Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-13-2004, 06:18 PM

Default triggering a sine wave tone with a kick drum track

I'm trying to figure out how I can trigger a pure sine wave tone by sending a kick track through the sidechain of a gate. I tried by creating a new audio or aux track, then inserted the digi tone generator and then the digi gate, and sent my kick track to the gate's sidechain input, but no dice. Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to actually record a track's worth of pure sinewave tone and then gate that track with the kick going to the sidechain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: triggering a sine wave tone with a kick drum track

What you described should work. Are you in Low Latency Mode? Is the gate after the signal generator? Have you set up the trigger via a (pre send) buss and if so is your send fader showing level? Is the trigger reaching the threshold?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 07-13-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Re: triggering a sine wave tone with a kick drum t

In one of the first or second editions of digizine(maybe 3rd or 4th) There was an article,with an example download of how to do what you are askin!
Your on the right track though,make sure that the expander gate knows when the kick is playin(check the side chain frequency) & tune the sine wave to your kick drum
Old 07-13-2004, 08:39 PM

Default Re: triggering a sine wave tone with a kick drum track

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how I can trigger a pure sine wave tone by sending a kick track through the sidechain of a gate. I tried by creating a new audio or aux track, then inserted the digi tone generator and then the digi gate, and sent my kick track to the gate's sidechain input, but no dice. Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to actually record a track's worth of pure sinewave tone and then gate that track with the kick going to the sidechain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
hi...quite a newb question...BUT...what is the benefit of adding the sine wave? THX!
Old 07-14-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Re: triggering a sine wave tone with a kick drum t

Quote:
In one of the first or second editions of digizine(maybe 3rd or 4th) There was an article,with an example download of how to do what you are askin!
Your on the right track though,make sure that the expander gate knows when the kick is playin(check the side chain frequency) & tune the sine wave to your kick drum
Man, I just scanned through the first 6 or 7 digizine editions but couldn't find the article....anybody know which one it's in exactly?

And as for why I'd want to do it, newb, it's to add some extra beef, click thwack or whatever that a particular drum might be missing. For example, I could add some 40 hz "balls" to a kick drums that's a bit wimpy that way.

If I ever figure out how to do it I'll let you know....