How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2015, 11:24 PM

Default Why PT12 might be very similar to PT11

I do not know PT very well.

However I so know media composer and we had a very similar experience transitioning to subscription model in MC

Firstly MC8 (subscription) was identical to MC7

Sensible move by Avid as it meant they were only seeing issues relating to new licensing.

They then started releasing new versions with many improvements (currently 8.3.1).

We had a deadline (31/12/14) to pony up the upgrade from previous versions to the new annual support/upgrades license. This did get pushed back a bit but now there is no upgrade from previous versions - you'd have to pay full price.

Having paid to upgrade in December I get all releases for 12 months and get to choose whether to pay to keep my license current for another year. If not my perpetual license will be locked at whatever version has been released at that time.

If I do let it lapse (or don't own an MC license) AND I need a later version then I will have 2 choices, either to pay the big fee to get back on the annual support/release package (where I get a perpetual license) or pay a rental (where you only have the license for the period of the rental)

For me this is all better than the Adobe rental (which I also have) as there is a perpetual license available.

In short, before the PT deadline to upgrade expires, I'm sure there will be PT12 releases with features to tempt folks to part with the cash. Those that don't will still have whatever version of PT they bought, they just won't have an upgrade path.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Why PT12 might be very similar to PT11

As a MC user, I agree. But this explanation does not allow for the whining and crying that accompanies PT 12 threads.