Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2002, 07:55 AM

Default Sony DMX-R100 as a control surface?

Any ideas on using a DMX-R100 as a control surface with ProTools or would the better route be to go with Pro Control? Trying to kill 2 birds with one console. Any info would be very helpful.

joe popp
Old 03-18-2002, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Sony DMX-R100 as a control surface?

The new Yamaha DM2000 will compete directly with the Sony board and is said to have "extensive" support for Pro Tools. And you won't lose half of your channels when running at 96k. Worth looking at...
Old 03-18-2002, 08:29 AM

you would much better off putting the 20k into a procontrol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 03-18-2002, 08:35 AM

pro control, all the way. I've lived with both, and the PC is way way slicker.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:28 AM

Thanks guys! I will say this is for a Post situation mostly with some music production. Anyone else?
Old 03-18-2002, 11:32 AM

Have you thought about the Control 24? 16 Pre-Amps, 24 faders, thousands less than the Sony and a 24 fader Pro Control... something to think about.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:31 PM

It really depends on what you've got going on with A->D conversion. If you need more channels of nice AD and need more EQ and dynamics processing - you might want to get a real mixer instead of ProControl. But if you have enough AD conversion and enough processing then the ProControl may be the answer. As far as control surfaces go ProControl wins - the Yamaha comes in 2nd and the Sony a distant third. However, many people think the Sony (DMX-R100) has nicer sounding convertors, better EQ, a better automation system and is more flexible overall. I have one and find it great partner to ProTools - many things go much faster (which is a plus). The Yamaha is a better value - but it is yet to be seen whether the audio quality is the same, better, or worse. The Yamaha will definitely have better ProTools control (the Sony's is currently not so good). I felt buying the Sony when I did (16 months ago) killed 3 birds with one stone - but remote control of ProTools wasn't one of them. In particular - full band tracking and multiple headphone mixes are much better with an external mixer - less latency and much quicker turnaround. Also - if you have an external tape/HD recorder - you are not sunk if your computer dies - you can still track. An external mixer is also easier to sell (because you can sell it to anyone who needs a mixer not just protools users).

Do you need the mixer to do AD conversion?
What is your ProTools rig like?
Do you use Surround ?
How many microphones do you use at once?
Old 03-18-2002, 09:37 PM

I'm still curious about the original question. Just what kind of control over Protools automation can you really have? Anything beyond faders?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2002, 10:40 PM

How about it, anyone actually doing this?

Thanks,

Jeff [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2002, 05:03 AM

This really is going to come down to how you want to work and what you have to work with. The Sony DMX-R100 is an amazing digital board, I get to play with it every once in awhile here at Sweetwater. The sound is incredible! Yes, I hear the new DM2000 is going to have extensive support for ProTools and I really think it's going to be a great sounding console, but how something sounds is also subjective. What I mean is, Yamaha sound is usually GREAT! But what they lack is that musical sound that we're used to with say Apogee AD8000's... the Sony DMX has THAT kind of sound. It's EQ is amazing! Now, not everyone likes to mix inside of the computer... they still prefer to mix on the console. I am the other way around, I like doing everything inside the computer.

To me, the Digi converters are good enough and the new 192 is great! By getting something like the ProControl or even a Control24, you have more capability in controlling ProTools own internal features. I doubt that the DM2000, as great as it will be, will control every possible feature and function of ProTools. After all, Digi will still want to sell their own control surfaces ;-) It really is going to come down to the way YOU want to work and need to work. You may find that you don't need much control internally of ProTools and a digital board like the DMX or DM2000 will work for your needs.... of you may find a nice ProControl system is the best way for you to go. You may even come to the conclusion that a bank of Motormix's and some great outboard gear might be the way to go Who knows, that's all up to you (and your pocket of course).