Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-24-2001, 07:48 AM

Default Newbie needs help...

I haven't bought 001 yet but I just watched the Digi video and am lusting after it. I am an absolute newbie to this home recording thing and I could really use the advice of the experts. I play mainly Irish folk music and I want to produce my own CDs to sell at my gigs. I want to record mainly myself, one track at a time. FX will be minimal, a little reverb on the vocals, a little compression on the bouzouki, a little chorus on the guitar. I am concerned about my system. I have a Gateway, Windows 98, Pentium (r)II, 350 MHz, 128 RAM, FAT 32. This looks like the bear minimum, according to the Digi web site. Can I get away with this system, given what I intend to do with it? Or should I be thinking about a computer upgrade before I get my 001?

Thanking everyone in advance for your advice and assistance. Mark in Minneapolis

------------------
"Make everything louder than everything else." - Iam Gillan, 1973
Old 05-24-2001, 08:28 AM

Default Re: Newbie needs help...

Mark:

I wouldn't recommend attempting to run PT on your current machine. Somewhere around a PIII-600 with 256MB is about the true minimum configuration for a Digi001 system.

I think you'll have a much more enjoyable experience using this wonderful platform if you go ahead and upgrade. Keep your current system for web surfing, email and letter writing, but get a new system JUST for PT and nothing else. As little as $1000 will get you a very fast system that will really make you smile when you use it.

Read the Digidesign compatibility documents and follow them to the letter when constructing your new system. Also, do some searching and reading on this group for ideas and suggestions.

Good luck,

merwin
Synthtank Studio
http://www.Synthtank.com
Old 05-24-2001, 09:13 AM

Or start by downloading PT Free and try it. It might be enough for your needs.

/Henrik
www.mp3.com/henrikhansson
Old 05-24-2001, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maybrick5:
I play mainly Irish folk music and I want to produce my own CDs to sell at my gigs.
If this were mostly true, it would make a lot of sense to find someone else to engineer your CD. To do it yourself, you will need to invest in:

1) Mic's
2) a system
3) digi-001
4) Plugins, like Waves perhaps
and more importantly:

5) Learn how to record
6) Learn how to mix

Now if you want to include a new career/hobby that is not exactly music, great. If you want a CD to sell at gigs, find someone that can do it.

Actually I think it is a great idea to learn
the DAW, if you plan to write songs and create demo's on it and you know the amount of time you will end up investing. It just doesn't add up if your main goal is a CD
of material that you are ready to play.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dsteele (edited May 24, 2001).]
Old 05-24-2001, 10:05 AM

I am in full agreement with dsteele. It is very challenging to produce/record/edit/master a CD project. It sounds to me like you have a limited number of vocal and instruments you want to record per song. Maybe PT free would work for you, but if you consider all the gear, plus the upgrade to the PC you will need, you could probably produce your project in a small studio and pay less than you would spend on what would be necessary to sell a quality product to the public. Then agian, if you are prepared invest time and money in a recording studio and educate yourself in all the disciplines necessary to make your own CDs, PTLE is a great way to go.

Luck o' the Irish to ya
Old 05-24-2001, 09:11 PM

Myself, on the other hand, We used the PC to record stuff as we were just putzing around, to save stuff we might want to use later, and in that manner, it has really helped us as far as writing music goes...
Old 06-04-2001, 08:07 PM

I myself run PTLE and the Digi 001 on a
P2 333Mhz celeron with no problem. Try running the free stuff.

Peace,
Nightwolf
A strong desire to create
Old 06-04-2001, 09:13 PM

I agree with starting with Pro Tools Free. Keep in mind that it is not a fully optimized piece of software. The performance you will recieve from an LE system will be far superior. This will give you a chance to learn the software and decide if you want to begin the never ending process of building your own home studio. The learning curve does take away from music making, but, if you are working with audio only you can be at a functional point in a relativly short period of time. Once you have learned the software, things will begin to flow more quickly.
As far as cost goes... good quality recording by talented engineers costs MONEY! You might find someone with a decent studio at a reasonable cost, but that is probably because they don't have a lot of experience. To record a complete good sounding CD, even at $30 to $60 an hour, will more than cover the cost of getting a good start on a home studio going. Most importantly, once that money is spent, you still have the tools to create future projects far less additional cost.
If you want to learn to do it yourself then do it And enjoy every minute of it. (you can count the non-frustating time in minutes)

Best of luck!

-trevor
Old 06-05-2001, 10:07 AM

Thanks to all for the advice. I've recorded CDs in others' studios and was never happy with the sound, or the expense. It's time I learned how to do this stuff myself. I've been mucking about with PTF and so far I like it alot. The potential of the software is truely amazing, especially when you consider that "Meet The Beatles" and "Revolver" were recorded on a mere four tracks...

PS: Trevorab - Is that you? A long shot I know but if so three things 1) Thanks for the advice, 2) "Talk" is fantastic, and 3) my e-mail address is [email protected]

If not, then just chalk me up for a knob...

------------------
"Make everything louder than everything else." - Ian Gillan, 1973

[This message has been edited by Maybrick5 (edited June 05, 2001).]