Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Default upgrade help needed please

I hope this is in the right place here, if not apologies.

OK I run PT 8.02 with Mbox2 pro on an iMac 3.4 ghz Intelcore I7 8GB OSX 10.7.5

I need to do updates on this computer as its also my work computer but am told my PT with not work if i do. I dont want to upgrade my PT to 10 or 11 or anything like that

IM not an expert on this so all help will be appreciated.

1. Can i partition the hard drive and upgrade half of it for example and keep the other half for this?

IF not

2. my other option is to buy a mac mini and run PT solely on that will that work ? if so what year/model etc do i need ?

many thanks in advance for your help
Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 AM

Default Re: upgrade help needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdi View Post
I hope this is in the right place here, if not apologies.

OK I run PT 8.02 with Mbox2 pro on an iMac 3.4 ghz Intelcore I7 8GB OSX 10.7.5

I need to do updates on this computer as its also my work computer but am told my PT with not work if i do. I dont want to upgrade my PT to 10 or 11 or anything like that

IM not an expert on this so all help will be appreciated.

1. Can i partition the hard drive and upgrade half of it for example and keep the other half for this?

IF not

2. my other option is to buy a mac mini and run PT solely on that will that work ? if so what year/model etc do i need ?

many thanks in advance for your help
Depending on the size of your system drive you can partition it using OSX disk utility. Super easy if you follow the directions and you don't have to sweat losing data. I did it on my iMac; I have the feeling we may have the same basic machine. It's a refurb from the Apple Store and because of when I got it they sent it with OSX 10.8.5 but originally it would have had OSX 10.7.x which is what you have. I have OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.9.5 and at one time actually had a third partition for OSX 10.10.2.

Your option 2 won't help you because unless you buy a used Mini you're going to get an OSX that won't work with your PT8. Is there any way that you could go the Mini route and use that as your work computer? That would allow you to keep your iMac machine for PT work.

QAPLA!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Depending on the size of your system drive you can partition it using OSX disk utility. Super easy if you follow the directions and you don't have to sweat losing data. I did it on my iMac; I have the feeling we may have the same basic machine. It's a refurb from the Apple Store and because of when I got it they sent it with OSX 10.8.5 but originally it would have had OSX 10.7.x which is what you have. I have OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.9.5 and at one time actually had a third partition for OSX 10.10.2.
Is the system drive the hard drive? its a 1TB machine, i actually keep very little on the machine itself. Will it affect the amount of RAM available?

Quote:
Your option 2 won't help you because unless you buy a used Mini you're going to get an OSX that won't work with your PT8. Is there any way that you could go the Mini route and use that as your work computer? That would allow you to keep your iMac machine for PT work.
Im trying to justify the expenditure. It would probably make more sense for me to get a laptop
Old 01-21-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Is the system drive the hard drive? its a 1TB machine, i actually keep very little on the machine itself. Will it affect the amount of RAM available?

The hard drive space and partition has no effect on the amount of RAM available.

Im trying to justify the expenditure. It would probably make more sense for me to get a laptop
The same principle applies. Any newer machine will probably have an updated OS which will not work with Protools 8. As suggested, perhaps keep Protools on your current machine with the older OS and get a newer machine with a newer OS for your other work applications.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-21-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:

Your system drive could be a hard drive (spinner) or even an ssd. With a 1 terabyte drive you'll have enough room to partition it into two 500 GB sections with separate OSX versions on each. What you want to keep on each partition are the programs you use; data can go on a separate drive.

The amount of ram isn't affected as you can only run one partition at a time which would have access to the full amount of ram.

As to expense that depends on what you're looking at for a laptop. Mac or PC?

QAPLA!
Old 01-22-2017, 12:48 AM

If the new computer comes with more current operating system, it is a no-go to keep the old system in a different partition. Apple does not back-port drivers and such to older operating systems (10.7.5 would need an update) so you just cannot use it.

So if you get a new computer, you will also need to buy PT12
Old 01-22-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Your system drive could be a hard drive (spinner) or even an ssd.
How would i find out?

Quote:
With a 1 terabyte drive you'll have enough room to partition it into two 500 GB sections with separate OSX versions on each. What you want to keep on each partition are the programs you use; data can go on a separate drive.
How would you determine what goes on each partition?
Would i have to reinstall PT8?

Quote:
As to expense that depends on what you're looking at for a laptop. Mac or PC?
I trying to justify an expense i probably don't need at the moment so partitioning is how ill go
Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If the new computer comes with more current operating system, it is a no-go to keep the old system in a different partition. Apple does not back-port drivers and such to older operating systems (10.7.5 would need an update) so you just cannot use it.

So if you get a new computer, you will also need to buy PT12
ill stick to this and partition i think
Old 01-27-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
ill stick to this and partition i think

I must agree to this.