Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2003, 11:40 AM
BenjaminC BenjaminC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 31
Default P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

I currently have a Win xp pro w/ P4 1.6 gig processor and my motherboard supports up to 2.4. I've never had aproblem with my ASUS P4b266 motherboard. Do you think the Pro Tools performance would improve that much w/ a 2.4 processor to warrent the upgrade from the 1.6?

Benjamin
__________________
Benjamin
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2003, 02:04 PM
SKI SKI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,157
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

You could get a nice bump from a 2.4 "BUT" you would still have to change MOBO's to get it.
Any P4 option for increased performance you look to go to would require that you go with the 533 BUS regardless of whether or not it's a 2.4, 2.8 etc.
The 533 Northwoods are the P4's turning the performance numbers.
They make higher speed P4 but they have the slower bus speed which doesn't give the kind of performance you are after.
__________________
URBAN MUSIC-
(Hip Hop and R&B)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2003, 02:45 PM
dans dans is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boston
Posts: 440
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

Quote:
My suggestion is not to upgrade unless you can change the motherboard.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Am I misreading this? That is the opposite to the way I think. I encourage any upgrade as simple as dropping in a new CPU. I always buy new mobos with whatever "slow" processor I can find that is compatible (within reason). My most recent mobo upgrade was to a P4B533-E and I got a Celeron 1.7 for about $90 which is much faster than my old PIII/700. I'll keep this mobo until it maxes out, which right now looks like it will be at 3 to 4GHz. I'll probably upgrade once to a P4 2.something Ghz and then max it out a year later.

I'd say to definitely get the 2.4 if you need the extra power. If not, wait a few more months. The price will drop to $150 or so.
__________________
It's not what you know that is important...it's what you can figure out.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Antonio Tarantino Antonio Tarantino is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Solana Beach
Posts: 303
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

Any CPU upgrade of course it will boost performance. I agree on that. Expecially if you don't have the extra bucks to spend. Makes a lot of sense and that's what I said before.
In general a CPU upgrade will always improve performance.
Then a motherboard with faster bus speed and a top performance CPU will improve performance even more by maximizing the PRO TOOLS performance. It all depends on how happy you are with your system performance and how much money are you willing to spend, and how many track you are getting and how many do you need, plug-ins, etc...
My idea is also not to buy the last processor that just come out in the market, I think is a waste of money. I always buy the one below and save a lot of money.

In conclusion you can get a speed bump going to 2.4Ghz. But in order to use all of the P4 2.4GHz capabilities you need a new Mobo with faster Bus Speed.

Ciao,
Antonio Tarantino
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2003, 03:35 PM
BenjaminC BenjaminC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 31
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

I was only thinking about the 2.4 cause I thought I wouldn't have to change motherboards. I was thinking the least expensive way to upgrade would be to buy a new processor and keep the same motherboard.

Benjamin
__________________
Benjamin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2003, 03:52 PM
Antonio Tarantino Antonio Tarantino is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Solana Beach
Posts: 303
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

Hey BenjaminC if you look a this link you can have a better idea on how much system performance will improve.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/index.html

Ciao,
Antonio Tarantino
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Nitronick Nitronick is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 731
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

Originally posted by BenjaminC:
Quote:
I was only thinking about the 2.4 cause I thought I wouldn't have to change motherboards. I was thinking the least expensive way to upgrade would be to buy a new processor and keep the same motherboard.

Benjamin
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just went through that crap. I went from a P3 866mhz getting 13 on the DaveC test, to a P4 2.0ghz getting 22 on the DaveC. I had a motherboard sitting in the closet.
Yeah, you will see a jump in performance. It won't be what you expected or wanted. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
I just checked newegg.com. The P4-2.4 in either 400mhz FSB or 533mhz FSB is $162.00. No difference.
Allen has listed 3 different motherboards on his thread. All are made to work with the 533FSB and are from $80 to $100.
So, for less than $300 and a little setup time, you could have one of these machines that are getting 32+22 on the DaveC test [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] That's nothin' to sneeze at!
Whatever you decide, have fun!
Mitch
__________________
Mitchell Benson
Linda Brown and Associates
www.lindabrownandassociates.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2003, 05:00 PM
Sinbad Sinbad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

I went from a P4B266 1.6 P4 to a P4PE533 2.4 P4 and was very happy indeed! I haven't done a Davec test, but i haven't yet managed to max out protools.

1.6 i think was just not quite enough for my needs, but it still performed well!

cheers
Phill
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2003, 07:08 PM
SKI SKI is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,157
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

The problem still is that if you don't go with the 533 the P4 will not give performance that you can easily get for a small amount of money.
The first generation of P4's were not capable of giving performance anywhere near what AMD was doing, the 533 changed that.
PT 5.3 (and soon PT 6.1) open up a lot of capabilities but your system has to be up for the job.
Any computer upgrade should always be the maximum that you can afford.
A P4 533 2.4 or higher w/ 2700 DDR is anunbelievable performer, if you go with anythingless you should go AMD, at least that way you can still get excellent performance.
Bottom line we are still only talking abouta few hundred dollars for top-notch performance on PT.
__________________
URBAN MUSIC-
(Hip Hop and R&B)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2003, 09:12 PM
vocalvoodoo's Avatar
vocalvoodoo vocalvoodoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO USA
Posts: 1,478
Default Re: P4 1.6 to P4 2.4 would it be worth it?

I went from a P4 1.4 to a P4 2.4 (533) and the ASUS P4PE mobo recently and the performance jump is incredible! I would highly suggest it if you have the dough. Plus I can overclock my P4 to 2.8 and it's stable if I so choose.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PT 9 Worth It? music Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 11 11-12-2010 09:13 AM
PT7 worth getting? AM STUDIOS 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 7 11-09-2005 04:49 AM
Is it even worth it Moodyscorpio 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 05-30-2005 07:04 AM
002 worth it? vx2kfilmer 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 1 07-02-2003 12:39 AM
OS 9.0.4 to 9.1 - is it worth it? Mike F 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 9 03-08-2001 08:17 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com