Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM

Default Trouble with plugins crashing program. (PC)

I am having major problems when I start trying to EQ my recordings.
I just got Protools m-powered running on a PC and with a firewire 410 interface. Recording and playback works fine, and I can add a plugin, (such as EQ), but when I start adjusting the settings I start hearing really bad static in the headphones which then won't go away, even if I undo everything. The only thing to be done is restart Protools. It does this everytime without fail. Sometimes the program just crashes. What could be causing this and what should I do?

Thanks.

Thanks, here are my stats:

Computer: Dell Insperion 6400
Genuine Intel(R) CPU
T2060 @ 1.60 GHz
797 MHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

System:
Microsoft XP Professional
Version 2002
Service pack 2

Audio interface: Firewire 410
Firewire external drive: Mercury Elite Pro
Version of Protools: M-Powered 7

Thanks again for any help anyone can offer. As I said before, the program will record, I just can't work with any plugins.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Trouble with plugins crashing program. (PC)

You should post the specifics of your machine as mentioned in the General troubleshooting post, which means also that you should read the General Troubleshooting post.

It's hard to tell you what's wrong when we don't even know what you've got.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 10-10-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
You should post the specifics of your machine as mentioned in the General troubleshooting post, which means also that you should read the General Troubleshooting post.

It's hard to tell you what's wrong when we don't even know what you've got.
There are specific instructions that, so far, you have not followed.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 10-10-2008, 10:28 AM

And this is happening with ALL of your plug ins? Even digidesign plug ins?
Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
10 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Old 10-10-2008, 10:55 AM

Digidesign plug ins are the only plug ins I've tried to use thus far. I don't have any problems until I get to the plug in stage.

I can not seem to get this to work, and the problem occurs with Cuebase as well... exactly the same problem.

Here are more computer specs that I had not included before:

General Information :
Product : MM061
OEM Information :
OEM #1 : Dell System
OEM #2 : 5[0003]
OEM #3 : 13[PP12L]

Mainboard : Dell 0XD720
Chipset : Intel i945PM
Processor : Intel Pentium T2060 @ 1600 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon X1400
Hard Disk : Hitachi (80 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A
Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM440x 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet
Network Card : Broadcom Corp Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

Processor : Intel Pentium T2060
Type : Intel Pentium

Internal Specification : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2060 @ 1.60GHz
Model Number : T2060

Revision : D0
Technology : 0.065µ

CPU ID : 6.E.C
CPU IDEx : 6.E.C

Frequency : 1600 MHz - (current : 798.06 MHz)
Real Frequency : 798.05 MHz
Multiplier : 6x
Low/High Multiplier : 6x / 12x
Marketing Frequency : 1600.08 MHz

Bus Speed : 133 MHz
FSB Frequency : 532 MHz (QDR)

Initial Frequencies :
Frequency : 1600 MHz
Bus Speed : 133.34 MHz (QDR)
Multiplier : 12x

Frequency Control :
Core #1 : 798.05 MHz
Core #2 : 798.07 MHz

Number of Core : 2
Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 PM

The specs you posted are not (at all) what the instructions in the General Troubleshooting post ask for. Have you even read the General Troubleshooting post? This is getting a little like pulling teeth...

Also,
Quote:
Originally Posted by emersonrailroad View Post
Digidesign plug ins are the only plug ins I've tried to use thus far.
Quote:
the problem occurs with Cuebase as well... exactly the same problem.
Ummmm... how can that be possible? Pro Tools and Cubase use different plugin formats.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
The specs you posted are not (at all) what the instructions in the General Troubleshooting post ask for. Have you even read the General Troubleshooting post? This is getting a little like pulling teeth...

Also,Ummmm... how can that be possible? Pro Tools and Cubase use different plugin formats.

Thanks for your help. I have indeed read the General Troubleshooting post, multiple times. The list of things I needed to provide was, however, buried deep enough in the text that it took several reads to locate the list.
I am providing this information to the best of my ability and knowledge. I have verified that my computer should be able to run these programs. Here are the stats I believe I need to produce.
Main Board: Dell OXD720
Computer model: MM061
Processor speed: 1.60 GHz
OS version: (I'm not sure this is it, but what I came up with was) *A12*
Protools version: M-Powered 7
Ram: 2 GB
External Hard Drive: Mercury Elite Pro FW 400+ USB 2.0

I have done everything from the Pro Tools getting started guide, configuring windows xp.
I adjusted processor scheduling performance, I have the latest version of quicktime, I downloaded the protools tech support folder. I disabled the mentioned device drivers and start up items. I deleted protools preference files as suggested and even reinstalled protools.

I have not yet entered the Bios on my computer, but I have set up everything that I could do without going into the bios.

I'm not trying to make this feel like pulling teeth, I'm doing my best to follow the instructions given. Please, if I have something wrong, I would be most greatfull someone would point me in the right direction. Finding out what the OS version is, for starters, (if A12 doesn't make since.)

The same problem occurs on Pro Tools and Cubase alike. It happens in exactly the same way with exactly the same frequency. I can't explain how this is the case, but it is. It's an interesting puzzle, but I'm stumped.

Thanks again. I hope someone can shed some light, and once again, if I've figured something wrong, let me know so I can fix it.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I have indeed read the General Troubleshooting post, multiple times. The list of things I needed to provide was, however, buried deep enough in the text that it took several reads to locate the list.
I am providing this information to the best of my ability and knowledge. I have verified that my computer should be able to run these programs. Here are the stats I believe I need to produce.
Main Board: Dell OXD720
Computer model: MM061
Processor speed: 1.60 GHz
OS version: (I'm not sure this is it, but what I came up with was) *A12*
Quote:
I'm not trying to make this feel like pulling teeth, I'm doing my best to follow the instructions given. Please, if I have something wrong, I would be most greatfull someone would point me in the right direction. Finding out what the OS version is, for starters, (if A12 doesn't make since.)
Wow. Just... wow.

Here are the instructions exactly as they appear in the General Troubleshooting post:
Quote:
=====

Note: To enable other users to help you, please include all of your system details when posting an issue to the DUC; Pro Tools hardware, Pro Tools software version, CPU, OS version, Motherboard make/model, chipset, amount of RAM, type of hard drives used, etc.

- Please - Use SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application to generate a full system profile:

www.sisoftware.co.uk

Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions. After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post here on the DUC.
I'm not sure how you could have missed the red and bolded text...
but you missed it...
several times now...

Please, oh dear heaven please, follow those instructions and post that information.

If, as you said, you are having the same problem in Cubase, then you couldn't have been just using the stock Digidesign plugins, since you can't use those in Cubase, you dig? Please use the Tech Support Utility that is linked in the General Troubleshooting thread to post generate and post a plugin list.

Also, What version of Cubase?

And since you are having the same problem in Cubase, it is most likely not directly Pro Tools related, but something system wide; a missing update, bad memory, unsupported other software. Posting the information that has been requested will help eliminate some of the possibilities and make it much easier for us to assist you.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Avid

In the interest of improving the General Troubleshooting thread and making the most important information/instructions readily apparent, can I ask emersonrailroad how you may have missed that info and what you would suggest to make it more clear.

It seems there are more then a few who somehow overlook these very important details and, for the life of me, I can't see why or how, so I'm hoping to get some feedback on this one...
Old 10-15-2008, 04:19 PM

First of all, thank you for the time you've put into this, and I apologize for missing the instructions.
I believe that this time I have followed the instructions to the letter. To respond to the question of how I could have missed this... I printed out all the instructions and the most important part came at the bottom of the last page after a number of links, and so I just overlooked it. ...yes, overlooked it, at least 3 times.

I have, indeed, only used stock plug ins... I have not installed any plug in yet that did not come with the pro tools m-powered package. Same goes for Cubase.

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2060 @ 1.60GHz
Speed : 1.60GHz
Cores per Processor : 2 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Mobile, Dual-Core
Internal Data Cache : 2x 32kB, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 1MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 4-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

System
System : Dell Inc. MM061
Platform Compliance : Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Mainboard : Dell Inc. 0XD720
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB PCMCIA USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processor (MP) Support : No
Multi-Processor Advanced PIC (APIC) : Yes
System BIOS : Dell Inc. A12
Total Memory : 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM

Chipset
Model : Dell 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 133MHz (532MHz)
Total Memory : 2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM
Memory Bus Speed : 4x 133MHz (532MHz)

Video System
Adapter : ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (128MB, PCIe 1.00 x16, PS3.0, VS3.0)

Storage Devices
Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 80GB (SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 7MB Cache) : 75GB (C:)
WDC WD3200AAKB-00WHA0 320GB (FireWire/1394, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ) : 298GB (E:)
SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A (ATA33, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : 2kB (D:)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C:) : 75GB (NTFS) @ Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00 80GB (SATA150, 2.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 7MB Cache)
CD-ROM/DVD (D:) : N/A @ SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A (ATA33, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
Audio Drive (E:) : 298GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD3200AAKB-00WHA0 320GB (FireWire/1394, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : Dell 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : SMSC LPC v1
Audio Device : Dell 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio
Audio Codec : Sigmatel 7690h
Audio Codec : Conexant Systems HDAudio Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
Disk Controller : Dell 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller
USB Controller 1 : Dell 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : Dell 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 3 : Dell 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 4 : Dell 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 5 : Dell 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 1 : Dell R5C832 IEEE-1394 Controller
FireWire/1394 Controller 2 : Avlab Technology TSB82AA2 IEEE-1394b Link Layer Controller
System SMBus Controller 1 : Intel 801xx/63xx SMBus

Network Services

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line
Battery No 1 : 100%

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP (2002) Professional 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Platform Compliance : x86