Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-25-2020, 10:17 AM

Default Arm mbp

I still run a 2011 MBP - works fine although a bit hot and heavy. I was just about to get the 64GB 2020 model when they announced the ARM switch.

What's the consensus on the upcoming ARM MBPs. Worth the wait? I have a feeling it may take a few models before PT syncs up. I heard it will be 50x faster which kinda boggles the mind but almost seems needed for working with video (and scads of plugins).
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 09-25-2020, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Arm mbp

Will be worth the wait if that old laptop won't die on your arms before that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonejunkee View Post
I still run a 2011 MBP - works fine although a bit hot and heavy. I was just about to get the 64GB 2020 model when they announced the ARM switch.

What's the consensus on the upcoming ARM MBPs. Worth the wait? I have a feeling it may take a few models before PT syncs up. I heard it will be 50x faster which kinda boggles the mind but almost seems needed for working with video (and scads of plugins).
Nothing will be close to "50X faster".. except maybe some weird mictobenchark. I expect the MacBook Pro's are going to be fascinating with the extra CPU power/power consumption/heat flexibility that ARM based systems will provide. If you are surviving today on an older laptop and can keep going for a year or two I would do that and see what happens. Worse case if things don't go well with Avid and the new ARM based systems you'll be able to pick up a used 16" MBP Intel at low cost to carry you over for several more years. Just seems no reason for you not to wait out the change if you can, others who need power today are in a different boat.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:55 PM

It's only died twice - both times required a display chip refurb. The heat got to be almost burning the hands but was helped by a modded cooling stand. Aside from that, it will be good to see a weight drop. It better be lighter than the current offerings from Apple - otherwise, I wont touch it.

Nothing will be close to "50X faster".. except maybe some weird mictobenchark. I expect the MacBook Pro's are going to be fascinating with the extra CPU power/power consumption/heat flexibility that ARM based systems will provide. If you are surviving today on an older laptop and can keep going for a year or two I would do that and see what happens. Worse case if things don't go well with Avid and the new ARM based systems you'll be able to pick up a used 16" MBP Intel at low cost to carry you over for several more years. Just seems no reason for you not to wait out the change if you can, others who need power today are in a different boat.
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 09-25-2020, 01:02 PM

As Darryl said, nothing is unbeliveably faster to begin with, but what Apple has led us understand their new ARM chips will run much cooler which will be especially great for laptop users. So if your current computer can survive, just sit tight and wait.