Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-12-2000, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Importing OMF Session???

your OMF tool is in your digi folder..its a stand alone converter that will create a PT session using his omf file... its pretty straight forward but the omf has to be saved the right way first. Is it coming from and AVID? if so I can help...you'll need 2 things from him when he saves the file .. 1) a folder with the media files in it .. have him consolidate the media with handles to the zip. the OMF tool workes better when the files are SDII files not AIFF. this is determined when the editor is digitized his media origionally (recorded into the avid)
2) a sequence document... after he cosolidates the media he has to export the sequence to the same zip... this is the file the OMF tool uses to create a PT session, using the media on the disc. when you convert the file, save it to your media drive it creates a session file an Audio folder(empty) and a fade file. Delete the empty audio folder...then look at the zip.. you'll see a OMFI media folder.. re-name it Audio Files...and drag it to where the empty folder was.. be sure to eject the zip before opening the session ..when you open you session you may need to direct pro tools to that folder ..and to the fade file folder but thats it .. everything should fall into place as far as timecode.. if a box pops up during the OMF conversion saying can't find MOB file or something like that you may be missing that file in your session when you open it .. this is problem is sometimes caused by AIff files mixed in with SDII files. nothing you can do about that unless your editor wants to rebatch his audio and record it as SDII
Old 05-13-2000, 12:40 AM

Default Importing OMF Session???

Is it just me? I see nothing in the ProTools 5.0 manual TOC or index about "OMF." Someone wants to bring over a session on a jazz drive as an OMF file. Can I import this into 5.0 and have a reasonable expectation that it will work? Will the time code show up in the right place? What do I need to do and look out for?