Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2002, 02:22 PM

Default keyboard instruments mismatched

I'm a newbie. I have ProTools LE (5.0.1, I think), Digi001, and a Quicksilver G4. I'm having problems with MIDI - when I record enable and start playing, the patch I have chosen on my keyboard and the patch coming out my Digi001 don't always match. It's annoying. I've reverted to recording everything as audio, but for percussion I'd like to use MIDI. My keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-530. I'm planning on getting a new keyboard soon, but in the meantime, I'd like to get this working. Any suggestions? I'm fairly sure all the hardware connections are correct.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:14 PM

Default Re: keyboard instruments mismatched

What do you mean exactly by: "the patch coming out my Digi001"?

Sorry, do you mean the patch you've entered into the 'program change' window in Pro Tools doesn't match the one you're playing on your keyboard?

Two reasons:

- Your patches are numbered from 1-128 and Pro Tools is set to 0-127.

- You're using a patch from one of many banks and Pro Tools isn't set to change to the correct bank.

Of course, it's a bit more complicated than that, so with more info, I may be able to help.

Phil
Old 06-17-2002, 06:56 AM

I'm fairly certain that the second reason - "You're using a patch from one of many banks and Pro Tools isn't set to change to the correct bank." - is the culprit of my frustration. I wasn't aware of the use of banks. My keyboard has something like 600 voices, so that's probably the reason. The ProTools documentation concerning the Program Change window is unclear to me, especially the Default Program Change portion: "In the Program Change window, select a program number (or name) and, if necessary, specify a bank change value." Well, the Program Change window has fields for Patch, Controller 0, and Controller 32 - I'm guessing program number is Patch and bank change value is Controller #? It also makes mention of Controller 0 or Controller 32 to switch banks, and to check the manufacturers' documentation to determine which message my device uses. I can't determine which one my Yamaha PSR-530 uses from the manual. There is a Voice List for my keyboard, with five columns: Voice Number; two Bank Select columns - MSB and LSB (?); MIDI Program Change Number; and Voice Name. I guess LSB is the the bank change value and MIDI Program Change Number is the Patch number I want? I haven't had a chance to try changing the bank, but I wanted to make sure I have a clear understanding of what's going on. Can you tell me if what I've written makes sense, and maybe provide some clarification if necessary?
Old 06-18-2002, 10:37 AM

Ah, you're right, is does sound like 'bank select' is the problem.

A bank consists of up to 128 patches (presets/voices/instruments). Any more than that and extra banks must be used to store them.

To access the different banks, two 'continuous controllers' (cc##) are used (ie. cc00 and cc32 - as you've already spotted at the top of the Program Change window).

Once the synth has switched to the correct bank, the patch is recalled using the regular program change command.

With that in mind, this should now make some sense:

Controller 0 (cc00) = MSB (Most Significant Bit)

Controller 32 (cc32) = LSB (Least Significant Bit)

From the manual, you can see what values for MSB and LSB you must enter into the Program Change fields marked "Controller 0" and "Controller 32" respectively to access the desired bank.

Being a Mac owner, you're blessed (although many might say cursed) by OMS Names. This appication allows you to create patch name lists - including the relevent bank select codes. Once an OMS Patch Name Document has configured for your synth, you can open the Program Change window and see the patches listed as their proper names rather than numbers, and switch between banks simply via a dropdown menu rather than having to remember and punch in MSB/LSB controllers.

Thankfully, you don't have to type the patch names in by hand because they may be copied directly from the electronic version of the owners manual from here.

Then arm yourself with my "OMS Patch Name Document QuickGuide" from here.

Once you're done, please consider sharing your work along with many others at the OMS Names Library.

Best of luck, and please feel free to ask for help if you get stuck. It takes a bit of time to set it up, but will be well worth your efforts in the long run.

Phil
Old 08-10-2002, 09:52 PM

Thought i'd post here since it's the same subject. I have a Yamaha PSR-270. In the back of the manual, i'm looking at the voice list, and the MSB, LSB, Midi Program change#. In Mac PTFree i'm entering them into the patch list, nothing is happening. I even looked at the OMS and Yamaha sites, my keybaord isnt' an option. This is driving me nuts!
Old 08-12-2002, 08:54 AM

anyone?
Old 08-12-2002, 01:24 PM

As accession said, "OMS names" is software for the patch names.

Then you subscribe to than new list for the device in OMS setup.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:01 PM

It's not in either of those sources, it has Yamaha but not PSR-270, the Yamaha site doesn't have the manual either.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:50 PM

???? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Type the patch names into OMS names.

Then subscribe to it.

If it works out OK send the file to doc22, for the next person.