Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Default USB midi not working with PT10 or PT11

So I have
PT10.3.9
PT11.3
Mbox pro running the latest firmware (forget number but it's from 12/17)
Macbook Pro running Yosemite
2.2Ghz Intel Core i7
8gb ddr3 ram 1333mhz
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 mb
Midi is a Novation Impulse 49
Automap 4.8

I only use PT10 because that is where all my plug-ins are. However in testing, the problem occurs in both 10 & 11.

So someone sent me a .ptx file to work on for them on PT10. After that I can no longer use my USB midi keyboard. At the time I was on Mavericks & before that file, everything worked great.

The way my inputs & outputs were set before, I could create a track, have the input set to "no input" & the output set to "output 1,2." Use xpand2, arm the track, play my midi, & everything worked. I heard the instrument, it recorded midi, all was well.

Since then, when I go to arm the track, it tells me "You cannot record enable this track because you do not have an active input & output selected" That is not verbatim, but pretty close to it.

I have searched but not found anyone with the same problem of a bus powered USB midi device no longer working. There is no meter movement, nothing. PT is not seeing the midi device at all.

Logic sees it fine, but I prefer to work in PT.

I upgraded to Yosemite because I have seen PT10 working exactly as it's supposed to on Yosemite, & because I was hoping that would solve the problem.

I went back to my inputs & outputs & set them to default, which is how they were before. My setup is very simple. To Yamaha HS8's plugged into output 1,2 of the Mbox Pro, Mbox pro connected via firewire to the macbook pro. When I installed PT initially I didn't need to mess with the I/O settings at all, it just worked. USB midi & all.

But ever since I got that file, USB midi does not work in PT. That is the singular thing that changed all this. I didn't update PT, Automap, OS...anything. Any changes that I have made have been post USB problems in order to try & fix it.

I am stubborn & would not come here asking for help if I were not out of options. But for the life of me I can't get PT to see that USB midi input.

I don't know if my Mbox pro is old or what but in looking at the manuals for it on line, it says there are two midi inputs. Not on mine there isn't, at least not typical ones. There is like a 14 pin (est) VGA type connector that says word clock above it & underneath it says midi spdif.

Does anyone, have any ideas on what is going on here? Or has anyone had the same problem & know how to remedy it? It has been about 6 weeks since I have been able to compose in PT. & while I think Logic 10 is a powerhouse (especially for the price) I really just prefer PT.

If there was any info I left out I will add it promptly. Thanks to all who can even give me any direction as to where I should look to fix this problem. It's different than all the answers I've researched as my problem applies specifically to a USB midi. & I never had to set my input to anything besides "no input" before & I never got that message & everything worked great.

Afraid if I remove PT & reinstall I'm going to have problems with my plugins. Should I not be concerned about that & just remove & reinstall? Or is there a setting somewhere I'm just not understanding?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Default Re: USB midi not working with PT10 or PT11

While others are reporting success, co-install is not approved with the following OS.

"Pro Tools 11.x co-install with Pro Tools 10.x is only supported using Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:42 PM

Are you creating an instrument track? or an audio track? I'm not trying to be condescending, I just know that sometimes if I've been working and am tired, I can make funny repeatable mistakes.

Have you trashed preferences/databases, did disk repair and full reboot?

If it's not working, clone your system, test it, and try again...or just go back to the clone of your working system. If you're not doing clones and backups, then consider this a lesson learned the hard way.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-28-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Are you creating an instrument track? or an audio track?

It doesn't work with either one.

I'm not trying to be condescending, I just know that sometimes if I've been working and am tired, I can make funny repeatable mistakes.

I will take all the condescension people can dish out if it will help me. For what it's worth, you didn't come off as condescending at all.

Have you trashed preferences/databases, did disk repair and full reboot?

Disk repair yes, full reboot yes. Afraid if I do the former I'm going to lose plug in info. Should I not be worried about that? I've read how to do it in my research but found it did not help a lot of people with a somewhat similar problem. But willing to try it at this point.

If it's not working, clone your system, test it, and try again...or just go back to the clone of your working system. If you're not doing clones and backups, then consider this a lesson learned the hard way.

Tried that already. I back up constantly with time machine. I learned that lesson the hard way a loonnggg time ago
@ Parker - I've had them as a dual install the entire time I've owned them & never had a problem. From Snow Leopard (I think, hard to remember) on up. However, that gives me at least something else I can try. If removing PT11 will help, I will try that.

I would love to be able to use 11. PT11 is fantastic, but I don't make the kind of money doing this where I can afford to repurchase many of the plug-ins I use constantly that no longer work in 11. I know this has been brought up before. I'd like to keep this on topic. My point is I pretty much keep 11 around in the hopes that at some point the heavens will open up & grant me permission to use all my plug-ins. But in reality, I don't really have a reason to have both on my system anyway. So I will try removing it.

Thanks so much for the help. Any other thoughts or ideas, sarcastic, condescending or otherwise, throw em at me.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:12 PM

If you are using 10 and have AAX plugins then those are shared in 11. While you are quick to blame ProTools for the midi issue I see the OS change as the problem. You said it was working with Mavericks but not Yosemite. Changing OS is not to be done lightly nor immediately.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM

Default USB midi not working with PT10 or PT11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Junk View Post
@ Parker - I've had them as a dual install the entire time I've owned them & never had a problem. From Snow Leopard (I think, hard to remember) on up. However, that gives me at least something else I can try. If removing PT11 will help, I will try that.

I would love to be able to use 11. PT11 is fantastic, but I don't make the kind of money doing this where I can afford to repurchase many of the plug-ins I use constantly that no longer work in 11. I know this has been brought up before. I'd like to keep this on topic. My point is I pretty much keep 11 around in the hopes that at some point the heavens will open up & grant me permission to use all my plug-ins. But in reality, I don't really have a reason to have both on my system anyway. So I will try removing it.

Thanks so much for the help. Any other thoughts or ideas, sarcastic, condescending or otherwise, throw em at me.

If you search around on here there is a handy app that will delete the Pref/Databases for you. It's Pref/Database helper, I can't remember which forum it's in, but it's a sticky at the top of one of these.

Did you just 'upgrade' over your current OS? or did you do a clean install? That can cause all kinds of problems.

Pref helper post:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2054400
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 12-28-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
If you are using 10 and have AAX plugins then those are shared in 11. While you are quick to blame ProTools for the midi issue I see the OS change as the problem. You said it was working with Mavericks but not Yosemite. Changing OS is not to be done lightly nor immediately.
If you are using 10 and have AAX plugins then those are shared in 11.

Nope...PT 10 uses AAX 32-bit plugins...PT 11 uses AAX 64-bit plugins...

Not the same plugins, not the same location...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-28-2014, 05:43 PM

AAX plugins are in one location on Mac, 32 and 64.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:47 PM

In all honesty, with all the fiddling you've done...your time would be better spent doing a clone and starting from scratch on a fresh drive. Chances are something, somewhere got corrupt and is causing problems. Clone the system wipe it and start clean, install Yosemite, install protools (no 3rd party plugs) and test it. Better yet, get a USB 3 drive and do it on there, once you know it works, wipe your system drive after you clone it.

Updating OS's is never something that goes smoothly, be it Mac or PC. I still have studio PC's that run XP because that's what works! If it ain't broke don't fix it!
Old 12-28-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
AAX plugins are in one location on Mac, 32 and 64.
My mistake...Windows uses two different folders...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh