Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM

Default Plugin Automation with Faderport

Hey guys,

I'm an idiot. I've used controllers to control volume and pan for ages, and do plugin automation all the time just drawing what I want, but apparently I've never used an external controller to create plugin automation.

As an example: I'm using FilterFreak and want to automate the frequency rolloff. Added it to automation list, open the newly created plugin automation lane and I can edit automation on the screen. I turn on write or touch automation, grab my fader port and start trying to automate the plugin setting, but cannot figure out how to get the faderport to effect anything other than the volume or pan...please help me! :-D

Thanks guys!!

Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Plugin Automation with Faderport

AFAIK the faderport only does volume and pan automation in Pro Tools...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Oh...well that would explain it! hahah...seems like you should be able to assign the fader to control anything, no? Even MIDI info (pitch bend, CCs, etc)? If it is indeed true the faderport can't do it, what can? Might be getting a Euphonix MC Mix. I'd be disappointed if I couldn't write plugin automation with it...

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 03:15 PM

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but this is my understanding on the subject.

There seems to be two different types of automation. Pro Tool's automation and Midi Controll Data (CC).

First Midi Control (CC)

Some plug-ins (such as Vacumme) allow you to assign Midi Control Data (automation) to certain knobs. I have a CME UF8 keyboard and after I right click in Vacumme on certain knobs it gives me the option to assign the next movement that I make on any of the knobs on my keyboard to that knob on the plug-in interface. Then I can control that plug-in parameter with that knob. When I go to write the automation, it appears on the appropriate CC data channel. It is important to note that this is only possible when a plug-in has been written to accept midi control data. Otherwise this automation won't be read by the plug-in. Any midi controller that sends CC data should be able to work with plug-ins designed to read this data.

Second, Pro Tools automation.

Pro Tools allows you to automate almost any parameter in any plug-in window. A quick way to activate the plug-in automation is to hold down control-option-Command. A menu will pop up that will allow you to enable automation for that parameter. If you hold down control-Command and click on that knob again, it will change the view of that track to that automation parameter so that you can adjust it. It will also show up as one of your views.

As far as I know, there is not a way to assign Pro Tools automation to control surface knobs (that aren't Digidesign Control Surfaces). Pro Tools does connect with volume, pan, send, mute and etc. with my DM3200 as a control surface, but it doesn't allow me to make one of my faders a control for a parameter outside of these. I imagine that Pro Tools specific control surfaces do give you options to assign knobs to certain parameters.

Workaround.

You could try writing the automation as volume and then transferring it to a different parameter by doing a copy,- paste special-to current automation type.

I'd love to hear if people know how to take things further than this.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Thanks Diz...

Kind of disappointing to hear that...I though we could use these control surfaces to automate anything that can be automated. Seems silly I can use a fader on volume, but not plugin automation. Sounds like MIDI control is a whole 'nother beast. I'd love to hear from anyone that has an opinion on control surfaces for these kinds of things...

Mike
Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msawitzke View Post
Thanks Diz...

Kind of disappointing to hear that...I though we could use these control surfaces to automate anything that can be automated. Seems silly I can use a fader on volume, but not plugin automation. Sounds like MIDI control is a whole 'nother beast. I'd love to hear from anyone that has an opinion on control surfaces for these kinds of things...

Mike
If all parameters were completely controllable outside of a Digidesign control surfaces, I don't know if Digidesign would sell very many of their controllers. That is the reason why Digidesign can ask 3-4 times the amount for their control surfaces and sell lots of them. The cheapest buy in for this sort of thing would be Digidesign's Command 8 ($1,150).
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM

What about the Nocturn by Novation, wouldn't this do what you want ?
Old 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM

is it still the same after 4 years? Maybe they changed that?