Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 AM

Default HP Desktops?

I'm new to PC with protools. I've been using it for years on mac, but I'm going to buy a PC really soon. At this point, I don't know what PC configurations work best with Protools.

I just picked up the Fry's ad today and there are a few options; a quad core AMD Phenom x4, an intel Dual Core...ect..

I'm not into building my own PCs, so I'm hoping I can just buy a pre-assembled PC.

They all have Vista installed...but I hear XP is still the way to go.

Any help on a pre-assembled PC would be great!

Hopefully with at least 4gb ramm. I plan on doing Orchestrated and Drum Sampling VST stuff.

Looking to spend around $400-600...so nothing that's super high end, but enough to do some small things on my own time when I'm away from the main studio.

Thanks!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Re: HP Desktops?

This is going to be a total crap shoot as for compatibility. You need to know what chipset is on the motherboard and that's a tough piece of info to get on a store-bought system. In the price range you are talking about, there are other issues to contend with as well. Pro Tools requires a separate hard drive for audio so you need to purchase another drive(internal is fine for this and that will keep the cost down). On-board video is popular in your price range but Pro Tools does not like it so look for a separate video card(video outs in an expansion slot). Your safest choice is probably an intel system IF you can find one that touts an intel chipset as more of them work with Pro Tools. I hate to sound like a wet blanket and maybe someone else will be able to steer you to a certain model that will work, so keep your fingers crossed.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-24-2009, 03:46 PM

Thanks for your input!

So if I did decide to spend $800+...there still isn't a pre-assembled package???
Old 04-25-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
If you are not confident in putting together your own PC, try going to a local computer shop and tell them exactly what you want, and they will build it for you and it will still be cheaper than a pre built one. Check out the PCs they have at Sweetwater.com and just buy the parts from newegg.com and ebay and have your pc shop put it together for you.
Good advice.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Your "average computer shop" has NO idea what it is we're trying to do here. If you MUST try an off-the-shelf unit, Sweetwater makes dang sure it works before they send it out. Also check with John Gibson at EAR in Phoenix, Arizona. They do this as well. But going to the corner computer shop, even specifying exactly what you need, still won't guarantee a qualified PT rig.
Don't wanna build your own? Not that much to it, and then you're good and familiar with what's going on in there. (If I can do it, ANYBODY can, and I do 'em all the time...)
Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 AM

You really should look into building your own!!! You'll learn alot, save alot, and have a lot a fun!! And maybe hit the 800.00 area,,,,,,,,, Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 04-29-2009, 01:20 AM

First of all, do the reasearch needed to decide excactly what you are looking for. This way you wount end up with something you cant use.

If your not confident in building your own system and dont know excactly what you need to run Pro Tools I would not be confident in your local computer store either, unless they have ProTools expertise.

I'd rather go to the local music store. They are more likely to have the expertise you need, and have often tested a range of pc configurations and found the one that best works with ProTools.

Alternatively you could shop your PC from one of the following Vendors:
http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/systems.php
http://www.musicxpc.com/
http://www.spectralcomputers.com/
http://www.terradigitalaudio.com/

According to Digidesign the above are vendors that build desktops/racks that are audio optimized and should work with ProTools.

http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...5&itemid=36859

Another advice, go for the best system you can afford. this way you don't have to upgrade again in two years.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Another advice, go for the best system you can afford

Good advice, as long as you read the compatibility documents first and make sure it meets Digi's criteria......