Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2013, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Is This the Date? (PT11 Release)

What is expected at this year's WWDC is being well covered by the Apple/tech blogs, etc. and upscaps pretty much summarised that.

Don't know ... with Apple being so big and the WWDC keynote address being watched by market analysts as well as 'fanboys', Tim Cook may need to fill out the segment launching a Mac Pro with some justification for its existence ... possibly mentioning/demo-ing applications like Pro Tools?

I wondered if the other stuff was in any way related to a sudden influx of 64-bit AAX launches on the day PT11 is released, and with all these things coming together, maybe PT 11 is coming sooner than the end of this quarter?!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Jack,

VSSD stands for Virtual Stock Software Distribution, and is a retail system developed and licensed by Waves. It started out for their own products but they license it for other companies that want to use it.

It is the automated system that basically allows someone to buy software and immediately receive a newly generated serial number for the product at any time of the day or night, which allows someone to buy something at any time of the day online, or allow retailers to sell stuff without actually having to actually stock physical product.

This may sound familiar because multiple companies use this system such as Toontrack, TC Electronic, Plugin Alliance, Izotope (I think) and others. But many people don't realize that they license the technology from Waves. Software companies other than music companies may also use it.

If this GC article is accurate, they are basically stating that Avid uses this system as well, which is interesting.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Drew, thanks for the 10.3.6 info, being a mac user I wasn't aware that 10.3.5 windows version isn't co-install ready.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Jack,

VSSD stands for Virtual Stock Software Distribution, and is a retail system developed and licensed by Waves. It started out for their own products but they license it for other companies that want to use it.

It is the automated system that basically allows someone to buy software and immediately receive a newly generated serial number for the product at any time of the day or night, which allows someone to buy something at any time of the day online, or allow retailers to sell stuff without actually having to actually stock physical product.

This may sound familiar because multiple companies use this system such as Toontrack, TC Electronic, Plugin Alliance, Izotope (I think) and others. But many people don't realize that they license the technology from Waves. Software companies other than music companies may also use it.

If this GC article is accurate, they are basically stating that Avid uses this system as well, which is interesting.
Thanks for the explanation. The way you describe it it sounds like a lot of companies that I deal with use it as well. NI and fxpansion operate the same way (except for the biggies like Komplete). Blue cat as well. Sounds like Waves is into a lot more than we usually think of.

QAPLA!
Old 06-08-2013, 01:24 PM

What's interesting is that if Avid uses this system, they are Waves customers in that area, yet competitors in another area (Soundgrid vs. HDX).

I guess they could be considered "Frenemies".

Maybe it's no different than Apple using Samsung as a parts supplier for their products, yet Samsung making competing products.

Waves also licenses audio technology for some consumer electronics and car audio applications, among other things.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
What is expected at this year's WWDC is being well covered by the Apple/tech blogs, etc. and upscaps pretty much summarised that.

Don't know ... with Apple being so big and the WWDC keynote address being watched by market analysts as well as 'fanboys', Tim Cook may need to fill out the segment launching a Mac Pro with some justification for its existence ... possibly mentioning/demo-ing applications like Pro Tools?

I wondered if the other stuff was in any way related to a sudden influx of 64-bit AAX launches on the day PT11 is released, and with all these things coming together, maybe PT 11 is coming sooner than the end of this quarter?!
Apple will not be demo'ing Pro Tools. Not going to happen. That would be Logic and garage band. Apple has went by more than one of these tech shows with everyone anticipating and expecting big news on this front and bloggers all claiming its going to be released, and nothing or a ridiculous update like the "refresh" of the Mac Pro. I can understand the optimism but its getting almost sad to watch time and time again.

Whether it will happen or not is unknown but trying to align it with the release of PT 11 and such is just a stretch coated w a layer of hope and tears!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 PM

iRadio will be announced.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 PM

Heck with the ilok site being down probably sooner than later

Which by the way sucks man had a buyer for my ProTools 10 and my 003 rack this weekend and they had to take it down unbelievable

Unglaüblich
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Heck with the ilok site being down probably sooner than later

Which by the way sucks man had a buyer for my ProTools 10 and my 003 rack this weekend and they had to take it down unbelievable

Unglaüblich
It was obviously a conspiracy aimed directly at you!!!!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
It was obviously a conspiracy aimed directly at you!!!!!
I know of all the weekends they had to upgrade it's the weekend that I looked like I was gonna get some money back
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.