Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 AM

Default New Macbook Pro - using iLok w/PT HD 9 Should I be scared?

So new Macbook Pro incoming and would like to use my iLok from my Mac Pro HD rig as to not buy the software twice. It's kind of bent & I don't have the iLok downtime insurance yet but I will momentarily.

Should I not worry about the iLok breaking since I'll have the downtime insurance? I mean it's obviously going to be a major PITA if it breaks but in theory I should get the assets back while they give me the temporary licenses...right?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 AM

Default Re: New Macbook Pro - using iLok w/PT HD 9 Should I be scared?

Why not buy a replacement ilok for $40 (or get the newer ilok for $50) and transfer your licenses to that? It is a cheap solution to a possible broken ilok. The zero downtime insurance only give you a temporary license.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 12-31-2010, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Why not buy a replacement ilok for $40 (or get the newer ilok for $50) and transfer your licenses to that? It is a cheap solution to a possible broken ilok. The zero downtime insurance only give you a temporary license.
Yeah, I'm going to get the smaller iLok and do that but it still doesn't help if that crashes. It's just a drag that AVID won't give you a way to use the software on two machines without taking out your spendy licensed iLok...even though you can buy their insurance for it. The least amount of times you have to insert & remove the iLok the better.

YMMV.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:12 AM

In answer to the question in the header of the thread: no.
I mean, I guess if you're prone to fears and worries, buy a $6 dongle buddy, that way you're not actually inserting or removing the iLok itself.
I've had the same old school blue iLok for 9 years, removed and inserted it thousands of times, and never had an issue.
They're pretty sturdy, actually.
The generation 2 iLoks appear to be sturdier still.
As to iLoks "crashing," it's rare. Very rare.
Zero Downtime insurance is pretty darned affordable, especially if you have thousands of dollars worth of licenses on your iLok.
Mine is also insured against theft and loss with my studio insurance.
That said, I can no more imagine "losing" an iLok, than I could imagine "losing" any other piece of gear.
Theft is another thing, but there really aren't that many iLok thieves running around.
I think if my studio was robbed, they'd probably not bother with the little blue plastic thing in the USB hub.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 AM

all good points.

Chit happens...I wish I didn't have to have my HD Rig iLok in my Macbook Pro is all. I suppose on behalf of all LE users who got ADC with the PT9 update though I should be happy for them. An extra license would be asking too much.

Seriously though...good points you make, I'll get the USB dongle buddy thingy also. Thx.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmost View Post
all good points.

Chit happens...I wish I didn't have to have my HD Rig iLok in my Macbook Pro is all. I suppose on behalf of all LE users who got ADC with the PT9 update though I should be happy for them. An extra license would be asking too much.

Seriously though...good points you make, I'll get the USB dongle buddy thingy also. Thx.
Yeah.. It was nice being able to go to your laptop and just launch LE with no dongle. And leave your iLok with your HD licence just sitting in your HD machine.. But then truth be told -- when you were sitting at the laptop you needed your iLok with the plugins on it too.. So -- I guess in the end -- there was NO working situation on the laptop that was without an iLok plugged in and having to move it from machine to machine -- unless, of course, you kept an iLok at your HD machine with JUST the HD license on it and another one for plugins.

I think the fact that my new iLok2 is do sturdy and I don't have to tether a piece of hardware from it while working on the laptop -- is a good enough 'prize' for me in the release of PT9. It's still pretty surreal sitting on my livingroom couch and hearing my 50 track full mix + premastering all coming out my MBP speakers. Still not used to being able to do that. Not since 'ProTools FREE' - remember that? Only 8 tracks though back then with FREE. My PT9 world is a very good one - even having to travel around with my iLok on my Keychain everywhere as I travel to three studio locations where I have my own setups and need it. I too have Zero Downtime insurance on the iLok, $30/year and a $40/year rider on my homeowner's insurance for lost/stolen for replacement value of all the licenses. So I don't fear.

Though I would never have considered NOT using my Dongle Buddy with the iLok1 plastic babies -- which always seemed one step away from breaking off (and I had '2' fail over the years) -- this new iLok2, by contrast, is a rock.. I won't use the Dongle Buddy at all with it -- which was always a little 'in the way' too and not very -- well -- not very cool lookin'..
Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 AM

I haven't not had to use an iLok ever with Pro Tools. LE, HD, M-P... etc.

I like my plugins, and the ones I have require an iLok. I've also never had one break on me. Chit does happen... but not very often with iLoks. If you break one, ZDT allows you to transfer your licenses to a new iLok right away, and once you send them your broken iLok they become permanent.

The only time where you may have to cover the cost of lost licenses is if you lose it or the iLok is stolen. Unfortunate reality, but isn't that the way with pretty much everything else? It breaks... they cover it. You lose it, you cover it.

I still much prefer having all my licenses in one place, rather than having to re-license everything every time I switch to a new machine or reformat my current one.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515