Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-16-2004, 08:59 PM

Default The Definitive PT 6.4 Bug List

Hello,

I usually start a new post when I find a bug or erradic behavior in Protools. But there are sooo many of them lately that it seems like like Im posting something new everyday. And then Im always going into a rant because I find them at the worst possible times and it drives me crazy. Maybe we can all post things we are finding, and maybe some of them will be user error or someone could offer a fix or workaround.

I think this should also include OSX issues as well cuz a few of the things Im finding I think are PT/OSX interactions. Also, if a topic has been discussed already, a simple synopsis of the behavior and a link to the main post would suffice i think. Finally, it would be great for people to reply that that have seen similar behavior or have not to weed out system specific bugs. Lets try to stick to PT 6.3.2 and higher as well. So anyway, I'll start:

--Option-K (toggle auto-input/all-input) is very unstable. Sometimes I hit it 3 or 4 times in a row while record enabled and nothing changes. I have even looked at the menu command and anything having to do with monitoring is grayed out. Some mousing around usually brings it back up. And now Im also used to ALWAYS having to hold OPTION and hit K twice in a row for it to take affect, i.e. switch from auto-input to all-input.

Random grayed-out edit functions like copy and paste for no rhyme or reason. Some mousing or clicking around usually brings the edit commands back to life.

Noise spike/click at the end of recorded regions. This one has me baffled. Why PT would add a click 60samples before the end of the region perplexes me. The main post is here

Arrow keys bug which is here

I have many more, but figure Ill start slow and see if there is interest in this thread and if it grows.
thanks
MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 07-16-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: The Definitive PT 6.4 Bug List

Stop at Shuttle Speed Zero magically turns on when using MachineControl (major bug from v6.1 that as I understand it has yet to be fixed!)

As for losing keyboard shortcuts, if you are using WAVES plug-ins, this can happen. For me, it only happens when using a WAVES plug-in. There is an ongoing debate around here as to whether or not this behavior is the consequence of a WAVES feature or if it is a WAVES bug.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:28 PM

Quote:
As for losing keyboard shortcuts, if you are using WAVES plug-ins, this can happen. For me, it only happens when using a WAVES plug-in. There is an ongoing debate around here as to whether or not this behavior is the consequence of a WAVES feature or if it is a WAVES bug.

When using Waves in general or when a plugin is actually on the screen? When its on the screen, the kybd affects the Waves parameters. It has always been like this. Either way tho, I see this bug when Im not using any Waves plugins. And its not all shortcuts-- just the edit functions. Can you add the link to the post you speak of?
thanks

MT
Old 07-16-2004, 09:50 PM

I can't find it now. It must've been in a deleted WAVES thread.

Anyway, when using a WAVES plug-in, be sure to click outside of the plug-in to get your keyboard shortcuts back. If you dont' do this, the "focus" is on the plug-in, which renders the keyboard shortcuts useless.

I think Rail can elaborate on this further (if he chooses to that is).
Old 07-16-2004, 10:26 PM

Or hit ESC
Old 07-16-2004, 10:34 PM

To me it is certainly a Waves bug, which they acknowledged when I spoke to them long ago:
The waves plugs should (like all others) ALWAYS return control of the keyboard back to PT when their windows are closed. They don't.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:20 AM

Prefs cannot be set like they were in 9.22 with 5.x
Listening to a sound in the region bin jumps the session to the start - the only way to let this not happen is to uncheck insertion follows playback - but then if you press play the session starts from the previous play-point and not the current position (so it is rather a play from loc then a continue...). Details i already described in the DUC...
Old 07-17-2004, 09:41 AM

Sometimes when recording then quickly hitting CMD-period, then CMD-Spacebar to begin recording again, the pink shaded 'recording in progress' region instantly fills the entire track to the end of session. Not sure if its merely a visual thing, because it does go back to normal when you stop. The annoying part is that if you are punching in a few points, you cant SEE what was on the track anymore, cuz the whole thing is pink.

MT
Old 07-17-2004, 09:44 AM

Dont know if this has to do with the +12dB extra gain, but I swear that waveforms are smaller vertically now by default. When I record at my 'observe zero VU' levels, the default waveform height looks like Im barely getting any signal. I always have to greatly increase vertical zoom now to see my audio chunks, where in pervious v5, their size was sufficient.

MT
Old 07-17-2004, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Random grayed-out edit functions like copy and paste for no rhyme or reason. Some mousing or clicking around usually brings the edit commands back to life.

Glad this one is coming out of the woodwork. I have re-installed everything including the OS but still have this. The best way I have found to get the Edit functions back is to Apple+Tab out of Pro Tools and then switch back-works every time for me.

As I have mentioned in another thread recently, I have a 'spinning beach ball' for 30 seconds or so before completing a function at random times in PT. If I switch to another program they function normally during this condition.

https://www.waves.com/r/9zsnwd