Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Default Re: HDX Latency

This seems to be a hit and miss issue. Most users are not seeing it. Those that are have not been able to offer a perfect 100% reproducible scenario. So...it's tough to rule out 3rd party plug-ins or pilot error.

And yes, it has been reported referencing this thread.

Toggling ADC off then on again has been a simple solution here for me.

Also, use Quickpunch as opposed to Normal if you feel you are experiencing ADC issues in Pre Roll while recording.

If someone can offer a 100% reproducible case, please post it here.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Same issues here.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM

Any news bout this bug ? Had it a couple of times during the last recording sessions that the "talent" told me that "there's a delay" when he/she sings/plays.

Disabling and enabling DC did not help. I had to close the session and reload it.

Then it worked for a while again - but it re-occured - mostly after record arming a different audio track.

Very bad and it kills the talent's creativity !!!
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 04-09-2014, 05:16 PM

If this happens again... Toggle the ADC off then on again. At least this is a fast fix.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-09-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
If this happens again... Toggle the ADC off then on again. At least this is a fast fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post

Disabling and enabling DC did not help. I had to close the session and reload it.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 PM

Yeah, late to the discussion here, but this has been driving me INSANE for the last year now.. To be honest, I had no idea how often this was happening, until I did a vocal session with the singer in the control room all day... It's happening literally, 60 to 70% of the time. Deactivate the track, and it's ok for a little while, and then back again. Seems that overdubbing into a complex mix with lots of delay comp, becomes a complete clusterf&@K. For example, recording an acoustic guitar with two microphones (neck - body) on grouped mono tracks, often results in one of the two channels having massive delay on 'Input'. Deactivating the tracks and reactivating seems to work about half of the time. Otherwise, close session, reboot, reopen session is the only recourse...

Totally unacceptable...
Old 04-10-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
Yeah, late to the discussion here, but this has been driving me INSANE for the last year now.. To be honest, I had no idea how often this was happening, until I did a vocal session with the singer in the control room all day... It's happening literally, 60 to 70% of the time. Deactivate the track, and it's ok for a little while, and then back again. Seems that overdubbing into a complex mix with lots of delay comp, becomes a complete clusterf&@K. For example, recording an acoustic guitar with two microphones (neck - body) on grouped mono tracks, often results in one of the two channels having massive delay on 'Input'. Deactivating the tracks and reactivating seems to work about half of the time. Otherwise, close session, reboot, reopen session is the only recourse...

Totally unacceptable...
Excellent description. I'm getting the exact same behavior here. Deactivate/Activate solves it, but only temporarily; it will resurface either on the same record track or the next record-enabled track.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post

Totally unacceptable...
Yes ! Thing is , sometimes it does it on a track and if you record on the next one ( I often prepare a lot of tracks for BVs for ex) it doesn't happen .
It's a flow and creativity killer . You have to have TRUST in your DAW .
I trusted PT but now I tend to think of the next time this is gonna happen .
A HDX2 system is supposed to be very powerful . Wasn't HDX presented as 5 times the power of Accel ?
If It can't figure out latency in the system I don't need that power .

Did any of you try different delay compensation values to see if it happened at all settings ? I use maximum but I'm gonna try other values to see if I get that bug again . The shorter value is almost useless as a lot of plugs (waves tune , Autotune , gtr amp plugs) will produce more than 1000 samples at 256 or 512 buffer . As I said before when I use shorter buffer settings I sometimes get an error message asking to increase the buffer size . I don't recall those native plugins having so much latency on my TDM rig . I'll try and compare it next week .
Old 04-15-2014, 10:11 PM

I'll just add that I've been working at an outside studio for the last two days, using an HD Native system (PT 10HD) and getting this exact same behavior. Identical to what I get at my place on HDX (PT 10HD).
Old 04-18-2014, 03:37 AM

yup a lot of folks are running into this problem, and it is totally unavoidable if you're using native plugs. and of course since many 3rd parties have abandoned AAX DSP plugs altogether we're [bleep]ed... nice.

the only thing you can do is yank your buffer down to 64 and cross your fingers...

ps - ADC on HDX is a J.O.K.E. with native plugs.