Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Don't lock yourself into Logic; take a look at MOTU's Digital Performer 9
Opinions do vary...
Old 01-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 8 compatible with current mac OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Opinions do vary...
True; it's just that when people think of alternative daw s/w on a Mac they reflexively go to Logic. Other than that I stand by what I wrote about DP.

QAPLA!
Old 02-05-2017, 04:31 PM

Hi all, looked into performer 9 - same cost problems as PT but looks good! Taking cost into consideration (And after watching this https://youtu.be/1JQ1XffmCdQ) downloaded garageband to learn on whilst I save up for logic pro X. Although....as soon as I'd finished downloading the massive 20gb of loops my new (but old) mac gave up the ghost! Tried all kinds if work around and after the extremely helpful apple employee couldn't help over the phone I have a genius appointment Tuesday. The struggle continues!
As for interfaces I really love the focusrite Scarlett range and they get very high scores consistently in reviews. Have also been looking at Rolands quad capture range and their new rubix range but less information available. I will get back to recording soon hopefully! Thanks again for your help and support duc!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan W View Post
Hi all, looked into performer 9 - same cost problems as PT but looks good!
DP9 is nowheres as expensive as PT. MOTU has a generous crossgrade policy that lowers the price to $395 US from a full-on $495 US.

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
downloaded garageband to learn
Great idea imo.
Garageband has become a serious little DAW by the time and depending on your needs you even can do serious things with the latest versions of it for sure.

Quote:
I save up for logic pro X.
Yet another great idea imo.
They seem to go the right direction with Logic and no other DAW offers that much for the price as for audio quality, compatibility, update/upgrade policy and last but not least as for what you will get for the money in regards to instruments, plugins, loops etc. Fantastic (free) update as for workflow (new GUI), stability and overall quality as well as additional new stuff again about a week ago.

They probably will never reach this grand level of pure audio quality and this super logical workflow Pro Tools does offer however Logic is developing strongly indeed. Watch out Avid!

And, yes, of course there are other interesting options as for DAWs out there today as well. I have used many of them myself already but especially when it comes to what you get for the money in the long run no other option can keep pace with Logic finally. It´s a really good deal for the user imo.

Still we all love our Pro Tools of course and we never want to miss this high end audio quality and this simple yet great workflow. No doubt about that.

Quote:
As for interfaces I really love the focusrite Scarlett range and they get very high scores consistently in reviews. Have also been looking at Rolands quad capture range and their new rubix range!
If you do not need more than 2 mics/inputs at a time just go for a Class Compliant audio interface from which manufacturer ever. Makes life a lot easier in the long run as you never will struggle with drivers or software stuff.

Quote:
my new (but old) mac gave up the ghost!ed all kinds if work around and after the extremely helpful apple employee couldn't help over the phone I have a genius appointment Tuesday. The struggle continues!
Sorry to hear that.
You may consider replacing your internal drive with a new one as well as putting in new memory given the motherboard/graphics unit of your MBP still is ok.
Old drives and old memory often can cause problems on being heavily loaded.
If your MBP will be working well in general (and there is no hardware problem) I would highly recommend to replace your internal drive with such a one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Dig...ital+Black+2.5
and these memory bars
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Komputerbay...600+DDR3+SDRAM

and to perform a clean install of your whole system!
Make sure you get an installer disk/USB drive for your macOS before starting the clean install.
Put on only the programs and stuff you really need and install the latest version of Garageband again and you should be good to go under normal circumstances.

Anyway. The best of success to you.