Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-16-2003, 09:14 AM

Default what firewire drive to buy?

What do you all recommend for an external firewire drive to run sessions on with my mac? Also, where did you buy?
thanks,

Frank Egan
Sounds Easy Studios
Old 12-16-2003, 09:19 AM

Default Re: what firewire drive to buy?

I forgot to mention, any drives that are especially quiet would be much appreciated!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:22 AM

I'm happy w/ LaCie d2 FWIW.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:24 AM

I too like the LaCie D2s. I have a bunch of them.

J
Old 12-16-2003, 09:47 AM

Try one of these:

Argosy / Western Digital 120 GB/8MB Buffer
Bytecc / Western Digital 120GB/8MB Buffer

They both use the Oxford 911 chipset for the firewire portion. Excellent prices too. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better price at this point. They use aluminum cases for heat extraction from the hard drive, so there are no fans to make extra noise. These drives also have the JB (jumbo buffer) which will give you a little better performance.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:08 PM

After looking into this further it looks like the company that sells these, pcmicrostore.com, has a bunch of these cases with different chipsets inside. Apparently the assembled drive they advertise uses a "Prolific" chipset but you can buy the case separately and it "might" have an Oxford 911 chipset. Some of the cases that are sold separately with the exact same model number as their "combo" drive use the Oxford 911 chipset and some of them don't. They don't know which ones do and don't and said they weren't about to open up each case to see. The Prolific chipset is newer than the Oxford 911 and might work just fine, but I haven't tried it and digidesign specifically says "Oxford 911". I don't think they have tested any other firewire drives since the Oxford 911 was approved.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:41 PM

Granite Digital. Always were the best. Always will be.

What's your data worth?

http://www.granitedigital.com/

weibetech doesn't suck either, though I've heard that their customer support isn't always up to par:

http://www.wiebetech.com/
Old 12-16-2003, 02:42 PM

Since you want to record on these, not just back-up data, make sure you get a FW 800 enclosure ( 139b ) -And the IBM 120 drives are still pretty much king. The WD caviar drives are also good, but most field-reports favor the IBM's for Protools audio.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:08 PM

I've have the La Cie d2s and Granite Digital. Both work very well. The La Cie works almost as well as my Fibredrive! My only complaint with the Granite is I have the removable drives and carrier, and at times I can't get the removable drive to go in the slot. When attempting to load the drive into the receiver for whatever reason the mechanical parts wouldn't line up, making it impossible to get in in all the way. Thankfully, the next day it did, but I have no idea why.

Whatever you do, spend you money on a drive with solid connectors for the firewire cable. The cheaper drives have very flimsy connectors and I've had drives that won't mount or want to be reformatted. In desparation, I pulled the drive out an put it in one of the Granite receivers and it worked perfectly. This is a problem I've never had with Granite or La Cie.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:43 PM

We're using IceCube boxes with 120 GB (8MB cache) Maxtors inside. Never had a problem. Playing back 50 tracks, heaavily edited.
Branko