Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2020, 11:38 AM

Default HD Native Connectivity and Cabling

I'm a long-time Pro Tools user, but I'm brand new to Avid HD hardware. I've just recently purchased 2 hardware units: Avid HD 16x16, 8x8, and an HD Native Thunderbolt interface.

My questions are:

1. Do I simply only have to connect each unit individually via DigiLink cables to the HD Native interface?

2. Should one of them be connected via "Primary" port and the other via "expansion" port?

3. Is any further connectivity necessary? IE: Loop sync, etc.

I read through the manual but felt it lacked clarity in this area. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:20 PM
Avid

Default Re: HD Native Connectivity and Cabling

Greetings.

Depending on the cables you have on hand you can go a few ways:

12' DigiLink cable that comes with HDN - port 1 connect to primary on HD IO A.

If you have a shorty DigiLink - then simply connect expansion from HD IO A to primary of HD IO B.

You can also use 2 12' DigiLink cables to each IO: HDN A - HDIO A primary, HDN B - HDIO B primary. Both scenarios will work.

Lastly, use BNC cables to connect Loop Sync out of HD IO A into Loop Sync in on HD IO B out of HD IO B and into Loop Sync in on HD IO A.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-14-2020, 02:06 PM

Thank you so much for the thorough answer.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings.

Depending on the cables you have on hand you can go a few ways:

12' DigiLink cable that comes with HDN - port 1 connect to primary on HD IO A.

If you have a shorty DigiLink - then simply connect expansion from HD IO A to primary of HD IO B.

You can also use 2 12' DigiLink cables to each IO: HDN A - HDIO A primary, HDN B - HDIO B primary. Both scenarios will work.

Lastly, use BNC cables to connect Loop Sync out of HD IO A into Loop Sync in on HD IO B out of HD IO B and into Loop Sync in on HD IO A.

best,

Jeff
Ha, ha. Allow me to inject some possibly unnecessary confusion where there was none before.

Are we absolutely sure that daisy chaining through one interface to another is exactly the same as connecting each interface to its own separate card in the computer. I have a similar situation going on with some older 192 I/Os, and I read the ___ing manual and [since I could not find my second long digicable] I daisy chained them because the manual says that you gain nothing by connecting them separately.

HOWEVER, in my typical paranoid manner, I am wondering if it is really true, or would I gain one one millionth of a measurement unit advantage by connecting them separately with cables of the exact same length.

Please understand the scenario running in my head. You see, as I imagine it, I do a whole bunch of super important work [it could happen, just ask Judi Tenuto] on my rig while it is connected in the daisy chain manner. Then someone posts a long detailed thread explaining why doing that is just not quite right, causing me to have to either redo all the work [without telling anyone] or suffer the humiliation and shame of knowing that "I did it wrong". There is a third scenario where I just leave the result alone after doing it wrong, but I tell everybody that I did it the right way. But then somebody finds out and I am forced to suffer the humiliation anyway.

So...........is it really exactly the same?

As you can see, I really need help with this. :)

Best,

mightyduck
Old 07-17-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Ha, ha. Allow me to inject some possibly unnecessary confusion where there was none before.

Are we absolutely sure that daisy chaining through one interface to another is exactly the same as connecting each interface to its own separate card in the computer. I have a similar situation going on with some older 192 I/Os, and I read the ___ing manual and [since I could not find my second long digicable] I daisy chained them because the manual says that you gain nothing by connecting them separately.

HOWEVER, in my typical paranoid manner, I am wondering if it is really true, or would I gain one one millionth of a measurement unit advantage by connecting them separately with cables of the exact same length.

Please understand the scenario running in my head. You see, as I imagine it, I do a whole bunch of super important work [it could happen, just ask Judi Tenuto] on my rig while it is connected in the daisy chain manner. Then someone posts a long detailed thread explaining why doing that is just not quite right, causing me to have to either redo all the work [without telling anyone] or suffer the humiliation and shame of knowing that "I did it wrong". There is a third scenario where I just leave the result alone after doing it wrong, but I tell everybody that I did it the right way. But then somebody finds out and I am forced to suffer the humiliation anyway.
I have no idea what you are worried about... what exactly is not working right?

The Digilink aka TDM2 bus connection here is about as dumb as it is possible to design (it is ancient technology). You've got so many slots for interfaces on all those TDM2 Busses, and it makes no difference where interfaces are connected or in what chain order etc.

There is lots of stuff to worry about, lots of mistakes you might setting other stuff up right, I'd worry about those other ones.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I have no idea what you are worried about... what exactly is not working right?

The Digilink aka TDM2 bus connection here is about as dumb as it is possible to design (it is ancient technology). You've got so many slots for interfaces on all those TDM2 Busses, and it makes no difference where interfaces are connected or in what chain order etc.

There is lots of stuff to worry about, lots of mistakes you might setting other stuff up right, I'd worry about those other ones.
I refuse to worry about the other ones. I insist on obsessing on this one. So there. I demand an official AVID announcement on this issue since it is the issue that I have chosen to obsess about. : )

mightyduck