Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 05:44 PM

Default New Macs

Yes, after being at Macworld, I want to update my ol' TowerPower. I want the midsize Mac, but don't know about this NVIDIA Georce Mx w/Twinview. This is truly what I want, but will it create bus errors? I wish Digi would get on this approval thing Right Away (you have 4 weeks before these things SHIP!).
Unlike another post I read, getting a Mac without the Superdrive is next to crazy for me. 5.1 without DVD production is like stereo on 1 speaker. Thanks!
Old 07-19-2001, 10:56 PM

Default Re: New Macs

Good luck on the approval thing getting happening.
Old 07-20-2001, 06:16 AM

I spent a good part of the day yesterday speaking with Apple and ATI reps... here's what I learned about the montiors and video:

1. The NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics card that comes stock in the AGP slot has what they call "ADC" ( Apple Display Connector) - this connector has video, power, and USB integrated. Sort of forces you to use an apple digital LCD (which look awesome, btw) - however, you can buy a $39.99 part from DrBott that will let you convert ADC to DVI http://www.drbott.com/prod/action.la...=33204&-search so you can use any digital display with DVI connector.

2. The NVIDIA GeForce2 MX with TwinView and 64MB of SDRAM is an AGP card that you can get from Apple only if you BTO - it's an additional $100. You can not buy it from any other source. It has 2 video outs: a) the ADC port and b) a VGA (analog) out -- which to me seems USELESS for many, since it was designed for those who want analog VGA out... The system software will let you set the ports to either dual mode or mirror (which could be the best use of this card). I saw a new Apple 15" LCD display (DVI) side by side with a NEC analog (VGA) 15" LCD at the nVidia booth - and it was like night and day. Once you see how good the Apple digital LCD display looks, you will NOT want to consider analog LCD. It's that significant.

3. I was told that it is physically impossible for nVidia to make an AGP card with dual ADC outs, as there is no way to get the required power down the port.

4. The dual monitor solution requires an ATI Radeon card (about $200) with a DVI output, then a solution called the DVIator for Dr. Bott http://www.drbott.com/prod/DVIator.html - this is a $149 adapter that takes a DVI output and adds power (which can not come over the PCI bus) and usb and DVI and turns it all into a single ADC port.

Radeon's rep was not able to answer the bus master question.

So, for those wanting to run dual 22" apple displays (which I can't see the justification for the $, since the 22" is 1600 x 1024 @ $2500, and the 17" is 1280 x 1024 @ $999 - about 4" of screen size wider for $1500/2.5 times the price?) the answer is a PCI card. Will it work with PT? I may order this stuff conditionally and let you all know...

jr

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: SAMPLEHEADS ]
Old 07-20-2001, 07:14 AM

You forgot to mention that the stock card has a 15pin VGA output, so we can all use our current monitors with it (however, just one). Your information here is excellent! Thanks! Now we need some word from Digi. We want 2 monitors, and 4 slots left (atto, and 3 digi cards). We also want a Firewire solution(!), but that's another post...
BTW, the macs are back-ordered for at least 2 weeks.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:39 AM

I was looking at the same thing last week actually , the 22" mac monitor. It would sort out the eye strain and headaches straight away. If you find away of running two of the apple monitors let us know immediately.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-20-2001, 02:27 PM

I'd be curious if Digi will get the Dual (800mhz) working right! I've had my second processor off on my Dual 533 since I got it, just to keep Protools working. My Unity, Photoshop, Premiere etc. would all be much happier with it on, but Digi can't find it in there hearts to FIX THE PROBLEM WITH DUAL PROCESSORS!

Tim

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 07-21-2001, 12:27 AM

Has anyone tried an extender cable to keep the tower in the machine room with an ADC Monitor in the mix room? I found a 25' DVI extension cable at Molex, and they have $40 adapters to convert the cable from ADC to DVI, so they say. I know that Gefen makes an ADC extender box, but it costs more than a 22" Cinema Display!

I'm also interested in a quick turnaround for compatibility for the new G4/867 tower. We are about to expand and purchase two Pro Tools systems, and the new G4 seems like the best (only?) model to get. Of course it will eventually be supported, but we need something soon. Doesn't Digi get pre-release systems to test with in Apple's compatibility lab? Grrrr. -jl
Old 07-21-2001, 04:53 AM

I need to bitch - At Apple.

For every few new things they do right with new releases, they always do something REALLY stupid.

Last time it was getting rid of the power button on the new keyboards.

Now - guess what? You like the sleek new front panel of the new G4 with those drive covers for the CD and zip? Well, that's because you cannot open those doors unless you do it from the keyboard!

Apple seems to think that we all work with the CPU right in front of us.

REALLY stupid. Same with the door for the zip drive. I'm sure we'll soon see G4's with those doors ripped off of them.

dc
Old 07-21-2001, 06:56 AM

I've been searching for the specs on the Apple cinema display or the new apple 17" LCD w/ ADC connector -- does anyone know how LONG this cable is?

I've also been looking for an ADC extender, but can't seem to find one... any thoughts?

I found the Gefen "extend-it" - which is about $199 http://www.gefen.com/products/extend...es/dvi_to_adc/ but this seems to be a DVI-ADC box (similar to the Dr. Bott DVIator, which is only $149). Now, coupled with a Dr. Bott ADC-DVI connector ($40), this could be a solution, but then you would probably need a gender changer...

Does Apple really think everyone keeps their CPUs at eye level?

I need to run my CPU about 25' from the monitor (to my machine room).

Any thoughts on how to extend ADC, or am I gonna have to use non-apple displays?

thanks,

jr

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: SAMPLEHEADS ]

[ July 21, 2001: Message edited by: SAMPLEHEADS ]
Old 07-21-2001, 08:53 PM

Tim,

I have an older dual processor machine, the dual 500 G4, and ProTools likes it just fine. It doesn't make use of the dual processors (darn it!) but doesn't seem to be bothered by them. I don't understand why you need to (or, for that matter how you ..) turn one of them off. I could sure use the horsepower in bouncing to disc.

PC
Exclusively Mac
Voice actor/Studio owner