Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2019, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Midi "Greyed Out" on Instrument track

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
Guys, I found an foolproof solution to this issue. Totally solved the problem for good.

Step One: quit protools.

Step two: buy Cubase

Step three: Learn it and use it.

Step 4: Thank me later.
Step 5: Wait for phone to ring.

Step 6: Sell Cubase and get back to work with Pro Tools!

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/john-...s/date-asc/100

http://soundbetter.com/profiles/3845-john-siket
Old 04-16-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South25 View Post
Ok, here is something that may be of interest:
After posting last night, I have struck on the following which has resolved my problem with the greyed out midi in the idea session I'm working on. This is a breakdown of what I did:
1: Opened up the session (Superior Drummer 3 grooves already pasted into my stereo instrument track). Clips greyed out.
2: Open Instrument view on stereo instrument track "All" selected, and "Instrument 1" states SD3 is selected via midi channel 1. Clips now Blue.
3: I then created a new MIDI track (which automatically had "All" and SD3 routed to midi channel 2 in the I/O section.
4: I then dragged the clips from the stereo instrument track, to the midi track, hit play which was absolutely fine. The groove played back normally.
5: I then re-dragged the midi back to the stereo instrument track, hit playback, all ok.
6: I then saved and closed the session, quit Protools, then re-booted the session and hey presto the clips on the stereo instrument track was no longer grey and played back perfectly.
7: I then deleted the midi track I'd created, closed and saved the session and quit Protools again. Re-opened session all ok, no Greyed out midi for me!!

I have spent the day booting up old sessions where the midi was greyed out, did what I've mentioned earlier and all have since loaded up with no Greyed out midi.
I have absolutely no idea as to why this seems to have put a stop to the Greyed out midi, but it has and that is all I was concerned about.
Just thought I'd post this to see if anyone else has the same luck that I did.
Hey thanks for the Tip.
But it doesn´t work.
The Midi Notes still like on my Picture.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-16 um 15.41.05.jpg (11.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-19-2020, 05:25 AM

I have encountered this phenomena upon occasion. It was alarming at first, and still don’t know why it occurs, but I came up with a couple workarounds.
1) the MIDI notes that You have written are still there on the piano roll- haven’t lost that work. I have found a solution by creating another track, (haven’t tried the duplicate method yet), loading the instrument into the new track, then sliding the clip from the non-playing track to the new results in a track that plays what you wrote on the old track. Sometimes, (not always) you can drag the plug-in to the new track, though be sure you don’t try to drag from a mono to stereo track or vice versa.
2) I have sometimes found that reloading the instrument works, though you will lose the settings you may have created in the VST. This doesn’t always work.
3) sometimes , not always,I have found that simply writing a new note on the greyed track will make it live . Then erase the note- do not click “ undo” or Control/Z.