Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2003, 04:17 PM

Default VO Guy seeks setup advice w/ PT LE

Hi, I am a longtime voiceover talent with Protools LE but have not tried to seriously
use it until just recently, having relied mainly
on a standalone DAW but now want to try
working with PT as my primary platform for
multitrack mixes (typically single-track devoted to voiceover, mixed with one to three stereo
music or sfx tracks, never more than 8 trks
total needed; Use is primarily for creation of
radio spots and video/multimedia soundtracks(narrations with music/efx)
mixed to 2-track app. (Bias Peak currently).

I have been resistant to go to Pro Tools due to
what has seemed an overabundance of features that I simply do not need. I want to
ideally be able to call up a "clean slate" type
template each time I start a new project, with
the most minimalist and simple, on-screen
display possible, for example, eight tracks...
the transport controls, and the input/output
metering..and that's pretty much all I want to
see. PT seems so oriented to music production vs. the kind of layout I'm accustomed to for radio production...(like
the layout of an Orban Audicy for example)
that my eyes glaze over trying to downscale
the layout and configuration to view only the
essential elements I need to deal with, and
nothing more...

Can anybody give me some direction, either
specifically or, referral to where to turn, to get
specific advice to address my particular
type of application and set-up preferences..
because admittedly, I am not a good manual
reader

Any input directly via email or otherwise is
very much appreciated...

My email is [email protected].

Thanks !

Mike In Mich.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Re: VO Guy seeks setup advice w/ PT LE

I've been using the Audicy for years now (and the DSE 7000 for years before that), but I opted for Pro Tools for my home studio. And, to tell the truth, my eyes glazed over, too, when I first tried to make sense of it four years back. At first I was overwhelmed with all the buttons and menus and pull-downs and the totally different approach to digital editing. As a result my G3 Tool Box setup sat idle for three months because initially I found it just too alien. But...once I sat down with a simple editing project or two, it started to make sense. These days I've got a Digi 002 in my basement and I turn out about three or four projects a week. No doubt about it, I found the learning curve pretty steep. But working at it has most definitely paid off. The Audicy is still quicker and easier to work with, but Pro Tools offers so much greater file portability and with PT Free I can complete mixes and bounce to mp3 on my laptop on the way to work. I'm glad I stuck with it.

One thing you might consider: create a simple session template that you can call up every time you start a new session. Just create and set up a new session (e. g., create the number of tracks you want, add inserts, create location points, set the preferred magnification presets, etc.) then save that session...and THEN do a Get Info on the file (command + I) and check the Stationery Pad box. Afterwards you can open that template file every time you want to create a new session and all the preferred settings will be there and ready to go.

Does this help? I can offer more input if you'd like via e-mail.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:15 AM

I guess it's mostly an avoidance thing having been kinda spoiled with simpler interfaces
like Audicy and my Fostex Foundation... No
doubt it CAN be done and I appreciate your
relating your experience with it. I've evolved
out of a world of analog consoles and
broadcast production rooms and while I'm
totally computer literate this is just one app.
that is daunting to tackle...and the irony is,
all i really want to do is figure out how to
simplify and REMOVE most of the screen
elements to the point where i have nothing more than the track and transport views essentially.... I wish there was some kind
of reference that would explain step-by-step
how to create that pared-down template i'm
sort of describing so that the display could
just open to a clean, 8-track layout...and i
could move directly to the process of cutting
a voicetrack only (single track.) or if a spot
for example, being able to lay-in a couple of
pieces of production music on adjacent tracks
to be edited or whatever... but not have to
negotiate all the propietary features that are
really a distraction for my purposes.

If you could envision, say, Bias Peak, only
with 8 tracks instead of 2, that's the interface
and environment that would be ideal for
what I do... Any shortcuts to create that
environment in PT, or frankly, if there are
recommendations for other apps. that may
be better or less complex... would help alot.

I'd be glad to dialogue via email on this and
appreciate the offer...

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-21-2003, 10:13 AM

Mike,

Why do you want to use Pro Tools? It's loaded with fuctionality that you're saying you don't want to use.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:23 AM

Hello. Well I agree with the pooch above me. It seems you are happier with other software, so why Pro Tools. There is no law that says you have to use Pro Tools. As you say, there are other different, simpler applications more in tune with your needs. But for the sake of argument if you do want to use Pro Tools, here goes.

First off, I don't know why you say that when you open Pro Tools there is a lot of clutter. When you open a new session it is blank. If you are however opening a previous session that may be your problem or source of confusion. Let's get started.

Double click on the Pro Tools icon to open the application.

Create a new session. You can do this by doing Apple + N, or going to the File menu and choosing New Session. A dialog window will pop up. Give the session a name, pick your bit depth and sampling rate. Also check to see that the session is being created in the right place. Once you fill in all this info hit OK. You will see it do some zippy stuff and your new blank session will pop up. If you have two monitors, more than likely the Mix and Edit will both appear, blank.

Create new tracks. You can do this by doing Apple + Shift + N or going to the File drop down menu and choosing New Track. A dialog window will pop up. It will let you choose how many new tracks you want to create, what format (mono or stereo for LE, mono, stereo or multitrack for TDM) and what type (audio, aux, midi, master fader). You can only create one format and/or type at a time. In other words, if you want to create a session with 3 mono tracks, 3 stereo tracks, 4 auxiliary tracks, 8 MIDI tracks and 1 Master Fader you would have to initiate the new track dialog 5 times. One for mono, one for stereo, etc.

You want to keep things simple to 8 tracks. Is that 4 mono and 2 stereo, or 4 stereo, 8 mono? Let's say for the sake of argument you wanted a session with 4 mono tracks and 2 stereo. Do a new track dialog and choose 4, mono, audio tracks. 4 mono audio tracks will appear in the Edit window and in the Mix window with their spiffy names Audio 1, Audio 2, etc. Do another new track dialog and this time choose 2, stereo, audio tracks. 2 stereo tracks will pop up as before.

Save Session. You now have an 8 track session. Let's make it a template so that you can always start a new session with your blank 8 track layout.

Go to where the session is saved, open the folder and select the session icon by clicking once on it. With the session icon selected do Apple + I or go to File drop down menu, choose Get Info. A dialog window will pop up. At the bottom there is a button called Stationery Pad. Click on it to select it and then click OK. The icon will change its look to reflect the change.

When you open the session from that point on, it will ask you if you want to edit the template or create a new session. Choose New Session, give it an appropriate name and you are done.

Templates can be as simple or as complex as you want them. They can store track amounts, zoom levels, plug in's used, plug in parameters, etc. You however want a simple set up. Follow the above outline and you should be OK.

One caveat. If you use more than one drive as your Audio drive you have to be careful when creating sessions from templates. Let's say you use two drives, Drive A and Drive B. You create a template in Drive A. You open a new session from that template in Drive B. So far so good. You record audio to the new session in Drive B. Guess where your audio is now. It is actually in Drive A, because the session was created from a template on that drive. What's the moral. Create templates for every drive you use. This also applies to partitions inside one drive. You use 10 different audio drives? Do an identical template for each drive. This sounds a lot worse than what it is. Templates take up very, very little drive space. They are quick and easy to create. And doing it this way will save you headaches later.

A couple of additional things. The Pro Tools Reference Guide and other manuals explain all these things to detail, but in a simple understandable manner. Check it out. Also, if you feel you will never need more than 8 tracks look into Pro Tools Free. It is free and has an 8 track limit. Perfect for your needs. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2003, 11:49 AM

Those who responded above are absolutely correct--it is not a complex thing to set up a very simple template for Pro Tools. I have a "big" system, TDM Mix Plus (not the new HD hardware, which I can't afford at the moment,) but it is simple to use. I was an air personality and program director who never touched a two-track, much less an 8-track Otari, so if I could learn ProTools in a couple of weeks, you can too. It can do *anything*, unlike Audicy and other PC based digital workstations. You may just want a very simple interface at first, but if your experience is like mine, you'll be adding and growing and be amazed to find that you have the power and resources to produced world-class production.

If you want a simpler interface (for example, I have no interest in MIDI), just click them off your screen--set your preferences for music only and you won't have those things you don't need visible. I came from the world of Windows and, actually, pre-Windows 8086 DOS computing--but once exposed to PT on a Mac, I'll never go back. I'll be home in LA Sunday night, if you have any specific questions: [email protected]
Exclusively Mac
Voice actor/Studio owner
Old 06-21-2003, 01:08 PM

Hello. Well look into that Pro Tools Free. It's free and has an 8 track limit. Also, TC Works has a product called Spark, which is almost identical to the old Digidesign Sound Designer. I don't know if it's 2 track only or if can do more tracks. But check it out, I believe they also have a free version and demos of their other regular versions.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:44 AM

Apprecation for the input thus far and I will
delve further into experimenting... To respond
to the question of ..."Why Pro Tools...if i want
something simpler... I've yet to find any alternative software that has the simplicity
of...to go back to my previous example -
Bias Peak -- (which i use precisely for
the simple and straightforward screen
layout/display, jog/scrub analog-style
"environment") that isn't Two-Track Only.

For me, just for the purpose of conveying
what would be ideal for me, the perfect
situation would be Bias Peak with 8-tracks.

Of course there's Deck, but that doesn't give
me direct inputs to record within it...The process has to be...cut the tracks in Peak
and then import them into Deck for mixes..

Secondly I am dedicated to Mac...and was
using Sound Designer before Pro Tools
evolved.

In any event, if you have recommendations
for specific 8-tk mac-based software that
somehow I've overlooked... feel free to pass
that along... Meantime I'll definitely take the
advice given here and experiment with the
template-creation suggestions and again,
thanks for the input.

BTW., is Paul Christy Productions the Paul Christy who did Detroit radio and consulting for a long time? Just curious...as I did programming/production and on-air in
in Detroit and Ohio markets for about 20
yrs...until CConsolidation eliminated the
fun factor (and hundreds of talent's jobs of
course..but hey I digress..).

Thanks for the help to all on this once again.

Regards,

Mike/Mich.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:13 AM

Hey Mike, I recently set up an Mbox system on PC for a voice talent here in LV. I have the typewritten instruction sheet and would be happy to email it to you if you think that would help. It's a basic setup for a template that allows him to record auditions that are then emailed to his agents around the country.

As an aside, I too was in Detroit in the 80's and early 90's, working at Ron Rose, Image Express, Ambience etc. Any connection there?