Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2003, 11:14 AM

Default MBox help - punching in w/o punching.

Is there a way within Pro Tools LE and the MBox to set up a particular segment for recording, as opposed to having to punch in every time you get to the point at which you want to begin recording?
Old 06-11-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: MBox help - punching in w/o punching.

Yeah, you can loop record it, I select a section before and after, right click the record button until it says 'L' on it, then record. When you're done, I think you ctrl-click the highlited section and it gives you a list of the takes you just made. Then you select the one you like. If it's not ctrl, it's one of those modifiers. Should be in the manual.
-Olaf
Old 06-11-2003, 01:18 PM

if you only want to do a single take, but you want to hear whats before and after, just highlight the section you want to punch into, and then set ample pre-roll and post-roll values so you can hear the lead in and lead out.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:23 AM

biggity-bump!
Old 06-12-2003, 03:39 PM

Thanks guys. What I'd like to do is outline a section and have some of the music roll before I hit the spot where I'm trying to come in. It'd be exactly like punching in/out, only the spots would be picked perfectly and the punch in/out would be automated.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:25 PM

bump!
Old 06-12-2003, 06:32 PM

yeah, you want Pre-roll and post-roll...look at the transport window ([CTRL] + [Keypad 1]). In the lower left you should see the buttons labeled preroll and postroll. Next to them is a box with a time in it. The numbers for pre and post roll correspond to whatever type of timeline you are viewing (Bars|Beats, Time, Samples, etc...). So if you want ot hear four bars before you record set the pre roll to 4|1|000. If you want 5 seconds, switch to the Time view in the timeline and then enter 5.000 in the pre-roll. The Post roll works the same way but it affects how long PT will continue playing after it has reached the end of the selection. Once you enter in the amounts, make sure you click the buttons so they are highlighted (pre and post roll).

Now go into the edit window. Record enable the track you are going to use. Highlight the exact section you want to record. Now when you hit record, Protools will start playing at the preroll adn when the playhead reaches your highlighted selection it will automatically start recording. It will record all the way through your selection and once it reaches the end it will stop recording but continue playing until the postroll length is reached.

You know, I'm not sure if Auto Punch has to be enabled or not. Try it and if it doesn't work, toggle AutoPunch from the Operations menu and see if it makes it work.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page