it and all that happy stuff. All my plugins for this session are PT supplied and good updated plugs. I do have some freebies laying around but not used on this session, and they have been laying around for a while through many recordings. I only used some EQ and Reverb. NO weird stuff going on. I don't understand how one day it's fine and the next it isn't. When I removed the Hardware it was fine. All of the sudden it doesn't like my Hardware ?

Last edited by sankstone; 08-06-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: additions
Old 08-06-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
The first thing I would try would be an "Offline Bounce to Disk". Doing so bypasses the "Playback Engine" to help determine if it might be part/all of the problem. If that works, the speed at which it bounces (X real time) will also give you an idea of how fast the rest of your system is.
Can't bounce off line with hardware.......
Old 08-06-2015, 03:07 PM

Did you try turning off ADC (Delay Compensation) when playing back/mixing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sankstone View Post
Can't bounce off line with hardware.......
Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for writing:

This Mac is something comparable to 2010 Mac Pro the story goes......It was built for me. I"m not hip to the technical stuff. My brother inlaw builds them. Junk yard dogs. This is what he does for a living. I"m quite sure he did what was needed to optimize the system. He loaded it and burned it and all that happy stuff. All my plugins for this session are PT supplied and good updated plugs. I do have some freebies laying around but not used on this session, and they have been laying around for a while through many recordings. I only used some EQ and Reverb. NO weird stuff going on. I don't understand how one day it's fine and the next it isn't. When I removed the Hardware it was fine. All of the sudden it doesn't like my Hardware ?
No wonder you're having issues running a mongrel/mutt of a system. That ram is probably too slow for the system - I don't care what your brother in law does for a living - he doesn't know how to build a proper Mac system. Once you start using a proper system properly set up then we'll talk. Don't expect support from people here because they have no idea of how good your system was put together.

Just because it worked before with the junkyard dog of a machine you have doesn't mean it will work in the future. OSX and PT are done based on using known systems properly built.

QAPLA!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Hey Amack,

I used to have a Mac Pro 2006 with 667MHz RAM and a quad core 2.66GHz CPU.
It had 12 GB RAM and I could only run the smallest of PTs sessions with virtual instruments before I got the 6101 errors.
I did many optimisations but I was never able to really get this system working well with VIs.

Here's what I did to fix the problem and may I suggest you speak to your brother in law about a system upgrade.

I got a 2010 2.8Ghz quad core 5,1 Mac Pro off ebay.
I upgraded the CPU to a 3.46GHz 6 core.
I installed 48GB RAM (max) in three 16GB sticks from OWC.
I installed SSDs for any sample streaming.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Lachlan
Old 08-07-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
Hey Amack,

I used to have a Mac Pro 2006 with 667MHz RAM and a quad core 2.66GHz CPU.
It had 12 GB RAM and I could only run the smallest of PTs sessions with virtual instruments before I got the 6101 errors.
I did many optimisations but I was never able to really get this system working well with VIs.

Here's what I did to fix the problem and may I suggest you speak to your brother in law about a system upgrade.

I got a 2010 2.8Ghz quad core 5,1 Mac Pro off ebay.
I upgraded the CPU to a 3.46GHz 6 core.
I installed 48GB RAM (max) in three 16GB sticks from OWC.
I installed SSDs for any sample streaming.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Lachlan
I think you meant to respond to sankstone instead of amack as sankstone is the one with the mongrel system.

QAPLA!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:04 AM

Thanks for the reply.......

in response to delay compensation..........

No,haven't had to in the past........will attempt that this morning......
Old 08-07-2015, 05:19 AM

Thanks Musicman691........Not sure my system is having trouble because it is a mutt. Don't know why you are so sure it was not built properly. You certainly couldn't tell that from what I said. I have two friends with " store bought " systems who are doing projects on regular basis. They too have terrible trouble with 6101. I'm not the only one with these messages. What really gets me is the randomness of the problem. One day it isn't there and the next day it is. Hard to duplicate. Now, that being said........maybe additional Ram may be in order. That may make some sense. I will look into that. I appreciate your response.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks Musicman691........Not sure my system is having trouble because it is a mutt. Don't know why you are so sure it was not built properly. You certainly couldn't tell that from what I said. I have two friends with " store bought " systems who are doing projects on regular basis. They too have terrible trouble with 6101. I'm not the only one with these messages. What really gets me is the randomness of the problem. One day it isn't there and the next day it is. Hard to duplicate. Now, that being said........maybe additional Ram may be in order. That may make some sense. I will look into that. I appreciate your response.
I can take a very educate guess your system isn't built or setup properly both from your post and your system details in your profile. None of it matches up to what MacPro's in the past have had. Once you step out of the usual hardware setup (cpu, system board, ram) in a Mac's internals you will more likely than not have issues. You may well not have the correct ram (may be too slow) for the system you have - that could well give 6101 errors. I wouldn't waste money on more ram; 16 gig should be enough if again it's the proper ram.

QAPLA!
Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
How does one go about "up[ping] the buffer size, ... when mixing"?
Hardware settings........typically set it lower for tracking and higher for mixing.