Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM

Default No audio output 3/4

Hi all, shot in the dark...

Running 9.06 HD, Mac OSX 10.7.5/16gb Ram. Two 192 interfaces, summing through Dangerous 2bus LT. Magma chassis for the cards.

Analog summing and I'm randomly losing audio on outputs 3/4. It doesn't happen during the session, or during the day, but sometimes I boot up the session and there is no audio on 3/4.

Tried the usual delete prefs, disk warrior, start/restart.

This is the kicker - if I can't get it back, and just plow through anyway, sometimes when I start back up in the am, the audio will be there. Without me 'fixing' anything.

Any thoughts or cues would be very appreciated!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 PM

Default Re: No audio output 3/4

Maybe you're loading another project, that has different I/O settings, and when you're loading this project, it loads "the last used I/O settings".
And if the previous project didn't have the 3-4 output assigned in the I/O , the project that have problems , don't see that output.
Try to save some I/O settings that have names, like:
I/O 5.1 , I/O double outputs
And when you are loading a project, specify if not the I/O is "the last used", but the one you knew it's the right one (used in that project).
Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 PM

When you lose audio on 3&4, does the output(on the screen) go grey(like off-line)? If so, check a couple of things. 1-open the IO setup and hit the Bus tab. Scroll down and look for 3&4(in the right-hand column) and whether it is in italics(meaning unavailable). If there is a check in the box beside it, UNcheck and see if that helps. 2-next time it happens, click on the output and see if it is selected from physical outputs, or from the Bus list. Ever since version 9, there have been some odd bus routings that PT seems to do "by itself"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM

Thanks to both of you - I/O settings are the same on every project (template), and yea, I've gone through I/O settings and looked for something italicized, nothing. Also, audio isn't greyed out in Pro Tools; if i assign a different output, it's fine. (But with the analog summing/bus comps, that's not a great solution).

Update: Sprayed the Magma chassis with Deoxit, worked yesterday. We will see what today holds :>)
Old 09-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
Update: Sprayed the Magma chassis with Deoxit, worked yesterday. We will see what today holds :>)

I would also open the 192s and reseat the cards and ribbon cables.

Another thing would to be to strip the session of all I/O assignments, trash the I/O setup and the rebuild the I/O setup and session routing from scratch.

The last thing I can think of as a possibility is that a plugin on the 3-4 bus may be dropping audio. This has been known to happen in the past.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I would also open the 192s and reseat the cards and ribbon cables.

Another thing would to be to strip the session of all I/O assignments, trash the I/O setup and the rebuild the I/O setup and session routing from scratch.

The last thing I can think of as a possibility is that a plugin on the 3-4 bus may be dropping audio. This has been known to happen in the past.
Thank you for this, I'll try all of these suggestions!