How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Default Required software for Eleven Rack

Hi all -

I'm purchasing a used Eleven Rack that does not include PT, but does have the expansion pack preinstalled.

What software would be required to be able to edit rigs on my computer? What's the oldest version of ProTools I can acquire that would be compatible, and are there any plugins that need to be purchased?

Since I am a longtime Logic user, My plan is to set up an older, unused macbook just to run PT and edit rigs. I'm just not sure EXACTLY what I need to do it.

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2013, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Required software for Eleven Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvining View Post
Hi all -

I'm purchasing a used Eleven Rack that does not include PT, but does have the expansion pack preinstalled.

What software would be required to be able to edit rigs on my computer? What's the oldest version of ProTools I can acquire that would be compatible, and are there any plugins that need to be purchased?

Since I am a longtime Logic user, My plan is to set up an older, unused macbook just to run PT and edit rigs. I'm just not sure EXACTLY what I need to do it.

Thanks!
Currently you need a version of Pro Tools 8 LE, 9 or 10 to edit using the GUI. That might change in future if Avid does a stand alone editor... but don't hold your breath. If you don't also want to use Pro Tools then just live with using the Eleven Rack front panel, its very easy to use. And the Eleven Rack works fine as an interface in Logic Pro without any of this being needed.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Currently you need a version of Pro Tools 8 LE, 9 or 10 to edit using the GUI. That might change in future if Avid does a stand alone editor... but don't hold your breath. If you don't also want to use Pro Tools then just live with using the Eleven Rack front panel, its very easy to use. And the Eleven Rack works fine as an interface in Logic Pro without any of this being needed.
Right, So is there a plugin I also need to get as well for Pro Tools?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:58 AM

you can get an 8le copy for under $50 on ebay,but if what you need is just uploading/downloading presets (wich u can find plenty at elevenrackpresets.com forum or on Benoni's blog) then u can google for elevenhack wich is an usermade program that let you download/upload presets. welcome to the orange side :)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 AM

Why would you go through the PITA of setting up Pro Tools just to edit rigs. The only Pro Tools you can buy from Avid now is Pro Tools 11, it comes with 10 that has the GUI pre-built in and will cost you around $600 to $700. If you find an old Pro Tools 8 LE version for sale you will need to add the GUI plugins.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christophersad View Post
you can get an 8le copy for under $50 on ebay,but if what you need is just uploading/downloading presets (wich u can find plenty at elevenrackpresets.com forum or on Benoni's blog) then u can google for elevenhack wich is an usermade program that let you download/upload presets. welcome to the orange side :)
Ok - Thats good to know. Maybe I won't need to deal with PT after all.

But if I go the PT8 route - then no other software is needed?

Just PT8 and the Eleven Rack drivers from Avid and that's all I need?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Why would you go through the PITA of setting up Pro Tools just to edit rigs. The only Pro Tools you can buy from Avid now is Pro Tools 11, it comes with 10 that has the GUI pre-built in and will cost you around $600 to $700. If you find an old Pro Tools 8 LE version for sale you will need to add the GUI plugins.
If I can do it with PTLE8 then it's worth it.

If I have to use 10/11 then it's not.

I just watched a video on youtube of some guy that had it running on PT8 with no problem - all he did was install the latest driver. So I guess that is actually all that is needed.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Is the OS you want to run on compatible with Pro Tools 8 LE?

There is a fair amount of dicking around involved here for little benefit. Just get started and learn how to use the Eleven Rack front panel.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Is the OS you want to run on compatible with Pro Tools 8 LE?

There is a fair amount of dicking around involved here for little benefit. Just get started and learn how to use the Eleven Rack front panel.

Funny, I was just reading that 8 won't run on any OSs that I currently run.

This is definitely starting to sound not worth it. Looks like standalone and ElevenHack are the way to go.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
Funny, I was just reading that 8 won't run on any OSs that I currently run.
And these operating systems are...???