Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-25-2001, 11:57 PM

Default New Pro Tools System! Need Help Bad!

Peace & Blessings,

I have a small project studio & I just received a major upgrade. I am running a Pentium III PC with ACID Pro 3.0, Sound Forge 5.0, Samplitude Producer 2496 & Waves Plug-Ins. My soundcard is ECHO Mia 24/96. I lock everything together using a MIDIMAN BiPort 2X4s. I have a SP1200 sampling drum machine locked to samplitude & I have a Audio Technica $30.00 mic running through a sound blaster card. Now this small combination has held me down for the last 6 months. I have done majority of my projects with this set up. After the umteen crashes & all the downtime GOD has blessed me with a set up that I know jack **** about technically.

The "NEW" set up I have NOW is a graphite G4 Mac, 21" monitor, Pro Tools Mix system it came with the Mix Core & Mix Farm card. I have a ATTO scsi card, MOTU Midi Time Piece, 1622 Interface, 888/24 Interface, Avolon 737 SP, Nuemann 147 Microphone, Triton 88 key Pro keyboard, EMU Mo Phat, Alesis MasterLink recorder, A pair of Behrringer TRUTH monitors using monster cable.

First I would like to say is that I am New to the Mac platform. The Mac has always been a big dream to me. It does not operate like a Windows PC so in simple words "I AM LOST" & full of anticipation. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I managed to install the Pro Tools Interfaces and SCSI card. I installed the 888/24 & 1622. I hooked the MOTU MTP up. I installed OMS. I played the audio demo that I heard rocking on my digi 001 video tape. The system sounded ok.
The problems: a) I could not record anything.
b) I could not get the Mac to recognize the MTP. At least when I checked OMS the MTP did not show up in the menu.
c) I hooked the word clocks up like this. word clock sync out from the MTP to the word clock sync in of the 888 then from the out to the word clock sync out of the 1622.
I also have a behrringer line mixer which the the audio from all my devices are hooked into. I ran audio from the stereo out of the mixer to the 888 but I did not see the meters jump. I open a new project in pro tools consisting of 8 tracks but I could not record if my life depended on it. I see that Pro Tools do not operate like Samplitude. So of course I had to settle for playing with the demo for now. I attempted to uninstall Pro Tools thinking I may have installed the thing wrong. I am having major trouble with the MOTU MTP this is the piece that locks the whole studio together. I downloaded the drivers from MOTU website but like I said before I do not know the mac so I do not have a clue to what the hell is going on as far as if I installed the system correctly. As you can see I went from a Volkswagon Beetle straight to a Ferrari & I'm pretty much stuck. I don't know if the mac is harder to operate than a PC or if I'm just used to doing things the hard way and the mac is so easy that I'm looking at the system as if it is a PC and making the **** difficult. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] I hope I explained the situation clear enough but I'm trying. I have been praying to be saved from the PC madness and I have. I am so anxious to rock this **** . Somebody please "HELP" me out! I'm dieing to rock. For God's sake I'm trying to make some Hip-Hop beats. I have albums I'm ready to record. I have all the tools. Let's Do This. I am so happy that I can now say I am part of the Lion's Pride.

Hollar Back! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BaRaq' of Wizdom Touch Productions, Inc. www.wizdomtouch.com
Old 12-26-2001, 04:48 AM

Default Re: New Pro Tools System! Need Help Bad!

Let me see...you have a pretty common setup, so it should not be so hard to get this going.

1. OMS. You did not mention the way your MidiTimePiece (must be an AV) is connected to your Mac. The two options are USB or via Apple Serial Cable (RS422). That one looks a little like a PS/2 connector only with more pins in it. That can be connected to a GeeThree Stealth Port that can be installed to replace the internal Modem of your G4.

Anyway, the installation of OMS works the same. You install OMS from the OMS Installer on the ProTools CD. The installer will install the "Open Music System" to the extensions-folder in your MacOS 9.x System Folder.
It will also install a folder called OMS Folder. That one holds the drivers for various Midi-Interfaces.

The only connection the MidiTimePiece AV needs for correct installation of the software is the connection between the MTP and you Mac. (And power, of course) No wordclock stuff needed, no ProTools stuff needed. You also do not need to install MOTU´s FreeMidi, this is only needed to create or edit Midi-routing and to create new Setups for the MTP .

Next is running the OMS-Setup.
If Setup fails to detect your MidiTimePiece and you cannot select it manually I recommend to call the digi-hotline. If Setup detects your MTP you need to add Midi-Devices to the 8 in/out ports of the MTP. (go to the menu STUDIO/Add Device Per Port)

If you´re done, save that setup. OMS will load that setup when started.

2. Connection of your Interfaces and MTP AV.
Unless you want to use the syncronizer of the MTP AV i recommend to use the 888/24 as wordclock master.
You only need to run a short cable from the "slave clock out" of the 888/24 to the "slave clock in" of the 1622.
The 888/24 must be connected the first digi-card in your setup (Mix Core) and the 1622 to the second card (Mix Farm). You can use the "Wordclock out" on the 888/24 to run a wordclock to your Alesis Masterlink if desired.

If you start ProTools, first go to the Menu MIDI/Input Devices... and check all desired inputs. This is mandatory!

Now you should be able to receive Midi if you create a new Midi-Track, choose the right input and press the "rec"-button.

3. To record audio first check the following: go to menu Setups/I/O Setup...
Now go to "Input" and press the button "Default", go to "Output" and press Default, etc... Exit with "OK".

Now you should be able to record audio and midi. Hope that helps, if you have any questions email me: toby@tobymusic.com

tobias
Old 12-26-2001, 05:39 AM

so if it's a usb-version of the miditimepiece you should first install oms and then the motu-usb-driver that should be found on the cd coming with mtp. you don't need clockworks but as far as I remember the usb-driver only gets installed with freemidi. so install it and right afterwards disable the free-midi-extensions. (do a reboot after that) be sure to have the motu-usb-extension enabled because otherwise oms won't recognize it.

try to search the knowledge-base on http://www.motu.com - they have some good hints there.
Old 12-26-2001, 07:07 AM

Welcome to the Pro Tools gang!
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 12-27-2001, 11:18 PM

obsolete MIDI driver technology......

....when Digi, oh when??? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2001, 05:39 AM

Like I said before I am new to the Mac OS so pretty much I have to learn where everything is. I notice a significant difference in a lot of things. First thing I notice was I no longer have to go to my My Computer, Windows explorer, Crashes!. However I was able to record a 5 track piece. I was able to record on track one but when I armed track two I didn't get any sound so I made a new track and draged track one to track 2. I had the Triton plugged into the front of the Avolon switched to instrument and armed track 1 and hit record. I got so pumped I forgot the first procedure. The Avolon was plugged into Input 1 of the 888. In my first attempt I tried to record from the 1622 but was unable to tell Pro Tools to record from the 1622. I went to hardware and tried to configure the thing and basically had no sucess.

Question: How do you tell track 2, 3, etc., to record from input 1?

Do I have to reconnect the Avolon to Input 2?

I noticed that Pro Tools Mix only come with Audio Suite Plug-Ins, is this all the Plug-Ins that come with this system?

I know that the Audio Suite plug-ins are file base but do any of these plug-ins work on the DSP chips? I really want to use a DSP chip! After Direct X hell you should understand the anticipation. I am talking about being able to run a decent amount of plug-ins without the computer crashing from CPU overload.

I have some plug-in disk called Woofie & Tweetie and Something called D-Verb. Do these plug-ins cost money or are they mine to keep without having to pay more money?

Can I open a Pro Tools Free (windows) session on My Mix system?

I have the Avolon 737 sp and a Nuemann 147! I need to know if anybody is using that piece of kit? My problem: I recorded a vocal track using this formula. 147 mic straight to the Avolon, then a balanced out to input 1 of the 888. You know! Direct to tape method just like I seen it in the studio but my recording wasn't that great. It had flavor far as clarity and fullness compared to my soundblaster and thirty dollar mic but for the new components are concerned they're not right. It sounded kind of cheesey. Isn't the 147 suppose to be a modern day version of the U47? Anybody have and advice for vocal settings on this thing? I basically tweaked the pre-amp as the vocal was performed but the signal sounded harsh.

I did not get around to the MTP yet. My main concern was to record first so that I can get the feel of the new system.

Any suggestions on Plug-ins for my system. I am a Hip-Hop Producer. I am currently working on an Album. I never thought I'd be using TDM plug-ins. It was all dream and a expensive one at that. The plug-ins are expensive so please suggest a couple of nice ones. I am on a tight budget.

Peace

BaRaq'

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2001, 11:40 AM

seems to me you hit the nail on the head when you said you hooked up the Word Clock out on the MTP to the Woed Clock in on the 888.......the 888 only has a superclock in not Word Clock....different animal.....you need to use SuperClock.........hope this helps, if I misunderstood please disregard....
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 12-28-2001, 07:21 PM

Hi Baraq',

It seems you are really lost here. Never mind, we all had to learn sometimes.

To cover all your problems, it would take days to explain, but I'll do my best to walk you through some show-stoppers right now.

1) The MOTU MTP

I have the same unit, and was a Windoze convert too, so don't feel too bad.
Here's what I found in the digidesign answerbase - it helped:

The first part of configuring this scenario is proper installation of OMS and FreeMidi. If you have installed FreeMidi before installing OMS, then you will have to trash the following items and reinstall OMS and FreeMidi in the proper order (Make sure Clockworks is not launched through the entire process):

From the Hard Drive root level:
OMS Application folder (in the Opcode Folder)
FreeMidi Applications Folder

From the System Folder:
FreeMidi Folder
OMS Folder

From the Preferences Folder:
FreeMidi Preferences
FreeMidi Setup Preferences

From the Extensions Folder:
FreeMidi SoftSynth Extension
FreeMidi PowerPlug Extension
FreeMidi System Extension
MOTU USB Driver
Open Music System Extension
USB OMS MIDI Driver

*Empty the trash and first run the OMS 2.3.8 installer and restart (this must be done first since FreeMidi needs to update OMS).
*Next, run the FreeMidi 1.4x installer (this updates OMS and puts the necessary files (4) in the newly created OMS folder in the System folder) and restart.
*Immediately launch the FreeMidi application and click "use OMS" in the first alert box. In this configuration, your FreeMidi setup application mirrors the OMS studio setup. All configuring and editing of your MIDI devices needs to be performed within OMS.
*When you search for ?MIDI Cards and Interfaces? in OMS (if you are configuring a USB equipped interface, deselect both Printer and Modem Port checkboxes) from the Studio pull-down menu, the MIDI TimePiece AV should be recognized as such (instead of the generic MIDI TimePiece or Standard MIDI Interface drivers).
*Lastly, open the Edit>Preferences window in OMS and be sure to disable the ?Use Apple Serial DMA When Available? check box. Save the setup and quit OMS.

2) The clocking

Although the MTP can generate SuperClock (which is what the digidesign units need), I'd leave that alone for now, and focus on the basics. For now, clock the 1622 from the 888 (888 as a master). This should be described in the manual.

3) The recording

You'll have to assign the right input to the track in order to be able to record something. Open the mix window (In the Menu Bar: Windows|Show Mix or Command (the "Apple Key") + "=". Now you'll see the channel strips for each track. The 11th "combo box" (windoze terminology I know [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]) from the top is where you assign the input. You'll also need to assign the output. It's the box just below. This should get you at least started.

But what really would help, is 1) reading the manual, 2) reading it again while sitting next to your PT rig and after that 3) finding a PT savvy person in your neighbourhood who can teach you the ins and outs.

It seems you're missing some fundamental basic knowledge about PT that you need to fill in first. I'd recommend getting used to the system first before starting a serious project under time pressure.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers
Arthur
Old 12-28-2001, 08:59 PM

Plan B you have the patience of a teacher...maybe your calling is changing....peace to you...john
lynx AES16e-SRC & Aurora 16
Artist Transport & iPad - Pro |Control - EuCon 3.7 (older Euphonix Branded MC Transport)
Old 12-29-2001, 05:58 AM

Thanks John,
I only wish I had the same patience in the studio, when the vocalist is flat again and the A&R walks in and the first thing he asks is: "OK, this rig got autotune on it, right? So fix it, cause that guy can dance and looks good, who cares about a voice?" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Ok, maybe I'm becoming an old fart...

Cheers and all the best for 2002

Arthur