Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 PM

Default Using ProTools with No Interface [solved]

I just got ProTools HD10, haven't tried to really record any music, I've just been playing around with it to try to get the hang of it. So far I've figured out how to record into ProTools just using the mic on my computer, but when play it back I can't get any sound to come out of either my computer speakers or headphones. I originally searched the forums to see what the problem was, but it seems like everything I'm reading says you need an audio interface to even listen back to what you've recorded. Is it even possible to just plug headphones straight into my computer and listen back? Or do I have to have an interface?

Also the output is on its default settings, and the playback engine is set to ASIO4ALL.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Using ProTools with No Interface

Open the ASIO4ALL setup and choose your computer headphone out . Since you have input, that SHOULD take care of it. The info is a tad misleading. You can't run Pro Tools with nothing, unless you like working by sight. You need some kind of audio path for input and playback. Pro tools requires an ASIO compliant "device", which your on-board sound may cover. As always, using a higher-quality interface will yield better results. What you are doing, assuming you can get playback working, is fine for "learning the ropes', but at some point, you will want some kind of interface with 1 or 2 mic inputs, and decent(pro) output capable of delivering quality sound to a pair of studio monitors. From my reading here, I would look at the Focusrite boxes as being the best value(and I would not recommend the M-Audio options)

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 PM

So would I go to the settings for the Playback Engine or the I/O Setup? On the Playback Engine setup I don't see any option to select an output. Under I/O Setup my only option is SpdifOut 1-2, and I can pick Stereo, Mono Left or Mono Right.

I guess based on what you're saying my problem is really finding where my headphones are under the Output options, not selecting an Output.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 PM

So in Pro Tools, the audio engine is showing as ASIO4ALL? If your SPDIF output is showing available, you could use that to an external converter(old DAT machine?). Hard to say for me as I didn't have as much luck as you have already Maybe if you go to the audio settings in Windows, you can select the headphone out as default there(and hope it allows ASIO4ALL to select it too).

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM

I'm just not understanding why ProTools won't recognize either my computer's speakers or the headphones as output options automatically. It seems unnecessarily complicated
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM

Woohoo, got it! So the problem was just my stupidity, I had set Protools' output device to SPDIF but not my computer's. Thanks for your help man