How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-25-2010, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Creativity killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORILLA View Post
Hello Merry Xmas! I tried it with 4, then 3, then 2. Did everything even called a Bud who's a Mac Support guy. We Zapped the PRam, reset the whole Mac... Cleaned out the Library/ Caches. Everything for hours. Something just didn't work. It's crazy because we can run 80+ tracks on this Mac in another DAW with 5-6 plugins each track and this Mac Pro just runs strong. I know RTAS and AU are different platforms and my Macs always ran slower with RTAS and Pro Tools. Figured things may have changed for the better with this 9 version. It's all good. Still want PT 9
What a drag.... sorry your dealing with it. Did you try taking ALL of the plugs out of the plugin folder EXCEPT the stereo mixer?
Also, did you uninstall, then reinstall PT?
There are many out there running 9 very successfully with your setup.. so something just ain't right, and doubtful that it is PT's fault. Good luck, FF
Old 12-25-2010, 11:34 PM

First of all - don't keep a unit just because of midi. I bought a USB/midi-cable for about USD 30:- and it works just fine.

Secondly - give us all your plugins in the system. (F.x. you use East/West but I hope you don't use it with the old NI-player, but with the new one from East/West?). I used to have this kind of problems on my PC's and that was normally due to plugins...

I sympathize with you...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 12-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Thumbs up Re: Creativity killer

Thanks for replies all!! Yep FF tried that! Yes I use East West with the latest Play engine Symphonic Orchestras Gold / Pianos / Storm Drums 2 / Voices of Passion / Symphonic Choirs. Trust me all my plugins are updated iLok and non-iLok versions. I have some Waves but can't afford that wup to Snow Leopard capabilities, so they'll just sit outside of my plug-ins folders. I've been using Pro Tools since day one of the 001 This was just a weird situation.
One thing I did do was install that Cocoa app from my Snow Leopard disc to run Reason 4! Everytime I tried to run Reason a error message would pop up until I installed Cocoa! And when I run disc permissions on my main drive I get TONS of system/library/ frameworks/ java repairs!! I'm beginning to wonder if it's this Cocoa app!

There was probably one last thing we didn't try and that will probably fix the whole thing. But I'm not sweating it as I know PT9 is dang great and when the time is right. I'll grab my own copy!! I'm pretty decent in my other DAW. It's just getting projects that are already done in PT .... having PT makes it sooooo much quicker and easier

All good in this hood!
Old 12-26-2010, 03:40 PM

may be iZotope create your problem.
www.linkedin.com/in/marrakechprod
https://pro-labs.imdb.com/name/nm3047395
------------------
Mac Pro 2.8, 8 Core,16 GIG Ram, PT HD 10 - 12. Mac Book Pro 2.6 Retina 16 GIG Ram, Artist Control/MIX.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrap View Post
may be iZotope create your problem.
+1

If I remember correctly Izotope did re issue some plug-ins with a new installer but the same version number; it was just the creation date that was change. Better to redownload those.

JC
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC925602 View Post
+1

If I remember correctly Izotope did re issue some plug-ins with a new installer but the same version number; it was just the creation date that was change. Better to redownload those.

JC
Wow... 1 plugin can cripple PT that bad? Never knew that. I'll re-download Ozone and when He gets back in town I'll grab His iLok and try it one more time.... fingers crossed

Thanks JC and Marrap!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 11:54 PM

I hear you about the creativity killer. I just came in my studio to try the demo of Nectar. I had a session going, impoprted a drum loop.....okay...... went to lay down a guitar track using Eleven Rack.....opened 11....completely distorted effing sound. Sounds like distortion plus a crapped out ring modulator on it. Tried restarting Pro Tools, retarting the computer...nothing ....awful sound. Drums still sound titties.So I got to run from the pedalboard straight in using a direct box....distorted audio....what the hell, cables? Try swapping out...same,, guitar? Try several others...same.

Right now it is almost midnight, I coulda watched a friggen movie, several nice old one's on Netflix.

I trashed prefs, and am repairing permissions......not holding my breath.

Why can't I just come in here time after time after time and get a good stable performance from my Pro Tools rig?

I am about to drop $265 or so on VEPro because Pro Tools wiill not run more than a few Instrument tracks with VI's worth a damn.

Not a happy camper right now and my groove is thoroughly trashed.

Yeah I know.....I have done all that ....... the troubleshooting stuff, the plug in's....over and over. I thought I had it. The last few times I was in here all was working smoothly, I just was not recording guitars....only trying out VI's and stuff.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Sorry you are having troubles. With so many plugs and VIs, I would not know where to start.

Maybe start with no plugs at all and no VIs. See if the "naked" PT will work and then add one thing at a time to see what is causing the failure.

My PT9 is working fine but I don't have all the add-ons like you have. Maybe the problem is not PT at all???
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Sorry I kinda went off.....sorry GORILLA old mate, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

After about almost 2 hours of trying everything I could think of....including turning off my interfaces and rack mixer-which are all on the same ART Power distribution system so I can turn them all on and off with one button........I mean I tried everything before, in desperation, I individually turned off 11Rack using it's power switch...... and flipped it back on and that was it. Sorted.

Strange stuff.

How are you doing GORILLA? Did you get any joy yet?You have a bunch of the same VI's I have and I also started with 001......... same sort of path. Get PT9, I think you will dig it. If you have any of the Toolkits you can get the upgrade to CPTK for $299 or if you buy the Instrument Expansion Pack at the same time as PT9 upgrade you get that for $299.....so some good deals to be had.

BTW.....try removing the plug in's like someone suggested. Make a folder on the desktop called Removed plugs or whatever and open the Plug in's alias folder in the Pro Tools folder in apps. Remove anything non Avid and anything suspect, drag into the folder you made. I would take out all the Spectrasonics stuff, EWQL Play libraries and Izotope...just for now.Get it down to basics. Trash prefs and then start a new session.....do not open an older one......don't know if this is standard but to me it seems like it never works well as a test if you do. Then run a bunch of the AIR plugs and Digi/Avid VI's like Xpand and whatever you have...Mini Grand, the B-3 one etc etc and see how you do as far as errors. If you are doing well then start dragging your 3rd party VI's back in one by one each time adding that on a new indtrument track in the session to see when you get the messages. I dunno, it is just a thought.....I have done this several times and never really found a correlation between adding a VI or plug in and the problem coming back so to me that meant my problem was likely elsewhere.

If you can get a hold of a PT Demo session you can try that also....especially if it has a lot of Avid VI's in it....see how that runs on your computer. You don't actually have to record any music really in your test session, just silence.......just load a bunch of instrument tracks and audio tracks and slowly insert reverbs on the audio tracks and instances of Xpand or Mini Grand etc on the instrument tracks and record arm them and let it record for a minute or so....then add more until you get errors.

At least this is how I would try it........I may be wrong.

Time consuming but worth a shot. Just be careful you do not trash a needed plug in though somehow.

Have you tried different FW ports? Do you have any USB hubs? Have you turned off Airport+Bluetooth and do you have Spotlight Indexing turned off for all your hard drives?
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Thumbs up Re: Creativity killer

No prob at all L-Dogg!!! Trust me I know how ya' feel when you got a good creative streak going and things start acting up! We pretty much tried dang near everything. I will try un-plugging FW drives next time. My Bud who's an Apple tech tried everything He knew. I can run 'the legion' demo no prob. And I still have 'filtered dream' demo. They run O.K. I did record 1 track. But it was in like 6 takes! And that's because I kept getting stoppages and error messages about CPU and buffer sizes. I pulled out all mine and His plugins and threw them in a desktop folder. I'm suspecting maybe the firebox, or Cocoa app? I dunno. I did have PTLE 7.3cs1 on this same computer, but in OSX 10.4.11 which is on a different partition. We put PT 9 on the Snow Leopard partition. Maybe I should delete everything with it? I don't know why I still had it on there as I checked hahahaha. It hasn't been opened since May of 08'!

When I get some more funds, I'll try it again or if I get His iLok again. Could it have been two iLoks on one computer? I'm just thinking out loud now. My other DAW is running great so.... I'll check PT 9 sometime next year.

Have a safe New Years Eve everyone!!! C ya next year buhahahaha!